Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #1

Towing with full water tank: yes/no?

Can somebody set me straight on this? I have heard some people on this forum say that you should not tow with full tanks. I don't get it. One of the greatest appeals of owning a trailer for me would be the ability to slip away to a remote campsite in the middle of nowhere. If I cant take a tank of water along to give me indoor plumbing, I might as well continue to tent camp! So, if your tow vehicle can handle the extra weight, why would I not want to take water with me?
And, on a side note, I would think water sloshing around in the black tank would be beneficial for breaking up solids. Am I wrong?

Thanks
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Team

You are correct on both counts.
Many do not need a full tank of fresh water but the rig is supposed to be built to haul it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #3

I don't think anyone on this forum ever said you "should not" tow with full tanks. There have been many discussions where people on both sides have aired their convictions. You can do whatever you want. If you have inspected the tank supports and deemed them worthy of bearing 8.33 lbs. per gallon then there is no logical reason why you can't travel with them chock full.

Here's where I'm going to tell you what I do and don't do. I don't boondock camp. I camp at state parks. I don't haul stuff that I can obtain either for free or low cost when I arrive at my destination. In 3 years of owning my TT I think I may have used the restroom one time while in transit...otherwise it's at Mickey D's or interstate rest areas. My tanks do not appear to be secured in such a manner as to withstand the shock load of several hundred pounds while bouncing down Michigans fine roadways. So in light of this mini rant, I travel with a full water heater (6 gallons), enough water in my fresh tank to prime the pump and flush the toilet (5-10 gallons) gray water tank empty and 5 gallons in my black water tank plus 2 fluid ounces of holding tank chemical.

Having water sloshing around in your gray and black tanks is beneficial but can cause issues if you have nowhere to dump them when you get home. I travel home from the campground with 5 gallons of clean water in both the gray and black tanks. When I get home they nourish a green spot in my yard. Not even a speck of TP is intact.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

We usually only tow with what we need for the trip, ie bathroom breaks. But if we are going to some parks that may not have full hook-ups we fill her up!!
Cookies Cleared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #5

Thanks guys. Maybe I misunderstood some things that I read previously. I completely agree that there's no reason to carry a full tank if its available when you get to your destination. Most of the trailers I'm looking at have enclosed underbellies so inspecting the tank brackets may not be an option. I guess I would have to hope for the best. But, shame on the manufacturer if its built that poorly.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

I towed with a full tank (80 gallons) of water yesterday.

If the place I am going doesn't have a water connection, then I always fill up in my driveway before I leave.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
But, shame on the manufacturer if its built that poorly.
That may be true, however if the tank were to break loose and someone following your rig hit it and killed themselves or others, guess who'd be named in the lawsuit? Sadly that's the world we live in. It would probably fall under the 'unsecured cargo' clause of the law. (no pun intended!)
Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
Thanks guys. Maybe I misunderstood some things that I read previously. I completely agree that there's no reason to carry a full tank if its available when you get to your destination. Most of the trailers I'm looking at have enclosed underbellies so inspecting the tank brackets may not be an option. I guess I would have to hope for the best. But, shame on the manufacturer if its built that poorly.
Do not just "hope for the best." You can remove probably about 8 screws on one side of your underbelly cover and take a peek at those water tanks and how they are secured. I did this and found that the metal straps holding mine up were secured OK, but the water tanks were greatly sagging between the straps. There were three straps holding each of the two 6' x 2.5' x 8" FW tanks. I added two more straps to each tank (where the major sag was occurring). And now I have peace of mind and sometimes I do travel with full FW tanks (90 gallons total).

If you don't look and just hope for the best, you may find your water tank sliding down the highway someday. Others have reported this happening.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #9

Wow, I had no idea this could be an issue. Whatever I end up with, I'll be checking it out!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #10

Hi
I will not fill the water tanks, before I leave as I have to many hills to climb.
99 percent of the time I dry camp. So before I get to the camp site I will fill the tank
Then when I leave I will dump the waste water and fresh water before I head back to the storage yard.
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #11

I only keep about 5 gallons in my tank just enough so we can use the bathroom if we need to.
parkersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #12

So if you dry camp and leave home with empty fresh tanks , where do you get your fresh when you reach the camping spot ????
Mikeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
That may be true, however if the tank were to break loose and someone following your rig hit it and killed themselves or others, guess who'd be named in the lawsuit? Sadly that's the world we live in. It would probably fall under the 'unsecured cargo' clause of the law. (no pun intended!)
You might very well be named in the lawsuit, but you won't be found guilty of anything and your insurance will defend you and supply a team of lawyers. In your example of the tank breaking loose and killing some one -- which is not likely to happen, and to my knowledge has never happened -- you may be named but Jayco would quickly become the defendant not you. Even the most frivolous lawsuit goes after the deepest pockets and I doubt that is the driver.

@ McFarmall I am not picking on you, and in general I think you contribute very good information; but these type of unsubstantiated claims of lawsuits, death and destruction have no place in these forums. If you personally had that experience then by all means share it, but to simply scare someone into not using their RV in a manner its designed to be used because "you" don't think its built well enough is shameful. This question isn't from someone trying to exceed mfg published specs, or use something in a manner that it wasn't intended -- he is asking about using the TT in a manner it was designed to be used and in turn you warn he may kill someone and be sued.

OP, on several occasions I have towed my travel trailer with full 80+ gallons of fresh water on 200+ mile trips and had no issues. I regularly pull home with both the Grey and Black tanks full.

I personally would rather tow my trailer with 100% full tanks or 100% empty tanks opposed to partially full tanks. Having a "slack tank" allows that water weight to constantly be shifting which puts more force, especially lateral force, on the tanks and mounts than a full tank.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #14

Clubhouse, no offense taken. It's just that after watching the news for so many years and seeing the ridiculous things that people get raked over the coals for, it kind of makes you think of the worst case scenario for everything... Maybe it would be a different case if Jayco had stated in their manual not to haul water in the tanks and you defied the warning.

However, Jayco nor any other manufacturer to my knowledge has ever issued any type of warning about full tanks.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #15

To the OP: Don't know what trailer you have or are considering. The owners' manual for our WhiteHawk (in the plumbing section) expressly states not to travel with full waste tanks. I leave a couple gals. of water in the black tank after flushing to so I can add in tank chemical, some Calgon, and Dawn dish detergent. Was told by experienced RV'ers that do this it helps prevent or limit 'pyramid formation' and aids in keeping the tank level sensor free of......................accumulations.

As for traveling with a full FW tank, I have without problem, but generally don't because most of our camping is done with full hookups. I do share the concern some expressed regarding how well the tanks are installed, not to mention they are a blow molded polyethylene not a lot thicker than a gallon milk jug.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #16

If the destination has good water, we don't fill up at home. If they don't have water or if we don't know if they have water, we fill the FW before leaving the house. Never been an issue. The Black & Grey we dump before getting back to the house.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:18 AM   #17

Hi
I will fill the tank, before I get to the campsite. I live outside Vancouver, And all the camping I do Is in the interior of the province. I do not want to carry the water up the hills. We have lots of places to fill and dump.
I will leave some water in the black holding tank after I dump, after I put the chemical in.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #18

I always leave with full fresh water from home it is goes through the water softener and is better for the water heater and fixtures. A lot of the state parks are well water and could have lots of calcium or lime in the water. It is a white hawk but I have done this with a designer 5r eagle tt and a jay flight never lost a tank and have never noticed a huge gas mileage difference. And when traveling it is much easer to use your own bathroom verses a dirty service station or Micky ds.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #19

Hi
I am pulling up some very long hills, at best I can get the truck up to 50k and that is if I can get a good run at the hill. And that I am not stuck behind a commercial vehicle. Then I am down into 2nd gear.
So I do not want the extra weight behind me
We have a good rest area on the way to the interior. So going to washroom is ok, and it is a good stop to get the dog out. You can even stay the night, I have done it.
The headlights suck on the truck. Looking to replace them.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #20

We always have some fresh water with when in travel mode... Has not been an issue finding fresh water before we get to our off-road destination.

Start looking an hour or so before arriving.

We do alot of the Natl Forest areas and can usually find fresh water pretty easy somewhere along the main road going in.

I carry a 25-foot water hose with hand spigot which makes it easy to fill my fresh water tank.

I did it once from a McDonalds one time (with permission of course)...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote