Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #21
dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Was wondering when the Fiat Fanboys would show up to start bashing another F150 thread discussing actual tongue weights and actual experiences with a properly equipped F150 which is not "any 1/2 ton". Ignorance is bliss, stay happy.
Relax, its not like i am beating up your first born child or think of you as any less of a man. If you are comfortable with it, then I am happy for you. If the OP is exceeding the specs of his truck, then you might get called out telling him everything is dandy.

I never steered him away from a Ford, so I don't get the FCA name calling crap. As for actual experience, I DO have a Jayflight 28BHBE and have weighed it.

To the OP, go to the scales both with and without the TT hooked up. Will tell you anything you need to know. If you are over what is spec'd, then YOU can decide if you want to travel that way. YOU can also decide if you want to operate at the max ratings of your truck. I firmly believe also that playing games with weight to keep it off your truck does nothing to make you safer. This is assuming of course it was properly setup to begin with.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
We have a '17 28bhbe. gvwr 9250. dry weight 6510. hitch weight 685. equalizer wdh with sway bars. the truck we estimate to have 1600lbs of payload. estimating 650lbs of cargo in truck leaves us 950lbs payload. loaded total trailer weight distributed in trailer approximate 8000lbs. 13% of that is 1200lbs. Max towing package on truck, 3.55 gear. max gcwr 18,100, max towing 12,700. I know we are close to capacity but having the weight distributed correctly what are your opinions on this being a good set up? We were pulling with a 2014 f 150 with a 3.73 max towing of 11,200 but looking to change trucks since the lease is up.
Since I am part of the "Fiat Fan Club" (We also have a new Jeep GC), I will give you what my 2017 28 BHBE weighs based on actual CAT scale weights. My camper comes from factory at 6538#. My CAT scale weights are TT at 8480# with full fresh water and a tongue weight of 1240#. We were loaded very light in the front pass-through compartment. I had all the heavy cast iron and cases of water and beer in the very rear compartment and it was just the wife and I. We didn't carry anything for any kids or pets at that time.

As OttawaSteve will attest to, towing with a ProPride or Hensley hitch at max capacity is a very easy tow even if the truck is working hard. The proper hitch makes a barely adequate TV into one that works quite well.

PS...I would have bought a new Super Duty instead of the Ram if the salesman would have called me back at all when I was buying. Apparently they didn't want my $65k!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
Relax, its not like i am beating up your first born child or think of you as any less of a man. If you are comfortable with it, then I am happy for you. If the OP is exceeding the specs of his truck, then you might get called out telling him everything is dandy.

I never steered him away from a Ford, so I don't get the FCA name calling crap. As for actual experience, I DO have a Jayflight 28BHBE and have weighed it.

To the OP, go to the scales both with and without the TT hooked up. Will tell you anything you need to know. If you are over what is spec'd, then YOU can decide if you want to travel that way. YOU can also decide if you want to operate at the max ratings of your truck. I firmly believe also that playing games with weight to keep it off your truck does nothing to make you safer. This is assuming of course it was properly setup to begin with.
X2 The only way to get accurate measurements is a certified scale. It seems RAWR is ignored so often.

Even if yo are close to your max CC you could be over weight on the rear axle.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #24

Towing SAFELY should be the #1 priority for you and your family.

After the #'s are known ,only you can decide if it's safe for you.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
We have a '17 28bhbe. gvwr 9250. dry weight 6510. hitch weight 685. equalizer wdh with sway bars. the truck we estimate to have 1600lbs of payload. estimating 650lbs of cargo in truck leaves us 950lbs payload. loaded total trailer weight distributed in trailer approximate 8000lbs. 13% of that is 1200lbs. Max towing package on truck, 3.55 gear. max gcwr 18,100, max towing 12,700. I know we are close to capacity but having the weight distributed correctly what are your opinions on this being a good set up? We were pulling with a 2014 f 150 with a 3.73 max towing of 11,200 but looking to change trucks since the lease is up.
Besides your self how many people are in the truck and add that to the total also.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #26

Unless I'm read the weights wrong the OP is already over the payload capacity without putting any people in the cab.
Total capacity 1600 - cargo 650 - tongue weight 1200 = 250lbs over. (Or are you trying to stay at the 685lbs?)
So from there you need to add people and the weight distribution hitch for another 300 to 400?

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote