Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campinken View Post
I have no idea what this means.
P series tires are Passenger car tires. I don't know if Expidition's came with them or not, but it is possible that if you have replaced the OE tires and they were LT, you could have been sold P series not knowing the differance because they are typiclly less expensive. Each tire is rated to carry X number pounds (p series), so for example, if your expiditon weighed 6000 lbs, you would need each tire to carry 1500 lbs. That being said LT tires have more ply's (layers of rubber and steel belts) than passenger car tires because they are expected to and can carry more weight.
I assumed you have either LT load range C tires on your expidition or Passenger tires because many times the maximum tire pressure for those are 44-45 PSI. I would still suggest a load range E tire which is rated to hold 80psi safely and also help carry the load when you are towing.
To figure out what tires you have, look at the side wall of the tire. If the tire size is P---/--R-- (R means radial) you have passenger car tires. If the tire size is LT---/--R-- they are light truck tires. If they are LT tires you will also find stamped on the tire a load range C, D, or E. Most 3/4 and 1 ton pick up come with load range E tires from the factory because of what they are expected to do. I hope this helps, Dave

Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #32

right. All the P Op TV TT IMO LT WDH starts making me cross eyed after a while. Yes they are P series 275/55R20. 2403 lbs per tire. Thanks

2008 Ford Expedition King Ranch with rear air suspension, Husky WDH & SC
With:wife, my son and two daughters.

GO STATE!
Campinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #33

And why does the OP have P tires? Those Expeditions come with LTs, usually 17 or 18" depending on the model. DW's KR came with 18s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campinken View Post
I have no idea what this means.
OP is the original poster. P tires are a metric designation, usually don't belong on half ton trucks. They were probably replacements.
LT tires are Light Truck tires, which every Expedition I've ever seen came with. The 17 or 18 refers to the rim diameter, as in 235/75-17.
DW is dear wife.
KR. Poster said he has a King Ranch. We do, too, and refer to it that way. Most would not. I should not have used that one.

But I was on a roll!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #34

Ken,

I echo Rustic Eagle -- Without getting actual weights you may as well do nothing at all.

Without it you can't reasonably make any judgment as to if your WD Hitch is adjusted correctly, if you are within vehicle weight limits, if your tires have sufficient load capacity, and general if you have safe TV/TT combination. Right now it's like asking how long till we get there, but have no idea where there is. If you can't take the ~$20 and small amount of time it takes to get the weights, then everyone here is wasting their time trying to help. Do yourself and your family a favor -- load everyone up, simulate a camping trip, hitch up and head to the scale. From there you will get quality advice and great personal knowledge.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #35

By the way, I understand the reluctance to transition to a pickup. I too have 3 kids, all in car seats/booster seats still, and we made the move to a crew cab pu. There is plenty of room for all of us, including 3 across car seats. The only one who may have a complaint is our boxer who is now riding in a crate in the back. The upside of having a place to haul firewood, extra fuel, generator etc not inside the TT or SUV is really great too.

If you already mentioned it I missed it, is your Expedition the EL or standard length?
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #36

Reading all the posts, I hear "it's the hitch", It's the tires", "too much tongue weight", "not enough tongue weight"

Bottom line is... that trailer should not be towed by a half ton, it's even too big for a lot of the 3/4 ton trucks,

the combination of the weight and the length is the problem, you need maximum tow capacity, maximum payload capacity and maximum wheel base that you can get in a pickup truck to safely pull that load....

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Bottom line is... that trailer should not be towed by a half ton, it's even too big for a lot of the 3/4 ton trucks,

the combination of the weight and the length is the problem, you need maximum tow capacity, maximum payload capacity and maximum wheel base that you can get in a pickup truck to safely pull that load....
X2
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Reading all the posts, I hear "it's the hitch", It's the tires", "too much tongue weight", "not enough tongue weight"

X3
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #39

Quote:

X4
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #40

Towing woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
X2
X4 Sorry, but you are risking the safety of your family and others with that tow vehicle.

rotjovi2269 is offline   Reply With Quote