Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #1

Towing X213 with 05 Pathfinder?

Hi. New here, and new to RVing. Getting ready to buy my first trailer and wondering if anyone can give me advice with towing limitations. Wife and I want to purchase the X213 Ultralight which weighs in at 3995 unloaded, 5500 GVWR, 330 dry hitch weight. Will I be OK towing with my Nissan Pathfinder that rates 6000 payload and 600 tongue weight?

I'm very new to RVing and want to make sure I'm safe and do the right thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark G
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #2

You should have no problem but I think you'll find it will more then 3995. That's the base weight and if you check the door there will be a shipped weight with options. Mine is 4420lbs. Then you add everything you're bringing. I just round up to 5000lbs.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #3

I tow a x23b with GVWR about 500lbs less than the X213 with an 05 Pathfinder. I tow mostly in the flat midwest, but so far it's been adequate. I have no issues maintaining highway speed. You may need to pack light; watch the loaded hitch weight...330 hitch weight + 80lb WD hitch + 40 lbs propane + 50lb battery, and anything you store towards the front of the camper adds up pretty quick. But...I think it can be done. Travel with empty water tanks. I also have a BullyDog GT to keep an eye on my trans temp when towing. So far so good...
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Hi. New here, and new to RVing. Getting ready to buy my first trailer and wondering if anyone can give me advice with towing limitations. Wife and I want to purchase the X213 Ultralight which weighs in at 3995 unloaded, 5500 GVWR, 330 dry hitch weight. Will I be OK towing with my Nissan Pathfinder that rates 6000 payload and 600 tongue weight?

I'm very new to RVing and want to make sure I'm safe and do the right thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark G
I've been contemplating buying the X213 and towing with my 2012 Pathfinder for a while now. I've come to the conclusion that it will be pushing the limits of the Pathfinder, but is doable. I've talked to people at campgrounds pulling longer heavier trailers with a Pathfinder and say "no problem", and then there a people in these forums that wouldn't pull a X213 with anything less than a diesel dually (exaggerating but not by much). I plan on investing a fair amount of $ in a high end WD hitch. Maybe one of these http://hensleymfg.com/products/the-hensley-cub/.

A while back I pulled a 7000lb camper with a 1/2 ton pickup which had sway issues. I'm willing to pay extra to avoid sway this time around.

I will be mostly be traveling with my wife and a pair of 25lb dogs. Most of the camping will be done within a 2.5 hour drive and a fair amount of it at our favorite campground 30 minutes away right on the ocean.

I currently pull a 3000lb popup and 2500lb cargo trailer with the Pathfinder and it pulls both of these with ease. I'm not sure I'd want to pull the X213 up a mountain however.

I looked at a X213 at a camper show last fall. Pics are here: x213 Pics.
The yellow sticker weight, which includes all installed options, and full proprane tanks was 4258lbs. I'd really like to know the hitch weight though.

John
perfpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

I Have weighed my 213 a couple of times before trips and found it around 5000 lbs loaded. My 1500 pulled it okay but I was really having to watch my GCVW. I moved up to a GMC 2500 this spring and had my first chance to tow the 213 today with it. This truck is far smoother with the six speed and just feels solid towing on the road compared to the 1500. With a Pathfinder you will just have to be careful with where and how much extra gear you pack.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #6

We tow an X18D with a 2012 Pathfinder (V6). It tows fine except on long or steep climbs, then it quickly downshifts. I have a very nice WD setup and sway control. Loaded I am right around 4500. I would not want much more weight behind me, and I am always looking for a new TV (would love a Toyota Sequoia). We looked a lot at the X213 but decided it was too close for comfort on the weight with the pathfinder. Remember that the 6000 tow capacity is reduced by the tongue weight, cargo weight and people in the TV. I figured I really only have about 5000 tow capacity. If you do it, get a WD w/ sway control and be careful how much weight you put in it.
gvn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvn71 View Post
We tow an X18D with a 2012 Pathfinder (V6). It tows fine except on long or steep climbs, then it quickly downshifts. I have a very nice WD setup and sway control. Loaded I am right around 4500. I would not want much more weight behind me, and I am always looking for a new TV (would love a Toyota Sequoia). We looked a lot at the X213 but decided it was too close for comfort on the weight with the pathfinder. Remember that the 6000 tow capacity is reduced by the tongue weight, cargo weight and people in the TV. I figured I really only have about 5000 tow capacity. If you do it, get a WD w/ sway control and be careful how much weight you put in it.
gvn71, what are you using for your WDH and sway control?

Thanks,

John
perfpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #8

Its doable, but my concern would be the tongue weight. Even if you can keep the trailer to 5000#, at 13% its still over by 50#. I suppose you could try to counter balance it somehow...

Over the years I have twice towed very close to my rated capacities. Both times I knew what I was getting into and what the limitations would be. The first was a 3500# hybrid (Kiwi 17a) with a mini-van (summer of '03). The second time was with our X20E (4750#) and a Chevy Trailblazer (summer of '13). Like kvangil, I would describe both experiences as adequate. Both times I knew that towing in mountains would be out of the question.

That said, there is a definite difference between towing up to your limit and having spare capacity. We replaced the mini-van with a Suburban and later a Trailblazer. The Trailblazer towed the Kiwi beautifully even through mountains. Our current Sierra 1500 tows the X20E beautifully also. In other words, much more pleasurable towing than just "adequate".

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfpix View Post
The yellow sticker weight, which includes all installed options, and full proprane tanks was 4258lbs. I'd really like to know the hitch weight though.

John
Best way to calculate that without knowing for sure is to go by the GVWR of the trailer and figure out what 12 or 13% of that number is. In the case of the X213 that's 715#. Too much for the Pathfinder.

The only way to know for sure is to weigh the tongue when everything is fully loaded. You can do it with a bathroom scale, or if yours doens't go that high, use 2 with a 2x4 across and add the numbers. As already said packing light can make enough of a difference to make it work. When we towed the Kiwi with the mini-van we literaly weighed all of our stuff. It wasn't more than 350#.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #9

I have seen a late model Pathfinder pulling one and it looked like he was pulling it okay. I turned off to head to my campsite and they continued straight. I was hoping that they were camping at the same park. I pull mine with a half ton and I have no problems keeping up with traffic....sometimes I surprise people when I hit the passing gear and kick in the Hemi...I can actually pass on hills! My wallet gets lighter too...
Old 08-24-2014, 02:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfpix View Post
I've been contemplating buying the X213 and towing with my 2012 Pathfinder for a while now. I've come to the conclusion that it will be pushing the limits of the Pathfinder, but is doable. I've talked to people at campgrounds pulling longer heavier trailers with a Pathfinder and say "no problem", and then there a people in these forums that wouldn't pull a X213 with anything less than a diesel dually (exaggerating but not by much). I plan on investing a fair amount of $ in a high end WD hitch. Maybe one of these http://hensleymfg.com/products/the-hensley-cub/.

A while back I pulled a 7000lb camper with a 1/2 ton pickup which had sway issues. I'm willing to pay extra to avoid sway this time around.

I will be mostly be traveling with my wife and a pair of 25lb dogs. Most of the camping will be done within a 2.5 hour drive and a fair amount of it at our favorite campground 30 minutes away right on the ocean.

I currently pull a 3000lb popup and 2500lb cargo trailer with the Pathfinder and it pulls both of these with ease. I'm not sure I'd want to pull the X213 up a mountain however.

I looked at a X213 at a camper show last fall. Pics are here: x213 Pics.

John
I pull our 2012 X213 with a 2013 Tacoma truck. Max is 6400lbs but the truck is small. Dry is 4350 shipped and its the MOST i would want to tow with her. We are out west so mountains are a challenge (haven't hit any yet) but she's "moderate" to keep at 65mph on most roads. It's doable but not for the faint of heart.
Jesto is offline   Reply With Quote