Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post

yep. And I love Saddleback..by the time I get there I feel like I have ridden a bronc.It was marginally better last week. Beware the in the woods pop up traffic light. Good test of trailer brakes.

Where in almighty god did you find a late model Tundra barely broken in?
We were very patient. Ended up finding it on CarMax. Had to have it shipped from New Mexico. $1,100 shipping cost, but worth it for the price we bought it for.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:18 PM   #22

You're getting some poor advice in this thread -- based on dry weights, tow capacity, and other red herrings. These questions are actually quite simple. Payload, who/what is in your vehicle, and what is the GVWR of your trailer. Easy peasy.

Anything less than a HD truck will run out of payload long before anything else. So, take those tow capacity numbers and toss them in the trash. They're irrelevant for towing an RV. You need one number and only one number: payload (from your door jamb sticker). That's it.

The OP doesn't list the payload, so you can't really say. But, later in the thread, a response posted the following information.

I'll use this as an illustration to the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
I tow our 212qb with our 2017 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum. V6, full tow package. Rated at 6,000 lbs. TV payload is 1,149. TT weighs 4,403 from the factory. TT hitch weight is 470 lbs. empty.Tt payload is 1,097 lbs. [...]
Any trailer other than toy haulers and 5ers will be at or near the GVWR for that trailer. Most have CCC of 1,500 lbs or less and it's really hard not to chew through that with factory options, dealer options, cookware, leveling gear, tools, bedding, food, drink, fresh water, and so on. RV dry weights are just about useless.

This one has only 1,097 lbs of CCC and that's a number that's a lot easier to eat through than it might seem (again, factory and dealer options eat into this ... the trailer on the lot will have less than 1,097 lbs of available capacity).

When budgeting out what your prospective trailer will weigh, you want to be shopping based on the GVWR of those trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powhatanone View Post
[...] I plan to purchase a trailer in the 3,500 to 4,300 Weight range. [...]
You need to be much more specific about the "weight range" you're referring to. If you were conned into looking at the fictional dry weights, then you may need to recalibrate to the realistic GVWRs.

So, in this Nissan Pathfinder example, I'd expect the 212qb trailer to be 5,500 lbs rolling down the road. 12.5-15% will be on the tongue for 690-825 lbs on the hitch.

Anything less than 10% is unsafe, so, at an absolute minimum, there will be 550 lbs on the hitch. But smaller trailers (maybe longer ones, too) will always tow better with a bit more weight on the tongue ... and most will naturally do this based on where cargo is located.

12.5% is a good value to use for expected tongue weight on the tow vehicle. Again, in this specific example, we'd use 690 lbs.

Add 50 lbs for the WDH, and there's ~740 lbs. The payload is 1,149, so that means that there is ~400 lbs for everything in or on the truck.

An average couple is going to be 300 lbs (180 husband + 120 wife) or more. Everything else counts, too. If you added a LineX bed liner, stereo gear, offroad lights, tools, food, duffle bags, pets, etc. It all counts against the payload capacity.

You can see how tight this gets with even a smaller trailer.

It's a pretty easy couple of calculations, though.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:24 AM   #23

Toyota Tacoma 6 cylinder, 6800 capacity

I saw some people towing some decent trailers with Tacomas when I was back visiting my folks in MA. It surprised me a bit. I have driven the current taco(along with all the other mid sized trucks) and the V6 sucks. It had no low end torque and just driving on a flat freeway in a headwind had it dropping down a gear to hold 70 mph.

Ive towed my X213 with my Lexus GX, which has much stouter motor(330 torque @ 3400 rpm vs 265 torque @ 4600 rpm) and even it has to work pretty hard at times. I certainly wouldnt want less power.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:29 AM   #24

I have a Tacoma V6 with tow package I towed my my trailer from Texas to Mn. 3800 miles total. No problem. At 55-60 mph I was getting 11-15 mph depending on hills.
Don ohlschwager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #25

The HP and torque numbers for either engine option in even the new Tacomas are terrible. 265tq at 4600rpm? No thanks.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:48 PM   #26

It's amazing to me that there are people here that throw shade at others experience while claiming to be an expert on everything. My earlier post stated my personal experience only. I offered no advice, period.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #27

That's because people have different levels of expectation. Some people are satisfied with mediocrity, others are not. The more experience one gets, the higher their expectations become.