Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Don't forget, your RV dealer adjusted your WDH under "unloaded" TV/TT conditions (assuming WDH properly sized/adjusted)...., once a TV/TT combination is under "loaded" conditions (ready to camp) the WDH in most cases has to be re-adjusted (can't pre-adjust for loaded conditions). Once this initial re-adjustment is done it shouldn't have to be re-adjusted again unless your loading habits notably change.

Bob

That makes sense. I will have them re-adjust/re-check when I hook up to take it home. Thanks for your help!

While they were putting on new trim above my slide for the second time, I got a phone call saying a screw head backed out of my slide and ripped up my flooring when they moved the slide in/out. So they ordered new laminate and I have been waiting for it to get in/finished.
bret350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret350 View Post
...snip...
OK, so my old tires were inflated to 30psi when max on them was 44psi p-metric Goodyear wrangler rsa. Just had the service guy tell me.
Could it be that with all my checks, prep, research that I forgot to check the tire pressure......apparently. Could this contribute to my issue?
Yup. Have you ever had a tire go flat while you were driving (not towing)? Usually the first thing you notice is that the vehicle doesn't handle the same as the tire gets softer; it gets 'mushy' as the sidewall of the low tire flexes from side to side.

With soft sidewalls due to tire construction or lower air pressure, it is as though you have 'horizontal springs' on the trailer, tow vehicle, or both. If something moves one of them sideways, the motion is transferred to the other and then you have both of them wiggling at some rate. The softer the tire, the more wiggle.

Be sure your trailer tires are at the maximum, too.

Stiffer sidewalls reduce the wiggle. Anti-sway friction controls absorb the sideways forces between the TT and the TV and try to keep the angle between the TT and TV at zero.

Your TV front tire pressures can be reduced somewhat from the maximum. This will soften the harsh ride with the Load Range E tires at 80psi.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #23

Here are a few more things not mentioned. The dealer setup the WDH while the TT and TV were empty. They may have tried to estimate what the load would be added, or they may have set it up correctly for the current setup on that day. If you have the installation documentation and when you are ready for your next trip, aka you have both the TT and TV loaded up. Take the measurements and see if you are within design spec.

Also look at your tire pressures closely. A few years back I did not check the TT tires for a few weeks. On the way home from that trip we had very extreme head winds and I could not do more than 50 mph or the trailer was squirrely. Got home checked the TT tire pressure and they all were down about 5 psi. I know check tire pressure before every trip and top them off. Also you may need to play with the tire pressures in your TV. I changed tires last year. This past summer I felt the unit was just a little more squirrely than in the past. This fall for the last trip I increased the rear tire pressures in the TV by 5 psi, and the handling was much better.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #24

I have a Husky WD hitch and for my 26BH used 800# bars and one sway control.
Never had any sway.

With the current trailer I have moved up to 1200# bars which better control the up and down motion of the trailer over bumps or railroad crossings.

My tongue weight is between 900 and 1000# with total trailer weight between 6700 and 6800#.

No sway with this setup. Keep 40psi in p-metric rear tires. 32psi in front.

My pickup has 146" wheelbase and I would guess the shorter wheelbase of your Expedition, and soft rear suspension, and 30psi in your tires are all making some contribution to your sway problem.

Check the weight rating of your spring bars as well.

Oh Yes! The CAT Scale is your friend.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #25

264bh. 2007 expy el. P tires. Equalizer hitch. Tows like a champ.
yellowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #26

have you tried joy rider suspension rebound control &sway restraint system ??
Old 01-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #27

Thread Update

I picked up our trailer today, and it towed perfect. I was relaxed enough that I could drive with one hand on the wheel and even at 65-70 still felt good.

The trailer tires on the p/s looked low, so I asked them to check and low an behold only 22 psi. Trailer d/s had 40 psi. Tech put all trailer tires up to 50 psi cold.

LT E rated tires + second sway control + proper tire pressure = HAPPY CAMPER.

I needed tires anyway and it cost me $3 per tires more the LT rather than p metric Goodyear. Not a big deal and the truck drives a lot better with the LT tires (doesn't wander) A bit of a rougher ride, but worth it 100% in my experience.

Second sway control was $47 I am not sure if this even made a difference, but for the money...no regrets.

I appreciate all the feedback!

Thanks!
bret350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #28

Great to hear!
Old 01-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #29

Glad to hear that all is well now. I've learned over the years of towing boats & trailers, that sometimes something simple like a few pounds low on tire pressure can make a HUGE difference on handling. Thanks for posting your update, too. Always nicer to hear about a problem ending successfully, than hearing of one ending in tragedy.

Happy towing; happy camping!
Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Glad to hear that all is well now... snip... sometimes something simple like a few pounds low on tire pressure can make a HUGE difference on handling. Thanks for posting your update, too. Always nicer to hear about a problem ending successfully, than hearing of one ending in tragedy.

Happy towing; happy camping!
What he said...
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:01 PM   #31

So I am reading through this thread. I have checked my hitch, weights and tire pressure. The thing tows awesome until you hit certain roads. I have lots of issues in southern states where I-95 runs through. Seems rutted black top or grooved cement cause some pretty bad sway that doesn't occur normally.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #32

we just bought the 28bhbe and are towing with a 2013 Expedition. I can't speak with expertise, but with the first hitch the dealer put on we were scared to death on the freeway. (had to come home and purchase new underwear!)

After 3 break in trips, my DH came home did a lot of research and ordered the Equalizer hitch. Night and day difference!!!!!! The sway is GONE and we could closer to highway speeds (speed limit in AZ is 75, we still aren't going to go 75).
2013 Ford Expedition 2WD, Heavy Duty Tow Package
2015 Jay Flight 28BHBE, Equalizer Hitch
(upgraded from 2007 Fleetwood Williamsburg pop-up)
jillntim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillntim View Post
we just bought the 28bhbe and are towing with a 2013 Expedition. I can't speak with expertise, but with the first hitch the dealer put on we were scared to death on the freeway. (had to come home and purchase new underwear!)

After 3 break in trips, my DH came home did a lot of research and ordered the Equalizer hitch. Night and day difference!!!!!! The sway is GONE and we could closer to highway speeds (speed limit in AZ is 75, we still aren't going to go 75).
Congrats on a great hitch system, they sure do make a difference.

Just an FYI: trailer tires are typically rated for a max speed of 65MPH
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #34

ha ha, yes Filthy-Beast. What was in my head typing and what I typed didn't quite match. We weren't actually trying to go 75, but 60, 65 maybe even 70 in really good road conditions. We can't keep up with AZ speed limits, but we would like to make a decent showing and keep up with the RVers.

Previous to the new hitch we could only go about 45 which would make for some long road trips when we like to go all over the western US.
2013 Ford Expedition 2WD, Heavy Duty Tow Package
2015 Jay Flight 28BHBE, Equalizer Hitch
(upgraded from 2007 Fleetwood Williamsburg pop-up)
jillntim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #35

Love my Equal-i-zer hitch. I consider it the best on the market. Although, I'm sure some will argue that statement!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillntim View Post

we have the same camper and the dealer tried to sell me on a lessor hitch. thanks to the wise people here I held firm and insisted on an equalizer and I am very happy I did. 28BHBE tows with no issues not a hint of sway. You post hearing the different though just reaffirms that I made the right choice. Glad that fixed your sway issues
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #37

I tow a jayflight 267bhsw...just shy of 30' with an f150
I have no issues with sway

I make sure there is little or no added weight to the rear of my tt tires...that storage bunk is filled with light stuff...the bunks inside the trailer as well...most of my heavy gear goes in the front storage bunk

when hooked up I am level, tongue is slightly down

I never tow with full water tanks, especially the black and grey as they are rear of the tt wheels

my fresh tank is just over the wheels...

you might need to simply switch around the way you pack the tt...move more stuff up front (all of our clothes and bedding sits on the bunk over the tongue) maybe even shift it over the axels...lighten up the rear of the tt