Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgodsey View Post
Good to know my 2018 F-150 still has plenty of capacity. We tow a 30’ (28RLS). Had no issues pulling it home 800 miles through the smokies last week. We have a Reese SC weight distribution system (2x friction sway bars). Love the setup!
Keep in mind not all F150’s are built with the same capabilities.

You need to check either the towing section of your owners manual or the towing guide that ford puts out.

My brother just got a 2018 xlt f150 with max tow and his truck is rated at 11,500 lbs with his 18” wheels. Where mine is rated at 12,700 or 1200 lbs more just because I have 20” wheels. Of course the owner of the dealership told him it can tow 13,200lbs as it is best in class towing.

It seems strange to me that the smaller wheels should give more torque and I would think more towing, but Ford rates it the other way around.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmopilot View Post
If you want guaranteed no sway get a Hensley arrow or Propride hitch -

That is what I did 14 years ago and now I tow a 38.5 Foot 11,700lbs Eagle 322RLOK with still no 0 Sway my tow vehicle started as a toyota 4runner, then Dodge durango, Now F150 with max tow.

I’ve also heard good things about the equalizer hitch as your TT isn’t that heavy for a half ton truck, and this is much less expensive than the Hensley or PP.

You didn’t mention the hitch that you are using - it may not be adjusted properly.
How is the F-150 pulling that? What year and engine is your truck?
KillerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerRV View Post
How is the F-150 pulling that? What year and engine is your truck?
I ordered my 2018 F150 Platinum SC SB 4x4, FX4, Max Tow, rated at 12,700 delivered 11/2/18

3.5 ecoboost 3.55 gearing 10 speed auto

I only have put about 200 towing miles on it so far a mix of back country roads and Highway in Western NY.

So far I have noticed in tow/haul mode much better engine braking than in my previous tow vehicles(w much smaller TT), much better fuel economy while towing I’ve been getting 9-11 mpg not towing upto 24 on highway with wind at my back at 60ish or about 20mpg doing 74, around town highway mix about 17-18mpg

Typical rpms while towing have been 2-3000 and 7th gear at about 65mph

With the hensley I was on the 90 and about 12-15 MPH rear right side quartering winds big rigs passing driving with just 2 fingers on the steering wheel - very relaxed - obviously you know it is back there and acceleration is much slower than not towing as this thing is like a race car with the twin turbos.

I have noticed a little more bounce in the suspension when driving around twisty pot holed country roads and am planning on installing a set of ride control air bags to stiffen it up a bit while towing.

Is there something in particular you are interested in?
Old 01-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #44

Sounds like your tongue weight is too light. Try moving some stuff to the front of your rig. I believe the tongue weight should be 10% of total trailer weight.
Tinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #45

Thank you all for the information and suggestions. Hopefully my tongue scale will be here soon.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #46

The angle at which the hitch is mounted to the truck could have something to do it. The amount of links on the load levels could have something to do with it. Your best and s you’re the best and save us that would be to safest bet would be to bring it back to the dealer and let them reset it to the new truck. To better understand what’s happening go to YouTube and look up weight distribution U-Haul.n to better understand what’s happening go to YouTube and look up weight distribution U-Haul.
easevado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #47

Tongue weight is not the only factor to what you’re dealing with. That is an extremely dangerous situation you are putting yourself into. Unfortunately I answered this thread after I wrote the next thread in line. Be safe
easevado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Gizmopilot,

Quote:
snip...... now I tow a 38.5 Foot 11,700lbs Eagle 322RLOK with still no 0 Sway my tow vehicle started as a toyota 4runner, then Dodge durango, Now F150 with max tow......snip
Just curious, have you had the opportunity to visit a CAT scale (3-pass weigh-in) with your new F-150/322RLOK combination under "loaded" conditions?

If you have, please feel free to post your 322RLOK's loaded tongue weight at the following JOF ""What's Your "Scaled" Tongue/Pin Weight"" thread.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...t-57188-5.html

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
Thank you all for the information and suggestions. Hopefully my tongue scale will be here soon.
You do not need a tongue scale.

You can use a normal bath scale. Think maybe it's on utube......tells you exactly how you can do this.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Gizmopilot,

Just curious, have you had the opportunity to visit a CAT scale (3-pass weigh-in) with your new F-150/322RLOK combination under "loaded" conditions?

If you have, please feel free to post your 322RLOK's loaded tongue weight at the following JOF ""What's Your "Scaled" Tongue/Pin Weight"" thread.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
I weighed it in the summer, currently it is in storage.

I only weighed the axles and combined - ie one pass and am close and that was with full water, food, generators, etc. - I was only going 50 miles

When I have the opportunity I will weigh it again in the spring, prior to a WNY <-> FL TRIP
Old 01-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
You do not need a tongue scale.

You can use a normal bath scale. Think maybe it's on utube......tells you exactly how you can do this.
My bathroom scale is one of those glasses jobs and I figured it would be a disaster using it.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #52

I have had the same problem as well. As others have asked many great questions the main thin i see is that you changed your tow rig. Every to rig has different dinamics. You went from a suv to a truck. Trucks have less rear axle weight than the suv. So if you just move hitchs over, and just adjust for hight you may be moving[ removing nessasary weight off your rear axle to the front axle]. This can cuase a loose drive axle. The best way to fix this issue is to scale your truck and trailer loaded as if your on a trip. You already know your toung weight empty. So all you need is your empty weights on your steer and drives. Figure out your loaded vs empty weight. That will give you diffrence in weight gains. You should always only have 10% of trailer weight on the toung or hitch. Load your trailer accordingly. To adjust the distribution of weight look at your load leveling bars, to push weight to the steers remove a link at a time. If your to light on the back add a link. If you reach a point were the chain side of your bars are level to the hitch mounting position you may need a hitch rated for more weight. Most hitchs out there are only rated for 1000 lbs of toung weight. Most sway control systems are only rated for 6000 lbs and 26 foot long trailers. I personly found i needed 2 sway controls, friction style to stop the say. I run the same model trailer but its a 2015. I tow with a f250. When i switch to my expedetion i only need 1 sway bar, but i have to raise my hitch up and angle the head down. Ps sorry for the bad spelling and grammer
Fordrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Gizmopilot,

Quote:
snip.... When I have the opportunity I will weigh it again in the spring, prior to a WNY <-> FL TRIP
Appreciate the response..., and actual loaded tongue weight info is helpful for others considering the same Eagle 322RLOK trailer.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Keep in mind not all F150’s are built with the same capabilities.

You need to check either the towing section of your owners manual or the towing guide that ford puts out.

My brother just got a 2018 xlt f150 with max tow and his truck is rated at 11,500 lbs with his 18” wheels. Where mine is rated at 12,700 or 1200 lbs more just because I have 20” wheels. Of course the owner of the dealership told him it can tow 13,200lbs as it is best in class towing.

It seems strange to me that the smaller wheels should give more torque and I would think more towing, but Ford rates it the other way around.
Oh totally get that! I flew 20 years in USAF...I’m a huge weight and balance kind of guy. I need to know what it is with my jet and with my RV. Gotta make sure you have the right equipment AND setup, no doubt!
mgodsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgodsey View Post
Oh totally get that! I flew 20 years in USAF...I’m a huge weight and balance kind of guy. I need to know what it is with my jet and with my RV. Gotta make sure you have the right equipment AND setup, no doubt!
I’m only a private pilot, perhaps we will run into one another at one of the big airshows I plan on going to sun n fun in april and maybe oshkosh in July.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Gizmopilot,

Appreciate the response..., and actual loaded tongue weight info is helpful for others considering the same Eagle 322RLOK trailer.

Bob
I believe the unloaded tongue weight listed on the sticker from the factory is 1220lbs. And that is with nearly every option (including dual pane windows and the second 15K a/c, and the movable island- which I have since moved from infront of the axles, to next to the entertainment center - behind the axles(as it was blocking access to the bathroom while towing) except tankless hot water ( I heard of too many issues).

My receiver is rated at 1320 wd, and I plan on using the campers receiver to keep my WestingHouse Igen4500df on which should reduce it a bit.

I also installed 2 Battle Born Lithium batteries and a splendide ventless washer/dryer - and I have installed a hensley arrow which is heavier than many hitches.

So I’m not sure how helpful my specific rig will be, but I’m happy to share.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Gizmopilot,

Quote:
snip..... So I’m not sure how helpful my specific rig will be, but I’m happy to share.
Please do...., all posted "scaled" tongue & pin weights posted at the JOF "What's Your Scaled Tongue/Pin Weight" thread represent a cross section of JOF members loading habits/conditions..., and many of us fall into the "heavy" classification (myself included). Feel free to include any additional detail to the "personal loading habits" that influenced your scaled loaded tongue weight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #58

Quote:
I believe the unloaded tongue weight listed on the sticker from the factory is 1220lbs. And that is with nearly every option (including dual pane windows and the second 15K a/c, and the movable island- which I have since moved from infront of the axles, to next to the entertainment center - behind the axles(as it was blocking access to the bathroom while towing) except tankless hot water ( I heard of too many issues).

My receiver is rated at 1320 wd, and I plan on using the campers receiver to keep my WestingHouse Igen4500df on which should reduce it a bit.

I also installed 2 Battle Born Lithium batteries and a splendide ventless washer/dryer - and I have installed a hensley arrow which is heavier than many hitches.

So I’m not sure how helpful my specific rig will be, but I’m happy to share.
So, you are over your truck's receiver rating by how much? 1220 + 100ish for the arrow + your gear in the trailer. It seems like you are a prime candidate for a bigger truck.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #59

That is what the tongue was when weighed at the factory with full propane lead acid battery but nothing else.

I have moved things around to keep the tongue weight within specs as well as switching to lithium vs lead acid batteries that are much less weight.

I don’t want a bigger truck as this is my daily driver and a bigger truck would require me to get an additional vehicle as a bigger truck won’t fit in downtown parking garages etc.

I would much rather have a truck that can perform both as a daily driver and can tow when needed.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #60

Quote:
That is what the tongue was when weighed at the factory with full propane lead acid battery but nothing else.

I have moved things around to keep the tongue weight within specs as well as switching to lithium vs lead acid batteries that are much less weight.

I don’t want a bigger truck as this is my daily driver and a bigger truck would require me to get an additional vehicle as a bigger truck won’t fit in downtown parking garages etc.

I would much rather have a truck that can perform both as a daily driver and can tow when needed.
You are confusing me. I was not implying you wanted a bigger truck, I am saying you should have a bigger truck for that trailer.

You bought an 9500 dry/empty (assumes the small fridge, queen bed and no washer dryer) almost 40' trailer to be towed by an F150. You said you receiver capacity is 1320 lbs. The tongue weight listed in the brochure for your trailer is 1230lbs, which is dry (ie no batteries or propane). Add the heavy hitch you own, and you are already at 1320 lbs without a personal item one in the trailer. That would be one thing if you were seasonal just towing it twice a year and parking, but it sounds like you plan to take this all the way down I95.

I am a firm believer in the EcoBoost powered F150 towing. I towed my trailer all over the mountains and half the country with a 3.5. I wouldn't do it with the trailer you chose, though.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote