Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #21

We have travelled 4k miles twice with my family of six in the F250. Plenty of room and the kids are 14, 12, 10 and 6. The 6yr old sits in the back center. The older kids fight to ride up front for the view and conversation. Automatic transmission so not a lot in the way for them.

A year ago, before our first 4k trip, I changed out the seats to newer 2013 black leather seats. The 2013s have the integrated shoulder strap for the middle seats and bolted in without a problem. The rear center needed to have a steel bracket made to secure the shoulder belt to the floor, but other than that and wiring, it has worked very well and is super comfortable.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #22

We are in the same position and trying to figure out our next tow vehicle. I have been looking at the F350 as Ford is the only brand that offers bench seats with 6x headrests & 6x shoulder seatbelts. My new problem is now we have a 2nd dog. 1st one is ~15 lbs, so easy to sit on lap, new one is much larger at 45lbs and not suitable for riding on lap.

One option we are looking at is buying a Duraburb out of Florida with a 2009 - 2011 Suburban 2500 + LMM Duramax. They can also put a 1 ton axle and suspension to improve towing performance.

I am waiting ~6 months to see if the Excursion rumors get any more details as I would be one of the first in line for a modern 3/4 ton diesel SUV. The only other thing you lose is the ability to separate the kids when they are irritating each other (I guess cardboard separators works, but it is really nice to put them in 4 different corners of the car w/ 3 rows.

Eric
E_Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #23

I would not hold your breath on a new Excursion from Ford. The best you can do is to get an F250/350 (only up to 2016, no aluminum body models from ‘17 up) conversion into an Excursion by a company in Oklahoma. Custom Autos by Tim.

I believe (and I could be wrong) the reason is fuel economy. Ford has gone away from V8s to 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder engines to keep up with the government fuel economy standards. Even though it would be on a 3/4 ton frame (presumably), being an SUV makes it a passenger vehicle. If it were considered a heavy duty truck, like F250 and up, it would be exempt.

I would consider saving a lot of money and getting a good used diesel Excursion from 2005 and have it bulletproofed. You’d be about a third of what a new one would cost. Or, save even more with a gas V10

Good luck!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:16 AM   #24

I have 3 kids, teenagers. Sometimes they bring a friend along for the trip. That makes 6 of in in my Crew Cab F350. The wife sits in the middle front seat as she is petite and smaller than my oldest son. He enjoys the full size passenger seat and I enjoy the wife sitting close to me. We all win! LOL

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Benson View Post
We are in the same position and trying to figure out our next tow vehicle. I have been looking at the F350 as Ford is the only brand that offers bench seats with 6x headrests & 6x shoulder seatbelts. My new problem is now we have a 2nd dog. 1st one is ~15 lbs, so easy to sit on lap, new one is much larger at 45lbs and not suitable for riding on lap.

One option we are looking at is buying a Duraburb out of Florida with a 2009 - 2011 Suburban 2500 + LMM Duramax. They can also put a 1 ton axle and suspension to improve towing performance.

I am waiting ~6 months to see if the Excursion rumors get any more details as I would be one of the first in line for a modern 3/4 ton diesel SUV. The only other thing you lose is the ability to separate the kids when they are irritating each other (I guess cardboard separators works, but it is really nice to put them in 4 different corners of the car w/ 3 rows.

Eric
I will be swinging by the Ford dealership to pick up my Expedition this morning. Had the water pump replaced. I will talk to them about the Excursion and see what they say.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSjr View Post
My family which consists of four kids my wife and myself just had to trade in our Yukon 2500 due to major rust compromising the integrity of the frame. We now have a 2019 Silverado 2500 crew cab. I wanted to know if anyone else travels with a pickup and uses the bench seat in the front . Is there any way possible to make the middle seat in the front more comfortable for my daughter, or do we need to have the wife follow in a second vehicle.
Short answer is the middle seat of the front bench is not going to be comfortable and since the driver and front passenger is use to having ample elbow room up front, its probably not going to be comfortable for them either. Driving for a couple hours to a near by state park, you'll be fine. Cross country road trip not so much but still doable. In my younger days we made a trip to Yellowstone NP from Indy pulling a pup. Our tv was a Volare stationwagon and our crew included DW, our 3 kids [7-10] and my mother. We survived.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I will be swinging by the Ford dealership to pick up my Expedition this morning. Had the water pump replaced. I will talk to them about the Excursion and see what they say.
I'm telling you, if there would be a new diesel Expedition on the way, I will be in line for one of the first. I'd gladly trade in my Sprinter on one.
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #28

Ok, here is the story, stopped in at the Ford Dealership and asked 3 different sales folks an out seeing 2018 and 2019 Ford Excursions online. I asked if Ford is going to build some again, ..... No one knows.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote