Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #21

I just bought mine, and looked at all of the pros and cons of various options, and sought the opinions of several owners.

I originally was going to go with a canister rollup, but with a short bed I wasn't willing to permanently give up that much real estate. Thought of a soft roll until I realized it had the same security flaw as my Jayco pop up. Unzip a few inches of Velcro stick your hand under the side and pop the lock.

I ended up with a soft tri-fold as the best compromise (IMO), but also because it was the least expensive option. Should it fade, or crack, or whatever it won't be very expensive to replace - although one guy I talked to has had my model in constant use for 7 years through Canadian winters, and it still looks great, so I'm hoping not. Loosen two quick handles and it is off the bed in a flash. Since my truck has cargo rails, the attachment points are bolted to the rails, so it's easy to reposition accurately when putting it back on. And if necessary I can partially open it without having to clean off all of the snow.

Having it be non-weight bearing was not an issue for me as I don't think I would ever want to carry a load on top. Also I'm a TT not a fiver so don't have to think about clearing the pin box. These things probably would have changed my selection.

So far, I'm pretty happy with my selection. Haven't seen any negatives yet, but then I haven't lived a year with it yet. Time will tell.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I just have to look at the video to know they won't work. When those panels drop down and fold together any snow and ice is going to stop them from folding flat together.

I tried a RollNLock rolling cover when I had the dually but it didn't work when there was a bunch of ice and snow on it. Replaced that one with a BakFlip but it always let water into the box when closed up.

So far out of all the covers I've had the trifold ones that mount on top of the box work best in our weather. I've moved to using the TriFecta and just replacing it if needed. Just need enough to hide what's in the bed and keep rain and snow off the contents. Any cover out there can be broken into pretty easily.

There's enough different tonneau's out there that everyone can find one that they like and works for them.
The Peragon is designed to hold 300 lbs of snow/ice. You still would have to brush it off but sounds like if you are just opening one panel, those trifolds may be the better way to go...have you looked at the LineX products? They also make nice covers and some are trifolds.
IG @Pedal_withus
Youtube: Pedal With Us.
This is Jayco Camper #5 for us. 20 years of Jayco's.
rollingrockTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #23

Best cover I have used and wont buy any, other give easy access and can be lifted off in one piece, is a tilting soft cover looks great nd works great , only down is dont really "lock" unless you get a locking tailgate handle but then rool ups dont lock either https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Tilting+so...30_27_1000.jpg
Padriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #24

We've got a fabric tri-fold and carry it in the fiver when moving (it rubs the hitch on our fifth wheel when folded) We love it though, it's light and goes on and off easily. Cost less than $300 too. Covers the hitch and genny when trailer is parked.
divelaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #25

I’ve been using the Rolbak on my truck. Love the flexibility and security offered with it. I can still use it for locking storage.
Nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #26

I do not like either so have had a nice capper on last 3 pick ups. I get one with hinged side windows and then put a 10 inch shelf around both sides and front of capper. Can have easy access,leaves the floor empty and suits our needs wonderfully.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #27

I am on my third Roll-N-Lok on my third truck and will most likely never change. The footprint is small and we lose approximately 7" on depth at the top of the cab-end. But it is secure when needed and surprisingly dry. Very light weight but fairly strong. We have friends with a quad-fold
(?) and they like it just as well.
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by divelaster View Post
We've got a fabric tri-fold and carry it in the fiver when moving (it rubs the hitch on our fifth wheel when folded) We love it though, it's light and goes on and off easily. Cost less than $300 too. Covers the hitch and genny when trailer is parked.
I have the same on this truck. I can pull the fiver with it stacked at the front and it covers items stored there out of the rain. When I'm turning I use the cover as my watch point for the cap getting close to the cab. I have a SB truck.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #29

Question. Does your truck have a long bed? We are looking to do the same set up (getting ready to buy our first RV) and have a Ford F-250 regular bed and want to get a generator and have same set up as to have. Thank you
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #30

Does anyone know if anyone makes a bed cover for a long bed truck with a low profile rail mounted cross bed toolbox?

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Not asking what brand to buy as I know which one I will get........snip
..... and what might that be?

I had a soft 'snap-on' tonneau cover on my prior TV for 14 years, held up well with regular PM.

After looking at hard covers I elected to go with a hard tri-fold cover (Undercover Flex) on my new TV and after 2 years of use I do prefer the hard tri-fold.

I like the hard tri-fold security, quick/easy access (especially inclement weather), flat/flush mounting, and full bed access like my prior soft cover.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #32

This is a very personalized question and you will need to make your own decision based on all the factors.

I have a hard tri-fold on my short (6' 9") bed F350 (and previously on the F150). The brand and model were really just personal preference. They all generally act the same, with some folding, positioning and locking options. The fiver sits on the Andersen hitch behind it when folded twice (stacked) or three times (up against the cab). You would have to be over 90 degress in a turn for interference with the fifth wheel. I find it perfect when towing to cover the generator, wood, grill, etc . . . when 1/3 covering. When not towing it pops down making a fairly secure barrier from prying eyes, but locks only keep honest folks out of anything.

Not towing related: I have had many types of covers over the years. While the solid lift type by far looked the best and was probably the most weather resistant, it was a complete PITA to use the bed. The soft roll-up I had could easily be, and was cut into by a punk thief. The hard tri-fold is where I settled. When stacked, I can pop the mower, lumber or any tall items, in the bed. When closed and the tailgate open sheet plywood lays mostly protected underneath. I get 95% of the bed back when folded again and I have removed it a couple of times over the years quickly for 100%. It only has two hand nuts that attach the cover.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #33

Tri-fold here. Would not have a roll up.......just my personal preference.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt74 View Post
Does anyone know if anyone makes a bed cover for a long bed truck with a low profile rail mounted cross bed toolbox?
Do you want access to the tb with the cover closed? This means a cover that extends from the tb back. There are companies that make tonneaus that are designed to cover the area behind the tb.

If you want the tonneau to cover the tb then there's the BakBox & their tonneaus. You can also get tonneaus where the ront section will flip open without opening the rest (think it's Flex)
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #35

I ended up going with a cap on my GMC since we needed a place to carry a (empty) dog crate when going for extended trips (dog rides in the CC back seat). Since we were going from a Chevy Tahoe to the GMC 3/4-ton I wasn't really needing to carry rock, etc. in the truck bed, so the cap made the most sense in our situation.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #36

A little pricey but I have a Retrax Pro MX.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #37

I assume "roll up" means a metal roll up. I've had both. I currently have a Bak Flip that I find more versatile. Can sit on it, lay on it, haul gear on it, and it is more insulated. The roll up canister takes up about 12 inches of bed space and doesn't allow the use of the full length of the bed. The "Flip" can seem heavy when I am tired, but I just go slower. I've built a rack and can haul my fishing yaks while pulling TT.

2016 23MB Jayflight
2016 GMC 1500 5.3 4X4 Z71
jtrhodes99 is offline   Reply With Quote