Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #1

TT Nose Up, how much is to much?

I changed tow vehicles recently. In doing so I readjusted my Husky Centerline WD hitch. It required turing over the 10" shank to down vs up on previous set up.

For those not familiar with the Centerline hitch it is very similar to the Equalizer. The Centerline incorporates integrated sway control and WD into a single unit, not chains but rather an a-frame bracket the torsion bars ride on.

With this readjustment for the taller 3/4 ton Silverado. I am struggling to get the trailer completely level or even slightly nose down. All the other measurements are correct indicating adequate weight distribution, but the trailer nose still sits about 1" high when the torsion bars are engaged and no weight in the truck bed. If I lower the a-frame brackets the TT levels out but wheel well measurements indicated not as adequate weight distribution is being achieved.

When I hitched up to go on the last trip and the truck bed was loaded with firewood, bikes, full coolers etc the trailer road very close to level. However on the return with no firewood and empty coolers it sat just above level. That said the trailer towed great both coming and going from that trip...no sway and did have considerable cross winds during one mountain pass.

So I have always heard that a level TT is optimal, and slightly nose down is better than up. So my question, how nose high is too high for the TT. Should I be worried about axle/tire loading when the TT is about 1" high?

Thanks in advance for your thought.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure how much difference an inch makes. I just went from a 1500 to a 2500 also and turned the shank upside down. I am now slightly nose down, if I go up another hole in the shank I would be slightly nose above level. Rustic Eagle would probably be the best one to answer this one...........
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
snip........So I have always heard that a level TT is optimal, and slightly nose down is better than up. So my question, how nose high is too high for the TT. Should I be worried about axle/tire loading when the TT is about 1" high?.........snip
Good question......,

I wouldn't think a 1" tongue high condition on a 29 foot long TT would be an issue for axle/tire loading, but maintaining a level TT (or slightly nose down) does have a positive influence on TV/TT handling characteristics. As a rise in the TT tongue takes place (above TT level) it may begin to compromise the handling characteristics, but all TV/TT combination suspension systems will react differently under the same condition.

I suspect that even a normally level TT (static) could experience a slight "tongue high" condition depending on TV/TT loading conditions, and/or less than ideal road conditions (pot hole bounce, etc.). So I always recommend to start out with a level TT (based on one's typical loading habits) to minimize the potential "tongue high" effect that could take place while in tow.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #4

Load your front storage a little heavier.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote