Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

TV questions after first time camping

We took our 23BHM camping the weekend before last. Overall, things went well and we learned quite a few things. I had a couple of questions specific to my TV ('17 F150 3.5L EB SCrew, 2WD, 5.5' bed, max tow).

1. Overall, it towed pretty well. The 3.5L EB engine pulls the TT like its not heavy at all, but we did have a bit of "porpoise-ing" over uneven pavement that my wife did not like. What options should I look at to improve this? Higher tire pressure? Replace rear springs or shocks? Air bags? We are well within the towing and payload limits (below 50% on both).
  2. I played around with the gain settings on my TBC (built in). I started off with it at 5.5 and went as high as 7.5-8.0, but I'm not sure I can tell a huge difference in any setting. I ran 6.5-7.0 most of the time and the truck did fine with a hard stop from around 35 mph. Suggestions on how to fine tune it? I thought I remembered reading somewhere to set it, press the controller brake to max and then try to pull the trailer - if it rolls, its too low; if it locks the TT brakes, it is too high; look for the perfect middle - but I wasn't sure if that was a valid way to do it.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #2

Mine is at 2.5 and the TT is around 6 tons. Stop's perfect.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #3

Your "porpoise-ing" could be due to your weight distribution hitch being set too light or it could be taking too much weight off your hitch. You'll need to follow your owners manual for Ford's recommendations on setting it up and try to dial it in from there. You have plenty of capacity to run it with more weight on the truck but that could make it worse too. If you set it to take more weight off the hitch it'll make your truck ride stiff which the wife won't like either.

As for the brakes you should take the trailer to a large parking lot or empty street. Set the gain in the middle (5) and apply the manual brake enough that you feel the trailer dragging a little while going 15-20 mph. Do this a couple times to warm up the brakes then while going about 10 mph manually apply full brakes. If the trailer tires lock then drop the gain to 4 and try again, if they don't then go to 6 and try again. Keep adjusting until you find the right setting. You need to set the controller just below lock up for the best braking effect. Trial and error, you'll find the sweet spot.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Porpoising is usually not enough tongue weight.
Take the time to go through the CAT scale and set you WDH up to between 12-15%

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

I've had some "porpoising" with my 5th wheel. There's a spot on I5 in Seattle that the expansion joints matched up with my axle spacing just wrong and I'd get bouncing. I had to speed up or slow down to break the rhythm. Even if your setup is done correctly it can still happen on crappy roads.

Bill777x is correct concerning brake controller adjustment.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #6

Thanks everyone - I thought that was the right process for the TBC. I will give it a shot in a parking lot near our storage location (I think the lot there may be too small, but maybe not if I circle the building a few times).

The hitch was setup by the Camping World tech crew. I was assuming they knew what they were doing, but with some of the other issues we've had I'm not so sure.

I should probably also be clear that I'm not talking a serious nose up-nose down-nose up, etc. I consider it pretty neutral most of the time, with rough sections of road being the worst, but the wife had the expectation it would be completely flat all the time. We've only towed it once, so I'll try to quantify the experience in more detail next time to see if its a problem that needs adjusting or oversensitivity to a normal setup.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Porpoising is usually not enough tongue weight.
Take the time to go through the CAT scale and set you WDH up to between 12-15%

Best regards,
Doug
Definitely X2 here - Do it yourself. It will likely take two or three trips to the scales. Dealers are pretty much out to lunch on most things, especially proper towing set up. I speak from multiple experiences in which I engaged dealer ignorance and derelictions. Tow set up is serious and needs to be done right.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 AM   #8

Grave,

Definitely check the wdh adjustment as most dealers don't get it right due to setting it up to an empty trailer! Follow my signature links if needed for a ton of wdh info. And stop by the CAT Scale to verify your weights. As mentioned, it could have been the road you were on as well, due to traveling at just the "right speed" for it to occur.

As for the tbc, I start from a complete stop (in a safe location- empty parking lot for example) and take my foot off the trucks brake pedal to let the truck/ trailer start rolling. Then manually apply just the tt brakes using the tbc. If it fails to stop, turn it up. If it stops in an abrupt way, turn it down. Once it stops smoothly, it is usually good to go, but I may slightly tweak it once I see what the on road manners are.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #9

Okay, thanks for the feedback. Before our next trip, I'll check the setup for TV level/rise alignment and level alignment of the TT, and then take everything to a CAT scale for weighing. Appreciate all the help!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #10

Fill your TT with everything for camping and the truck including all people in the truck. Then get the tape measure out make sure you are on flat ground. Measure rear of TT to ground, front of TT to ground and Front of truck wheel well and rear of wheel well on truck to ground. The TT front and rear must be same measurement to ground if not must adjust weight Dist. Hitch. If the truck is not same measurement that could be to much weight for truck or warn out shocks or springs but that's only when the TT is level.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

For an F150 integrated controller, setting it at 7 to 8 for a full size trailer is what most of us set ours at. I set my 2010 at 7.5 after parking lot slow speed lock-up and back a notch method. TT and TV stop great both for normal driving and traffic stops and slow downs as well as emergency stops for deer etc.

As others mentioned, check tongue weight first for the porpoising and if tongue weight is fine then more WDH pressure will fix the problem.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote