Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Berlin Center, Ohio
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Do you want light truck or passenger tires?
I'm thinking of an LT since I'm really not happy about the wear on the factory passanger tires. I just had Goodyear look at them because they are so noisy, and he said that they are cupping. They have been rotated every 5K since I bought the vehicle new and he said the alignment is ok.
__________________

__________________
2014 X23B
2013 F150 Ecoboost Crew Cab
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,594
Sounds like excessive road force to me. Or the belts broke down in the sidewalls.
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,594
You can go with Michelins..like an LTX M/S but you'll pay for them. They make an LT tire that's E 123/120 rated for $287 + mounting and balancing. Kinda steap. BF Goodrich All Terrain's or Hankook's are another option. Not a huge fan of Continentals but some of my tech's swear by them. I'm running Michelins on my F250 and I love them. Had LT Goodyears on my F150 and really liked them alot. When I got rid of the truck it was only on it's third set of them and it had 225,000 miles on it. And they still had tread left. That's about 75,000 on average per set..not bad. I remember when I replaced the factory set and the tech asked me, "What do you want to put back on it?". I replied, "What do YOU think I want?" Duh!
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Berlin Center, Ohio
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Sounds like excessive road force to me. Or the belts broke down in the sidewalls.
The roads here in Ohio are the worst I've seen after last winter so that's very possible. The guy at Goodyear quoted Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar. He said they are more suited to my use. He didn't think E range was justified. And honestly, I don't think I really need that range for my intermittent towing.
__________________
2014 X23B
2013 F150 Ecoboost Crew Cab
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Berlin Center, Ohio
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
10 years ago I would have said go with LTs. But today's "P" rated truck/SUV tires are not the same wobbly "P" rated tires on your soft and cushy Buick Le Sabre, or that came stock on Suburbans 20 years ago. They are a tougher tire that usually takes a higher PSI and can handle trailers and light off roading very well.

Your X23B is only 200# GVWR than my X20E. I have "P" rated truck/suv tires that will take up to 51 PSI. I run them at 45 psi when towing and it's as stable as any set of LTs I've ever owned.

My current tires were on the truck when I bought it, they are Kuhmos. I've had 2 sets of Firestone Destination LEs on my old Trailblazer during the 8 years I had it. They don't take as much air but I think they are an excellent tire and far better than the Kuhmos. Since I'll need tires before winter I may buy the Firestones again.
I will say that I don't change pressure when I tow. I run 35PSI all the time. The Firestones are rated pretty high on Tire Rack.... If you believe the ratings that is.
__________________
2014 X23B
2013 F150 Ecoboost Crew Cab
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
The roads here in Ohio are the worst I've seen after last winter so that's very possible. The guy at Goodyear quoted Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar. He said they are more suited to my use. He didn't think E range was justified. And honestly, I don't think I really need that range for my intermittent towing.

They are LT E range tires. About $350 per tire on my computer.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
I'm thinking of an LT since I'm really not happy about the wear on the factory passanger tires. I just had Goodyear look at them because they are so noisy, and he said that they are cupping. They have been rotated every 5K since I bought the vehicle new and he said the alignment is ok.
Cupping is usually caused by something not quite right on the vehicle like worn control arm bushings or tie rod ends. You would not necessarily feel the wear, but it shows up in the tires. I don't trust Goodyear service any farther than I can throw a 50# brick of lead. It's a 2013, if you are under warranty I'd be taking it to the dealer. If not, take it to a local tire shop that does nothing but tires and front end work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
I will say that I don't change pressure when I tow. I run 35PSI all the time. The Firestones are rated pretty high on Tire Rack.... If you believe the ratings that is.
You should, not the fronts so much as the rears. It'll improve your towing experience. Mine also call for 35 psi. But I run the back at 45 when towing.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Berlin Center, Ohio
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
They are LT E range tires. About $350 per tire on my computer.
They must make them in different ranges. He said that it would be the same range as my current tire just a better tire because of a difference in the way the sidewall is made.
__________________
2014 X23B
2013 F150 Ecoboost Crew Cab
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,594
Ahhh.. that's possible I guess. But I don't have a listing on them.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Berlin Center, Ohio
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Cupping is usually caused by something not quite right on the vehicle like worn control arm bushings or tie rod ends. You would not necessarily feel the wear, but it shows up in the tires. I don't trust Goodyear service any farther than I can throw a 50# brick of lead. It's a 2013, if you are under warranty I'd be taking it to the dealer. If not, take it to a local tire shop that does nothing but tires and front end work.



You should, not the fronts so much as the rears. It'll improve your towing experience. Mine also call for 35 psi. But I run the back at 45 when towing.
I'll be taking it to My Ford dealer next. The reason for having them inspected was that I can hear a 'wup wup' sound when I drive. I can't see a broken belt so I thought I would have Goodyear check it out. All they found was cupping. I'm wondering if I still have a damaged tire. And, I will defintely try more PSI next time I tow. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
2014 X23B
2013 F150 Ecoboost Crew Cab
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.