Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2021, 03:30 PM   #1

TV Uneven Tire Wear

Hi Everyone,

I could have sworn I posted something related to this, but I can’t find it. Must have been on another forum. Anywho

I currently tow my 2021 24MBH with a 21 Yukon Denali using a 4-point equalizer hitch. I noted the passenger rear tire on the trailer would always be warmer and have higher pressures than the rest of the tires after being driven. At rest they are the same.

I took my TV in for an oil change and they had a new system you drive over that measures the tread depth. The tech mentioned my tires are good but the driver side front shows more wear than the rest of the tires. I’m worried something isn’t setup right.

I should note at times it feels like the trailer sticks to one side with the hitch. I have to turn sharp right to free it up, otherwise I have to turn the wheel passenger to correct the problem.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Campingfamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #2

One thought is a sticky brake causing more tire wear and heat up due to constant braking. Do you check your hubs with a laser thermometer? Also, could your hub be bent, have an odd spring problem, etc.

You might check the brakes for excessive wear compared to other brakes on the RV.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
Site Team

I had exactly the same sensation while taking our new TT home for the first time after the dealer installed the Equalizer. One of the bar socket bolts was over torqued. I loosened them up and retorqued them to spec. No more steering push from them, so it now is an annual maintenance procedure, They do loosen up and should be checked.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #4

Cant say much on your tv tire issue, however I pull a big 5er and installed a TPMS on it. My right side tires on the 5er are always warmer than the left side and my right rear tire is the warmest. At times my right side tires on the 5er get WAY warmer than the left.
I finally figured out why, my tv is a Duramax diesel. The exhaust goes right out the right rear corner of the truck. Being that it's a diesel, the exhaust is hot and coming out of the tail pipe it goes straight to the tires of the 5er. The rear tire on that side gets less air movement by it because the front tire is in the way. I've also noticed when my tires get REALLY hot, at the same time my engine is in regen (emissions nonsense) and the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe can get stupid dumb hot depending on how hard of a regen it's in. The exhaust gets so hot my buddy we camp and travel with has been able to see the heat wave coming out of the tailpipe of my truck going down the road, even in the heat of summer.
I would be willing to bet the reason your right side tires of your tt get hotter than the left is the same reason, the exhaust of your Denali is going out the right side and heating your tires. Not much you can do about it really.
Like RogerR posted, I'd check your brake linings on that side and make sure the right rear isn't wore more than the others. Since you have to lift that side to check the brakes, I'd also spin both front and rear tires equally and see if one stops sooner than the other. Brake hanging up, wheel bearing too tight,...
Old 11-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #5

My 2018 Greyhawk tires do the same thing. Passenger side allways run hotter than the Driver side. And yes my V- 10 exhaust pipe is on the passenger side along with the Catalytic Converter both are Very big Heat producers…
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I had exactly the same sensation while taking our new TT home for the first time after the dealer installed the Equalizer. One of the bar socket bolts was over torqued. I loosened them up and retorqued them to spec. No more steering push from them, so it now is an annual maintenance procedure, They do loosen up and should be checked.
This sounds like it might be the culprit. I’ll give this a shot before I tow it again and see how it goes.

If this doesn’t work I guess it’s time to break out the heat gun after a tow and go down the road others suggested.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #7

I was going to pull the hitch out and check the torque settings. It’s just the bolts on the under side of the torsion bars correct? 60ftlbs max is what I’m reading in the owners manual. Does everyone set theirs to 60 or do you do less?
Old 01-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #8

if you have a capable trailer shop have the alignment checked on your trailer if all the rest checks out...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingfamco View Post
I was going to pull the hitch out and check the torque settings. It’s just the bolts on the under side of the torsion bars correct? 60ftlbs max is what I’m reading in the owners manual. Does everyone set theirs to 60 or do you do less?
I think 60 or 65 ft/lbs is about right. I torque them, then check to be sure we can push the bars onto the L-brackets without hurting ourselves. Too easy gets another 5 ft/lbs, and too difficult gets them backed off and 5 ft/lbs less until they feel right. We do use their grease on the friction surfaces to keep them quiet.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #10

Great info! Thank you!