Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #21

FWIW, we tow our 9,500 lb. (loaded) bumper-pull Eagle TT with ~1,400 lbs. of tongue weight (15%) with our '16 Ram Cummins SRW with no WDH, anti-sway, or suspension mods (i.e., airbags). For us, it's a safe and confident tow under all conditions. Yes, we do incur a single push/pull when a semi passes too closely. Also, when towing in 25-35 mph crosswinds there is a slight side-to-side sensation of movment (which requires no steering correction). We find both scenarios a normal consequence of towing a bumper-pull TT. Our previous trailer was a 11,500 lb. 5th wheel. Yes, it was a bit more stable while towing, but we much prefer the bumper-pull's 2 ft. of lower overall height, lack of stairs, less interior volume for better a/c cooling, and last, but not least, the ease and quickness of hitching and unhitching (vs. a 5th wheel), especially with no WDH.

Bottom line, after towing our Eagle bumper-pull TT many thousands of miles with and without a WDH, we came to the conclusion the WDH did not offer enough improvement in stability (and sag) with our rig to warrant installing, adjusting, removing, and storing a 100 lb. WDH on every trip. YMMV.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingrockTX View Post
Thanks Doug

Here are my heights empty and loaded with WD bars engaged. (Note these are not 100% precise)

TV unloaded:
Front 41 3.4 inches
Rear 45 inches

Loaded with WD bars engaged
Front . 41.5 inches
Rear 43 inches

Camper is running a tad togue lower than level.

Not sure how to add more weight on the front. Less chain or more on the BlueOx Sway Pro.

RR

I know you said your measurements were not 100% accurate. However your unloaded measurement of front wheel well should never be more than your loaded with wdh engaged. Assuming 41 3.4 means 41 3/4" .I pull a heavy tt with a 2017 f250 gas truck. Have no complaints with my sway and wdh. It's an equalizer 4point hitch. I setup hitch to equalizer instructions for ball height and etc. Then measure front wheel well unloaded. Then measure front wheel well loaded without wdh enagaged. Then engage wdh and measure again. You want to bring about half way back to unloaded measurement or back to original mark. Never past it. The rear wheel well will be whatever it plays out to be it doesn't matter. I have never scaled my trucks. Trailers always handle very well. I have had some sway but it was in very heavy winds like you had but the truck and trailer moved as entire unit. So I guess it wasn't sway just the wind pushing feeling like the truck was floating almost. So I slowed down to 50 or 55. It was a hard 35mph cross wind with heavier gusts. It was interesting drive for sure. Good luck in your endeavor. You'll get it. BTW our trailer is a eagle ht 324bhts TT. 38ft. Total length and about 10k loaded.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote