Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2021, 06:35 AM   #1

Upgraded TV, Silverado 2021 vs 2014 hitch height

Recently got a new truck, a 2021 Silverado LT crew cab short bed. We traded in a 2014 Silverado with similar specs. Unfortunately, I forgot to measure the hitch height of the old truck, before it was left at the dealer. Just took our first weekend trip, and it occurred to me that I probably should adjust the WDH, if the hitch heights are any different. My feeling is that the 2021 hitch height may be 1/2 inch lower. It towed our x213 perfectly fine, so maybe leave it alone, or start tinkering with the WDH? Unfortunately, where I live level ground is hard to come by, so changing WDH settings wouldn't be all that straightforward. Anyone upgraded from the K2 to the T1 and took any hitch height measurements?
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #2

It's probably not the same height, but whether it's significantly different is up to you. I'd start with the obvious. Make sure that the trailer tows level. Adjust the hitch head as necessary. Then, check the front fender gap per your WDH's instructions. Adjust the WDH to ensure that weight on the front axle is proper.

Maybe everything is good to go, as is, but I'd get the tape measure and level out to check.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #3

I think the new GM's have quite a bit longer wheel base so I would think angles and heights might be different.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I went to a large parking lot and found a couple of trucks similar to my old one, measuring their hitch height. Indeed, the new truck hitch height is 1 - 1 1/2 inches lower than the old one. I guess I need to raise the ball on the shank by at least one notch to prevent the trailer from being nose down. I have no experience setting up the WDH (a Reese Pro-Series), last time the dealer did it when I bought the trailer. Any tips that may help to avoid common mistakes? Thanks.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #5

Best to not trust dealers for things as specific as WDH set-up. It's not that they are all incompetent buffoons, but they may not take the necessary time to set it up correctly ... as opposed to just blindly applying a rinse-repeat setup that works for 80% of the vehicles.

Best place to start is the manual for your WDH. You can usually find these online. There may even be some videos (for example, Equal-I-zer 4-pt hitches have good manuals and youtube videos ... not sure about Reese).

Then, take note of how yours installs and adjusts -- there will be some mechanism on the hitch that will adjust more or less weight to your front axle. You need to know what this adjustment is (sometimes it's washers to adjust certain angles), because you will likely need to do this once or twice.

Though you need to follow your own brand's manual, they typically work like this:
1. With your truck unloaded (no trailer) and on level ground, measure the distance from the ground to the wheel/well fender above your front wheel.
2. Drop your trailer on the truck's hitch with NO weight distribution engaged. This will cause your rear to sag and your front to come up.
3. Repeat the measurement in (1) to see the new height of your front wheel well/fender. Do the subtraction to see how much the front was raised.
4. Remove the trailer from the truck's hitch. Now drop it back down WITH the weight distribution mechanisms engaged.
5. Repeat the measurement in (1) or (3) to see the new height of your front end.
6. Adjust the weight distribution amount so that when you repeat (4) and (5) that you return at least half way back to the measurement you made in (1).

For example, I measure my front at 35". Then, I drop the trailer on it and my front raises to 37". That's 2" my front came up. I need to get down to at least half way back, or 36" in this case. I don't want to go over. So, I'll adjust the WDH properties until my front end is somewhere between 35 - 36". It could take a couple of iterations.

(Note that I already assumed that you adjusted your hitch head such that the trailer is level when dropped onto the ball -- you can do this theoretically, too. Measure the hitch height of the trailer when leveled and then set your ball height/hitch head to at least this height)

Here's an example of the measurements:

Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:44 PM   #6

you need a large heavy duty socket set to get the right torque on the bolt/nut.

so you need to read the manual it should tell you where you have to bring the front back to. So on flat parking lot measure the wheel well unloaded in the front then in your manual it will tell you where you need to bring it back to withing a +/- number. Example 1" or .5" etc... then put your trailer on and then put the bars on and see where you end up.. you may need to move the ball head back to get more weight movement.

The above is ONLY to get you in the "ballpark" you still should do the weight at a cat scale as is well documented.

you also want to be a tad nose high vs nose low.
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote