Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1

Urea Freezing in 2013 Ford 350

Has anyone had a problem with the Urea Fluid freezing in their TV? My son just called from Wyoming where his is snowmobling. Said the light came on indicating he was almost out of Urea. He tried adding some & the fill tube quickly overflowed. Itwas down to -10F last night. He called the Ford dealor but their diesel techs were on vacation. Couple of questions: 1) Since it is now overfilled can it freeze and break the container? 2) At what temp does this stuff thaw/freeze? It is only to get down to 10F above tonight. 3) What is the best way to thaw it out?

Don't ya just love new technology?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Google Search:
Diesel Exhaust Fluid is subject to freezing at the lowest temperatures. For example, Diesel Exhaust Fluid (made up of a 32.5% urea solution) may freeze at temperatures at or below 12° F. Although this temperature is encountered in colder climates during the winter season, it has not proven to be a problem for SCR-equipped trucks. Freezing does not impact its functionality and Diesel Exhaust Fluid is easily thawed within moments by the warmth of the engine.

Some automotive-grade urea producers are working on non-freezing additives and technologies. In the meantime, equipment systems are being developed and will be used to ensure that Diesel Exhaust Fluid thaws quickly. In fact, the EPA sees no problem in allowing it to reheat in the morning using the warmth of the engine when the truck is started.

While freezing may be touted as one of the bigger concerns with SCR technology, there have been no problems with freezing based on winter reliability and growth tests across Canada and North America. Furthermore, freezing has not been an issue among Northern European fleets in countries like Norway.

Q. How do I keep the DEF from freezing? What happens if the DEF freezes in the tank on the vehicle?
A. During vehicle operation, SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines. If DEF freezes when the vehicle is shut down, start up and normal operation of the vehicle will not be inhibited. The SCR heating system is designed to quickly return the DEF to liquid form and the operation of the vehicle will not be impacted. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf...es/MB10033.pdf

From the Cummins Filtration website. Yeah, yeah, a Powerstroke ain't a Cummins, but it uses the same DEF fluid/concentration as the other manufacturers do. :zombie:
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #4

Here is the info from Cummins' web site just to re-affirm what dougtoms01 posted.

Q. What is the freeze point of DEF?
A. A 32.5% solution of DEF will begin to crystallize and freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.

Q. How do I keep the DEF from freezing? What happens if the DEF freezes in the tank on the vehicle?
A. During vehicle operation, SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines. If DEF freezes when the vehicle is shut down, start up and normal operation of the vehicle will not be inhibited. The SCR heating system is designed to quickly return the DEF to liquid form and the operation of the vehicle will not be impacted
Old 12-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Grumpy,
Looks like we were on the same trail at the same time lol

Hope he gets it started ok.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Grumpy,
Looks like we were on the same trail at the same time lol

Hope he gets it started ok.

Best regards,
Doug
What's the saying "Great minds think alike".... It should start with no problem, he'll just get a low fluid light for a while.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

Thanks Everybody. He is going to plug his truck in to "Pre-heat" it so to speak, and then take a run down the highway. I really really appreciate the quick and knowledgeable feed back. He did call two Dealerships that told him that it never freezes. I got better information right here on the JOF!!! He does not have an RV, but maybe I should get him a JOF sticker for his truck after this.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

Just an FYI, I did a google search as well and found basically the same info, but posted it here because I knew that on JOF I would get the benefit of experience and knowledge and no one would be trying to sell me something. :hihi:
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

No problem Hausk,
If I am on here I try to get information for anyone. I know you all would do the same.

I really enjoy the people on here.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #10

That DEF freezes is good to know JOHN DEERE use's a different system that doesn't use DEF but our trucks do.