Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #1

Using an Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch off road

Hello All. I'm looking to buy a Jayco, 166FBS TT And I have a question. I've never owner a travel trailer - I've owned a Jayco Class C and a Grand Design 5th wheel. My tow vehicle is a 2018 Ram 2500 Long Bed. I want to go off road with my new Jayco and I'm not sure if the Anderson sway control will work off road. All of the weight distribution hitches I've seen say to disconnect sway control when off road. I'm not sure if sway control can be disabled on the Anderson Hitch (or if that's even necessary). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:27 AM   #2
Site Team

I've had absolutely no issue with the Andersen in off road conditions (within reason obviously). We frequent a campground that is literally 5 miles back a dirt logging road and there is no issue as far as the hitch is concerned.

No with that said, I'm sure that to a point, it would limit articulation. So, I would not be planning any rock crawling adventures with it. But if you use it on dirt access roads, in fields, etc., there shouldn't be any major issues.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #3

While we’ve been over some bumpy roads with our TT and Andersen, we’ve not done any true off-roading. The anti-sway function is built into the design of the hitch (friction cone and chains/bushings) so it is different than conventional ones. I would think it would work fine, but there are some here with the Andersen that do boondock that I’m sure can help you.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #4

To address one of the questions specifically, no, there is no way to turn off sway control with the Andersen. You would have to take the ball mount off and replace with a standard ball, not worth doing. I'm new to the Andersen world, but quite impressed, and I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere I was willing to drive my pickup.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #5

If you're off road don't see the need for the weight distribution hitch with that trailer and tow vehicle unless you plan on having the bed near max payload capacity with gear or other items.

Actually you would be fine without a wd hitch period in my opinion with that small of a trailer and a 2500 long bed. I have a good friend who pulls his Jayco 264BH without a wd hitch with his Ram 2500 long bed. Granted he drives like, well...he doesn't drive very fast lol. He stays around 60 mph and it doesn't sway.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:21 PM   #6

Personally, I would never discourage someone from getting a WDH. Many decide not to, some regret it and some don't. Rarely will you find someone regretting having one, most likely when they have to back up, or have to hook up heavy bars, or have to listen to it squeak, all non-issues with an Andersen.

Also kudos to the OP for spelling Andersen correctly!
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

Old 08-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #7

I use an Andersen WDH with my setup, and I'm on dirt/forest service roads here in Montana most of the time. I haven't noticed a problem. I have even made some pretty sharp turn maneuvers (by necessity lol) and have not noticed any problems. Maybe the only thing I notice that sometimes is a pain is getting the WDH ring back on the hitch when hooking back up.
With the TV you have, towing a 166 should be a breeze. Have fun.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Actually you would be fine without a wd hitch period in my opinion with that small of a trailer and a 2500 long bed. I have a good friend who pulls his Jayco 264BH without a wd hitch with his Ram 2500 long bed. Granted he drives like, well...he doesn't drive very fast lol. He stays around 60 mph and it doesn't sway.
I'm with Jerry. While it certainly woulnd't hurt, I'm not sure how much benefit any WHD is going to provide with your set up. A 3/4-ton truck should pull that trailer just fine.

I would give it a try before investing in a WDH.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #9

Just a thought to share regarding off-road and WDH's. You certainly can damage the RV's frame and\or hitch itself by using a wdh off-road. The damage is specific though to when you go into a a deep dip in the road that places the Truck in an upward angle while the trailer is in a downward angle which over stresses the wdh and could bend the A frame of the RV, especially those TT's with the lighter frames.

My advice is not to use a WDH when anywhere that you may encounter significant low spots (dips) and in particular those that are similar in length as to your TV\TT length. In fact as others suggested, I would check the tongue weight of the TT and what your truck is rated for, or just try it out first. Personally, I wouldn't use a wdh if it wasn't needed but I may would like to have a stabilizer which many times are combined with a wdh depending on which one. ~CA
Old 08-27-2022, 07:11 AM   #10

We put a couple of hundred miles on the TT each year on logging roads. Some have huge dips and potholes ( if they are not logging the road owners do not do maintenance). We have not had issues with the Andersen though the frame on our trailer is beefier than the single axle trailers.

Yes you can disable the Andersen if off road if you wish.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:14 AM   #11

As above, just take off the triangle plate or loosen the chain nuts to the max if you are on a road that has really big dips and bumps. Then there is no strain on the a-frame and simple to connect when you hit a highway. Very unlikely you will have a sway event at 10 to 20 MPH on rough roads!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:26 AM   #12

No sway but bounce events are exciting!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
As above, just take off the triangle plate or loosen the chain nuts to the max if you are on a road that has really big dips and bumps. Then there is no strain on the a-frame and simple to connect when you hit a highway. Very unlikely you will have a sway event at 10 to 20 MPH on rough roads!
Hey just a follow up. When you have loosened the nuts, how do you know how much to tighten them again. It's my thinking that you need to be on level ground to re-establish the right tension? dunno. Just asking. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #14

Standard technique is to look at how many threads are exposed when it is set correctly and return it to that point. You could choose to measure the exposed links. You could choose to count the number of rotations from when the nut is flat with the end of the bolt. Any of the above will get you to where you were, within tolerance.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBr View Post
Standard technique is to look at how many threads are exposed when it is set correctly and return it to that point. You could choose to measure the exposed links. You could choose to count the number of rotations from when the nut is flat with the end of the bolt. Any of the above will get you to where you were, within tolerance.
Once I had mine dialed in, I noted how many threads were exposed and actually put a black Sharpie line on them up against the nut. I also drew a straight line on the side of the nut and onto the threads for precision. If the two lines separate, I know the nut has turned slightly. Probably overkill, but it saves guesswork if I have to loosen them for some reason.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #16

As above I am at 6 and 1/2 threads on both sides when load as usual. If I am running with a full tank of water I may run it up to 7 turns. In that area my nose is down, sway is near zero and car drive feels secure. Past scale tests show this is the correct balance.

I like the idea of a sharpy mark to help speed it up when dark, rainy, etc.

I do take my chains off when parked for a long time or in storage to stop rust and/or theft.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 12:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Hello All. I'm looking to buy a Jayco, 166FBS TT And I have a question. I've never owner a travel trailer - I've owned a Jayco Class C and a Grand Design 5th wheel. My tow vehicle is a 2018 Ram 2500 Long Bed. I want to go off road with my new Jayco and I'm not sure if the Anderson sway control will work off road. All of the weight distribution hitches I've seen say to disconnect sway control when off road. I'm not sure if sway control can be disabled on the Anderson Hitch (or if that's even necessary). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
We have a Husky Centerline TS hitch and when "off road" to destination I simply remove the bars and store them in the PVC pipe containers I made. Not sure what all the hype is about Anderson as my hitch has performed wonderfully in any and all conditions over thousands of miles.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 12:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
Not sure what all the hype is about Anderson as my hitch has performed wonderfully in any and all conditions over thousands of miles.
All of the "hype" is no heavy arse bars to lift and store, no sway controller to muss with, and a simple WDH system.

All greatly appreciated when you get older!!

I have also owned 4 different generations of Reese WDH and won't go back to a bar type WDH.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:31 PM   #19

Anderson makes a great line of products. I am sure you would be fine off road with it in use. Would likely help with the bouncing on rough roads.

As for having a 3/4 ton truck and not "needing" weight distribution or anti sway NO that's is 100% wrong. The law states and if you would like the exact law I can provide that. It dose very slightly from state to state. The law is if the "rv'" yes its specifically for RV's not cargo trailers.if the rv is more then 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle weight distribution is required. So if you have a 3/4 ton cew cab 4x4 long bed your truck is likely about 7500lbs ish. Thay means any rv trailer over 3750 lbs would require use of WD. Some states say 100% of the weight of you vehicle. Also look at your truck you will like find it states in the owners manual that you are good upto 500 lbs of hitch weight Maybe as high as 1000lbs. Anything over thay the truck needs weight distribution hitch. And normally it also states your max towing without a weight distribution hitch is about 30% or so of your max trailer capacity. So can you get away without one yes until you can't. Some states would consider an accident with an rv not using WD negligence. For a few hundred bucks it's worth it.

I have a 1 ton and use WD with a 6500lb RV and have hauled it to and from storage without and my truck dose fine without but I look at it like an insurance policy I only have to pay for once.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
Not sure what all the hype is about Anderson
"Hype" has a definite negative connotation, that in this case is hard to justify. Each user of (or non-user of) a WDH has their own reasons. In my case, which is not an uncommon one, I planned to tow a Micro with 600 lbs plus tongue weight with a Grand Cherokee. Towing these small trailers with an SUV is not at all uncommon - I saw 6 yesterday walking around the state park I'm in now, 3 with trailers larger than mine, 2 about the same, and 1 smaller. One "feature" of towing like this is the limited Payload. With my wife, myself, our dog, and the tongue weight we were within 50 to 100 lbs of the limit. No cargo in the GC at all. The only WDH that is under 90 lbs, that I'm aware of, is the Andersen at 55.

That was MY exclusive reason to go with it originally, although the more I use it the better I like it. The original reason went away after only one trip; did OK, but I was "uncomfortable," hence the current F150.