Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #41

A lot of that said is probably true on a gas engine. My Druamax in t/h mode and the engine brake on the cruise control keeps speed and will auto downshift if it can't maintain speed and/or the engine RPM drops extremely low. It will still stay engaged at set speed and if it picks up speed descending a steep grade, around +4 mph, the engine brake kicks in to get it slowed to the set speed and depending it will downshift the trans to keep it from speed runaway. Regardless of going uphill or downhill with cruise on, if you tap the brake pedal, it kicks the cruise off. Every time.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:42 AM   #42

When we had a TT, I never used cruise control. I guess I was always one of those guys that felt like I wasn't really driving if I wasn't in control of the gas pedal. However, I find now that I'm older and with the FW, I find I get better fuel mileage by using the cruise control at 65 mph. I can always accelerate to pass when necessary.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:16 AM   #43

I use the cruise towing the TT on flat, open ground. In the rolling terrain of Missouri, I tend to avoid the cruise. The 6.2 gas and the 6 speed work well together but the cruise computer waits too long on uphill grades to downshift to build up RPMs.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #44

With the equipment in my signature, when towing, I use Tow/Haul mode, lock out 6th gear, and use cruise when ever traffic, road conditions, and weather permit.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:24 AM   #45

Tow and cruise

Can I use both at same time?
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchesrv View Post
Should be able to. I always did with a GM product.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
The problem is that the cruise control can't see a grade coming. So it will allow the rig to drop as much as 5 mph without downshifting. Then it will downshift to 3rd gear at WOT trying to gain back that 5 mph (which it won't be able to do).

Instead, it's better, smarter, and easier on the equipment if you give it a little throttle AHEAD of the grade, get one gear downshift, and maintain speed as you go up the grade. Then the rig is already in the appropriate gear at the appropriate RPM to maintain speed up the grade instead of trying to make up lost speed and momentum.

That tactic tends to work better in hilly terrain or in an urban area where you're going up and down overpasses. If you're pulling a long, steep grade, you probably need a different tactic.

If you hit enough of a grade and bleed enough speed, the cruise control will cut off anyway. It's designed to maintain a set speed at whatever cost, not to drive for you.
This the newer software tries to save gas... and downshifts late.. very late.. on steep grades I've had it drop 10mph.. on my old truck I did what you do.. it just walked right up the grade without screaming like chicken little...

Then I went back to a diesel...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:35 PM   #48

Quote:
For sure!! I always do.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #49

Results

Quote:

Sure you can use both...My first tow with the Nissan, I made a little over 100 miles and needed gas! Started out full, but discovered this when leaving Herford, Tx on US60 heading west: Engaged tow mode before dropping into gear. Attained speed of 65 mph on less than point five percent (0.5%) grade running in 5th at about 2,100 rpm. Turned on cruise and engaged...IMMEDIATE response was to lose two gears which put the tach at 4,100 rpm. Well...this ain't gonna work...so I disengaged cruise, a little slow shifting back up to 5th, but here I am pedaling along at 65 mph 2,100 rpm pulling just fine. Crested a hill, repeat...when I got to the first 'rise in the road' lost two gears again and immediately. Experimented all the way to Clovis, found the cruise useless. Turned off tow mode and it worked better, but would still take the engine revs to the stratosphere, but shifts were not as firm...I use tow mode to keep transmission cooler, avoid cruise to keep from running the engine like I'm at Talledega. I'm almost certain I had not engaged tow mode when leaving home, between the 'not towing' mode and cruise it at gas like crazy. Next stop for fuel was 210 miles down the road, instead of 5.6 mpg, was getting 10.2 mpg. I use tow mode to keep Your results will vary.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Yup.

4 GM trucks, a Ram 2500, and Ford E-450 chassis ... all I have towed with and use T/H mode AND cruise. T/H mode is a constant given for me; always on when towing/hauling. Cruise is used when appropriate, and managed as necessary with driver input.

One thing I've discovered as an aside: I'm a STRONG proponent for "managing" your cruise (as you can see if you read this thread). I've recently started towing a moderately heavy boat with a 2018 Tahoe Z-71. I can't hear that motor at all in the cab. So unless I'm constantly watching the tach, I literally can't tell when shifts are happening. Plus managing the pedal is different in this particular truck. I haven't messed with it a lot, but from the couple times I've tried, I can't get the transmission to just drop one gear. If I goose it, I'm going to drop 2 gears every time it seems.

Also, it seems the "manual shift" button on the gear selector doesn't work? Again, haven't really messed with it a lot to figure it out, but it definitely doesn't work like the one on my Ram did...

The advantage in this Tahoe is that I have a digital transmission temp readout. So I just set the truck to T/H, set the cruise, and watched the trans temp for quite a while. The temp very rarely went over 200 degrees (I think the highest I saw was 206?), so I haven't bothered trying to manage the pedal as much, or figure out the manual gear select button ... yet...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:14 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
Sure you can use both...My first tow with the Nissan, I made a little over 100 miles and needed gas! Started out full, but discovered this when leaving Herford, Tx on US60 heading west: Engaged tow mode before dropping into gear. .
I too have a Titan,,,a bit older than yours. I think the only tow mode diff between the two is you have two more gears than I do....but the same rear diff ratio. I've learned, as you have at the gas pump, to hit the road always in tow mode, I do use cruise on highways, but never in an area with any grades. I also use the shift stem lockout to prevent the truck from going into top gear. By design of the Nissan trans, the top gear will not allow the torque converter to lock....which creates a lot of heat and cooks the fluid if you push. I have an additional trans cooler, but why take chances. Good luck.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:42 AM   #52

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Yup.

4 GM trucks, a Ram 2500, and Ford E-450 chassis ... all I have towed with and use T/H mode AND cruise. T/H mode is a constant given for me; always on when towing/hauling. Cruise is used when appropriate, and managed as necessary with driver input.

One thing I've discovered as an aside: I'm a STRONG proponent for "managing" your cruise (as you can see if you read this thread). I've recently started towing a moderately heavy boat with a 2018 Tahoe Z-71. I can't hear that motor at all in the cab. So unless I'm constantly watching the tach, I literally can't tell when shifts are happening. Plus managing the pedal is different in this particular truck. I haven't messed with it a lot, but from the couple times I've tried, I can't get the transmission to just drop one gear. If I goose it, I'm going to drop 2 gears every time it seems.

Also, it seems the "manual shift" button on the gear selector doesn't work? Again, haven't really messed with it a lot to figure it out, but it definitely doesn't work like the one on my Ram did...

The advantage in this Tahoe is that I have a digital transmission temp readout. So I just set the truck to T/H, set the cruise, and watched the trans temp for quite a while. The temp very rarely went over 200 degrees (I think the highest I saw was 206?), so I haven't bothered trying to manage the pedal as much, or figure out the manual gear select button ... yet...
Lol, you wouldn't like the new SD and HD Trans temps then. I know 2017 and up Fords superduty, and not 100% when on on GM, but it's normal and perfectly acceptable to see Trans temps 210-220. Oil stays up there too. Some guys even in the 230 range, again considered perfectly acceptable. I know used to anything even close to going over 180 on Trans I was worried
Old 07-31-2021, 07:05 AM   #53

We recently completed a trip with our 2018 RAM 1500 and 21QB. We travelled from lower Alabama ( 7 miles from the coast ) to Houston, Tulsa, Wichita, Vicksburg, MS and back home. We always use T/H, no exceptions when towing. On the highway, cruise is set to 65 or less depending on posted limit. With our combo this works great and it keeps my wife’s speed in check when she is driving. The Hemi and 8 spd even with 3.21 gears works wonders. On long uphill grades the 8spd really shines and yes the Hemi will sometimes like to rev but it’s designed for that when needed. Never experienced unusually high fluid temps and overall a very pleasant trip with the exception of the Indian Nation Turnpike. I will go out of my way to avoid ever traveling that again. Way too harsh a road.

There are way too many variables to make blanket recommendations on the use of T/H and CC. Each tow rig and driver is different. BTW, our average mileage while towing was 10.6 mpg.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:29 AM   #54

Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxy View Post
We recently completed a trip with our 2018 RAM 1500 and 21QB. We travelled from lower Alabama ( 7 miles from the coast ) to Houston, Tulsa, Wichita, Vicksburg, MS and back home. We always use T/H, no exceptions when towing. On the highway, cruise is set to 65 or less depending on posted limit. With our combo this works great and it keeps my wife’s speed in check when she is driving. The Hemi and 8 spd even with 3.21 gears works wonders. On long uphill grades the 8spd really shines and yes the Hemi will sometimes like to rev but it’s designed for that when needed. Never experienced unusually high fluid temps and overall a very pleasant trip with the exception of the Indian Nation Turnpike. I will go out of my way to avoid ever traveling that again. Way too harsh a road.

There are way too many variables to make blanket recommendations on the use of T/H and CC. Each tow rig and driver is different. BTW, our average mileage while towing was 10.6 mpg.

Prior to (former) FCA reacquiring my 2019 'New' RAM, found the Hemi engine to be quite robust, but the transmission being the weak link, with your exact setup in the newer design.
Regarding Okie roads, others to avoid are US 412 between Clayton, NM and Garber, Ok; I-40 East of OKC.; US 69 Red River (Lake Texoma) to Kansas state line. Good luck, y'all.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:25 PM   #55

Quote:
I use both at the same time.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:51 AM   #56

I use the cruise control all the time, I have the manual 6 speed transmission so I don’t have the tow/haul mode, when I need to shift, I shift, anytime the clutch is depressed the cruise control is canceled, never have issues with searching for gears, I run in 6th gear most the time until an incline requires me to shift, highest engine temperature in 182,000 miles was 220 degrees, most often runs around 204-208 while pulling the trailer even on hot days. Transmission temperature is never an issue, it doesn’t even monitor the temperature, even with a scangaugeII, it doesn’t have the x-codes for transmission temperature on the manual transmission.

I currently live in Idaho, but have lived in Texas, Wyoming and Montana, so I’ve pulled in many extremities of hot and cold, mountains and flat land.

The exhaust break is one of the best towing tools available! Still have my original break pads and rotors even with higher mileage.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote