Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

V8 Tundra vs V6 F150 - Buying For The Future

Hi ya'll,

It's about time to get a new TV. Currently in a 2004 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8. I love this truck. 195,000 original owner miles! Currently towing a Hummingbird.

In the future, I'm looking at doing a cross-country road trip for 6+ months. When the time comes, I will upgrade to a bigger TT or get a 5th wheel.

I immediately went to a Toyota dealership to look at the Tundra. I've been so happy with the 4runner so I shouldn't get anything else - RIGHT!? Maybe not. I'm not sure the numbers add up.

The 5.7L V8 4x4 Tundra has a GVWR of 6,900, max paylod of 1660, and max towing capacity of 10,100.

The 3.5L EcoBoost V6 4x4 F150 has a GVWR of 9,000, max payload of 3,040, and max towing capacity of 13,000.

I guess V8 engines aren't what they used to be? The F150 also gets MUCH better MPG than the Tundra. I could also get a fifth wheel potentially in the future with the F150 with its max payload.

So - between the V6 F150 and the V8 Tundra, the better option is to leave Toyota and go with Ford!?
TrailerGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

Probably still a personal preference. Some folks feel more comfortable in a Toyota, or Ford.

In my opinion, for all around driving unloaded with occasional towing, the Ford is the way to go. Better mileage all around. Its comfortable to ride in. Very quick... The Toyota does have a bigger motor but it's less efficient/productive than the ecoboost. Having said that, I have never meet a disappointed Tunda owner.

Just a word of advise, I would throw out the specs about max towing capacity. Typically all half ton trucks have motors that will out haul the truck. I would not put too much into the max payload numbers. The max payload on the half ton is kinda easy to max out. If you want the Ford with max payload, I would hit the dealers and try to find one. They are more rare than the average half ton 1500lb payload truck. If you pulled a 10,000lb flat bed you would probably be satisfied. A 10,000lb camper is a high profile object that will not be so comfortable behind a short wheel base half ton truck going down the highway.

If you think a 5th wheel is in your future I would recommend considering a 3/4 ton truck. The suspension is a night/day difference compared to any half ton truck (regardless of max payload rating). The towing will be night/day difference. The last thing you want is to put your faith in the half ton truck, get a 5th wheel, and find out that the towing is not as stable as you are comfortable driving....

All in all I would recommend the F-150 with ecoboost. Mostly because I have had one and towed with it.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

With a GVWR of 6,900, max paylod of 1660, and max towing capacity of 10,100 you're not going to be getting much in the way of a TT or FW for spending 6 months on the road with the 5.7L Tundra. The F-150 would be my choice between the two and will give you a lot more options as far as TT's are concerned. With respect to FW I'd be looking at a 3/4 ton truck (F-250, Silverado 2500 or Ram 2500).

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #4

If you're thinking a 5th wheel in the future the F-250 is the starting point. F-350 would be even better.
I am a Tundra owner and huge fan of them. The Tundra will probably outlast the Ford but the Ford will do what you need much better.
It's time for Toyota to modernize the Tundra.........long overdue.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #5

I've got a 1st gen 3.5 ecoboost motor and I have not doubts that it would pull the 10,000# trailer up almost any grade out there. Would I want to drive around pulling the weight of such a high profile trailer on the highway at anything over 50mph with a half ton? No thanks.
Even with the HDPP you're talking a 10k# trailer having at least 1500# 'tongue' weight plus any other stuff you put in the bed/cab and all people riding in the truck. To me that is very easily 3/4 ton territory.
But to be honest, after coming back to a half ton from a 3/4 ton I'm just not happy knowing I can't pull anything I want. I never thought about it with my Ram.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #6

Based on your "specs", you would need a F150 with the HDPP, max tow, etc. Don't recall any specific payload #'s for the HDPP but most are under 2500#, and that would be for a bare bones XL model with few options for comfort. Tongue weight on those models cap out around 1200-1300#'s as well. You would probably need to order a F150 with HDPP as most dealers don't stock 'em. They are out there, but close to hens teeth. GL in your search.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #7

FWIW - I had a 2007 Tundra. I towed a 26' Coachman (about 6500 lbs). The Tundra was reliable, comfortable, and reasonably fuel efficient when towing. When I upgraded to my current 29RKS, about a 1000 lbs heavier (cat scales), although within the Tundra's (specifications) capability, (using Equalizer wt dist. hitch), it was apparent that it struggled with the increased weight and I "wanted" more truck. I went through the same process that you are going through now. On line opinions, (a lot of bias and uninformed opinion stated as fact), manufacturer spec research, independent reviews etc, leading to analysis paralysis! Eventually, I moved past just looking for what I needed in a replacement tow vehicle to what I wanted. So, I bit the bullet and bought a Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD. It is absolutely a tow "beast". It is powerful, comfortable, fuel efficient, and much more truck than required for my Jayco, but, if I should ever upgrade again, this truck will handle whatever I get. My conclusion: always better to have more truck than not enough, and no buyers remorse.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #8

I went through this decision this spring. The Toyota has the advantage of reliability and price. In every other category, comfort, power, economy, tech, payload, F150 wins. I bought the Ford.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
I would also argue that for the most part in today's time, you should have equal reliability out of all the major brands, I know for a fact the fords are reliable, we've had multiple of those without issue
Old 12-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Based on your "specs", you would need a F150 with the HDPP, max tow, etc. Don't recall any specific payload #'s for the HDPP but most are under 2500#, and that would be for a bare bones XL model with few options for comfort. Tongue weight on those models cap out around 1200-1300#'s as well. You would probably need to order a F150 with HDPP as most dealers don't stock 'em. They are out there, but close to hens teeth. GL in your search.
Agree, take all these "max" ratings/numbers with a grain of salt. They typically only apply to much lighter, bare-bone, entry level, lower trim models which are rarely stocked by dealers.

Ref the OP's Tundra vs. F150 comparison, the Tundra is way, way overdue for a complete, mechanical refresh. The entire drivetrain and suspension has changed very little since 2007. IMO, that's one of the reasons they're so reliable---they've had almost 12 years to fine-tune it. I believe the F150's are on their 3rd refresh since 2007. IMO, the Tundra's got a lot of catching up to do technologically.

The OP also mentioned he/she may want to tow a 5th wheel in the future. Sure, some folks pull a 5th wheel with a 1/2-ton F150 (or a 1/2-ton Tundra, for that matter). However, gotta keep in mind the aluminum F150 only weighs approx. 5,000 lbs. 3/4 and 1-ton HD trucks are more stable towing vs. 1/2-ton trucks primarily because they weigh 1,500 - 3,000 lbs. more. Sure, the higher capacity suspension on a HD truck helps, but the higher mass (weight) of a HD truck is primarily what keeps the tail from wagging the dog. Payload and tow capacity alone doesn't tell the whole story about how stable a truck is when it's towing. Just something for the OP to ponder.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Site Team

In 2012 I spent 3 months researching which truck we wanted for a TV, while my wife spent 1 solid year deciding on the EAGLE. I had reviews stacked up all over my desk, stats all around, truck forums, my personal GM history of cars, neighbors... and after the decision was made to go with the Ford EcoBoost, the search began. Looking for a NEW truck with my requirements (ignoring the dealers suggestions of a lesser option list):
F150
EcoBoost
3.5L
Super Crew XLT
157" Wheel Base
3:73 Rear end
HD Sway bars
TBC-Trailer Brake Controller
RSC - Roll Stability Control
4x2
HD Payload/MaxTow
6' Bed
Blue
Bucket Seats

produced not a single possibility (even in the farm country) in a 3 state search by the Ford Dealer and myself. Being that I had 2 weeks left in the 2012 truck production period, I placed an order for a NEW FORD truck with the above options. My GM gearheads friends could not believe it, but the EcoBoost at the end won the research.

Just prior to placing the order I talked to a Ford engineer regarding towing and the possibility of a 5er in the future. Even with the above options he said that towing a 5er is NOT recommended with a F150 and if I had plans to get a 5er, go with a minimum of a F250 or a F350. He also mentioned that I would not be happy towing unless I ordered the 3:73 rear axle ratio, which I already had on the order (based on research). So, DW and I discussed it and we decided that we were not going to upgrade to a 5er and went with the above truck/options.

Pulling the EAGLE 284BHS is effortless for this truck. Back then my neighbor took my F150 for a test ride and when we returned from the mountains he had an all decked out 2012 EcoBoost.

If I had to make this decision again, and based on my experience, there is no doubt that I would make the same decision again, of course I would add the driver assist package that is now available.

I am not saying that the other brands of trucks are not acceptable, just did not meet my requirements at the time.

Just one persons perspective, good luck... if you are serious about upgrading to a 5er, go with a F250/350... get it right the first time.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
FWIW - I had a 2007 Tundra. I towed a 26' Coachman (about 6500 lbs). The Tundra was reliable, comfortable, and reasonably fuel efficient when towing. When I upgraded to my current 29RKS, about a 1000 lbs heavier (cat scales), although within the Tundra's (specifications) capability, (using Equalizer wt dist. hitch), it was apparent that it struggled with the increased weight and I "wanted" more truck. I went through the same process that you are going through now. On line opinions, (a lot of bias and uninformed opinion stated as fact), manufacturer spec research, independent reviews etc, leading to analysis paralysis! Eventually, I moved past just looking for what I needed in a replacement tow vehicle to what I wanted. So, I bit the bullet and bought a Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD. It is absolutely a tow "beast". It is powerful, comfortable, fuel efficient, and much more truck than required for my Jayco, but, if I should ever upgrade again, this truck will handle whatever I get. My conclusion: always better to have more truck than not enough, and no buyers remorse.
Similar story here. We used to tow a 7,000 lb. trailer with a '12 Tundra 5.7 (381 hp) cross-country a number of times. More than enough power on mountain passes if you didn't mind downshifting a gear or two to keep the 5.7 in the sweet-spot (3k-5k). We were always right at the maximum 1,400 lb. payload rating of the truck with just 950 lbs. of tongue weight---the weight of everything (tongue weight, passengers, WDH, gear, etc.) adds up quickly. It was a relatively stable tow considering the truck was operating at its maximum payload rating.

When we made a decision to upgrade to a larger trailer, it only seemed logical to upgrade our payload capability, too. Initially we started looking at new 2015 & 2016 F150 4x4 Crew Cabs with the Max Payload Pkg. They typically had payload ratings quite a bit over 2,000 lbs.---very impressive for a 1/2-ton. Unfortunately, they were very hard to find. At the time we were looking there were only 3 trucks with the Max Payload pkg within a 600 mile radius of our home. They all had MSRP's around $45k in the lower trim levels. The Ford dealers at the time weren't willing to negotiate much---maybe 10% off MSRP ($4.5k) which put us around $40k.

Long story short, after several more months of research and a nationwide search for the best deal, we ended up purchasing a new 2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab SRW with 4,000 lbs. of payload and 17,000 lbs. of tow capacity with an OEM 5th wheel/Gooseneck prep package for $42k--only $2k more than the F150's. MSRP was almost $54k. We now have 35k on this truck. We've used it to tow both a 10k travel trailer (with 1.4k of tongue weight) and a 12k 5th wheel (with 2.8k of pin weight) cross-country, across most of the major interstate mountain passes out west. I could probably count on one hand the number of times this truck has needed to downshift. Did I mention the automatic exhaust brake?! It's the cat's meow. Once you set the cruise control there's rarely a need to ever touch the accelerator or the brake while navigating up or down the toughest interstate mountain passes. It gets 10-12 mpg towing, 17-18 mpg at 75-80 mph, and 13-15 mpg around town. Not bad for an 8,000 lb. truck. This truck is an absolute joy to drive and tow with.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #13

There are so many variables to consider. What is a person wanting to do with the pickup. Where is the person wanting to do it. Reliability issues. Cost: not only initial cost, but operational cost. The EcoBoost is far more complex of a platform than the NA V8 in the Tundra. And it is rarely disputed that increased complexity can lead to increased problems. The old idea that the more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain applies. Toyota has a pretty good reputation. In the Ford community, one can find heated disputes about the EB motors.

All in all, just do your research and get what fits you best. But if one is really looking to being able to tackle heavy payloads and towing, the 3/4 on up pickups do a far better job.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #14

My last truck was a 1996 Toyota T-100 4X4(Tundra's Grandaddy) I drove it until 2015, it had a V-6 engine, man. trans. I sold it in 2015 for more than I bought it for in 2007. It had 265,000 miles.....still got 21 MPG, absolute no mechanical issues. It didn't burn a 1/4 of quart of oil between oil changes ( 3 thousand miles)
I sold it when I bought my current 2006 Tundra 4X4, 130,000 miles, 20 MPG, doesn't burn a measurable amount of oil between changes (3,000 miles) I haven't done anything to it other than usual PM. It still looks and drives like new. Last summer I had a car salesman offer 3 thousand more for it than I paid for it..........no way, I couldn't find as nice of truck for the money.

As much as I love Tundra's I would have a tough time between a Ford F-250 or a new Tundra providing Toyota would do a upgrade and give it a larger tow and capacity rating.

Tundra's are so overdue for a make over.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #15

I tow my Jayco 267 BHS TT with a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost Lariat 4x4, tuned by MPT to a little over 400 horses, and it purrrs along with one sway bar only installed. Lots of torque and comfy/quiet.
JohannHaeussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #16

No, Ford is not the answer to this question

First, no F-150 or any 1/2 ton is suitable or safe for a 5th wheel. Second, the fuel mileage advantage of the Ford V6 turbo engine is very small in real life. The advantage becomes a deficit when you factor in the likely out-of-warranty repairs the turbo engine (and the rest of the truck) will require. The Tundra, like your 4Runner, will run for decades and several hundred thousand miles with just routine maintenance.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
First, no F-150 or any 1/2 ton is suitable or safe for a 5th wheel. Second, the fuel mileage advantage of the Ford V6 turbo engine is very small in real life. The advantage becomes a deficit when you factor in the likely out-of-warranty repairs the turbo engine (and the rest of the truck) will require. The Tundra, like your 4Runner, will run for decades and several hundred thousand miles with just routine maintenance.
In fact, there are a number of "smallish" (21 - 25 ft.) 5th wheels, and hybrids, that are quite at home behind 1/2 ton trucks. I'm sure you knew this, just neglected to qualify your "no F-150 or 1/2 ton truck is suitable or safe" statement. Scamp 5th wheels come to mind.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #18

Good choice in going with the Ford. I have been a Ford truck owner since the late 70's VERY FEW minor issues with them. My last three have been 2008 F-250, 2016 F-150, and now my 2016 F-350....All great moved from the 150 to the 350 as my 5er pin weight was too close for comfort!
Old 12-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #19

I recently went from an '07 Duramax to a new F150. I drove the Ecoboosts, and they are impressive. But, I went with the 5L V8. Sounds like I'm the lone voice here.

From what I get on the Ford forums, the V8 gives a little more MPGs, and a little more towing than the 2.7, but not enough to make any difference. The 3.5 is more in every category except mileage.

The turbos are pretty complex, more to go wrong. The turbo went out on my Duramax, and it was incredibly expensive, probably why I went with old school V8. I know its very uncommon to happen, but why take a chance if I get the same thing with the V8.

My mileage is great, towing my Jeep to Florida, I averaged 15.3, thats unbelievable for me with a gasser. On the highway empty, it reads in the mid to high 20s. I didn't expect that good of mileage.

As others have said, the 3/4 ton sounds like what you should look at, they're not very much money more, and much beefer frame/brakes, etc.

One other thing... drive the Chevy and Ram also. I actually thought the Ram was the best when I was test driving them all. They came a long way since my last one. I went with the Ford for the stupidest reason, I haven't had one for quite a while. I've had Rams and Chevys. Not because I'm a fan boy of any brand, but because I got the best deal. I'm very happy with my decision, I've had it 5 months, and no issues, as should be expected.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenelz View Post

My mileage is great, towing my Jeep to Florida, I averaged 15.3, thats unbelievable for me with a gasser. On the highway empty, it reads in the mid to high 20s. I didn't expect that good of mileage.
Having the same truck, it's unbelievable to me also. But this site is always good for dreaming and a few laughs. LOL
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote