Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #11

So, interesting wrinkle: I unplugged the float charger from the battery for about two hours and went back and measured the voltage. I got ~12.39 volts; that's about 75% charge level

Before it went on the float charger, the battery went through a complete charging cycle on the trailer connected to shore power over the course of 2-3 days. Before I unplugged and took the trailer back to storage, I verified that the 3-stage charger was in "float" mode. I took the trailer back to storage; the only item I ran in that process was the power tongue jack, and the truck was still hooked up and running at that time. Then I disconnected the battery and brought it directly home and put it on the float charger in the garage. That was over a week ago.

I will measure the battery again when I get home from work, but I expected there to be more charge on that battery...

I could take it down to the auto parts store and have it tested, charged and diagnosed, but I'm afraid they'll screw it up since they're used to dealing with regular starting batteries as opposed to deep cycle batteries... It's just the standard dual-purpose Interstate Grp 24 that came with the trailer, so if it pukes, no big deal. But we're in the process of planning a long trip this fall and I want it to be squared away before that, one way or another...

Note: I'm not sure this thread belongs in "Tow Vehicles" any more; originally I was asking about voltage at the trailer plug on the truck, but now I'm thinking I could have a battery issue.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
So, interesting wrinkle: I unplugged the float charger from the battery for about two hours and went back and measured the voltage. I got ~12.39 volts; that's about 75% charge level
Looks consistent with the customer complaint, "No battery power after an hour or two of sitting".

Do an amp reading of what the trailer is drawing when not plugged into shore power.

Parasite load should be around an amp or two. Over that, find what was left on or has shorted out.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Looks consistent with the customer complaint, "No battery power after an hour or two of sitting".

Do an amp reading of what the trailer is drawing when not plugged into shore power.

Parasite load should be around an amp or two. Over that, find what was left on or has shorted out.
I will definitely check those items when I have the trailer back, but that 12.39V reading was taken from a completely disconnected battery sitting on a 5 gal bucket in my garage. That's after having gone through a complete charge cycle on the 3 stage Progressive Dynamics charger in my trailer and sitting isolated on a float charger for over a week. No loads, just sitting there getting a constant 13.2 volts.

Except now that I'm thinking about it, I unplugged the float charger from the wall instead of disconnecting it from the battery terminals; there's a little bitty LED on the float charger, but surely that couldn't use 25% of a deep cycle battery's capacity in the matter of an hour or two....

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 06-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Except now that I'm thinking about it, I unplugged the float charger from the wall instead of disconnecting it from the battery terminals; there's a little bitty LED on the float charger, but surely that couldn't use 25% of a deep cycle battery's capacity in the matter of an hour or two....
Even the drain to discharge the filter cap shouldn't do that.

Looks like you let the battery go too low once or twice. Have you checked water level and specific gravity of each cell?

And proud of it!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Even the drain to discharge the filter cap shouldn't do that.

Looks like you let the battery go too low once or twice. Have you checked water level and specific gravity of each cell?
Water level yes (all the time actually); Specific Gravity, not yet; don't have the tool yet.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 06-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #16

Go buy one. They are cheep. And the only way to assess cell-to-cell differences.

And proud of it!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Go buy one. They are cheep. And the only way to assess cell-to-cell differences.
Planning on it.

Hey Mike, thanks for going back and forth on this with me. DW doesn't know much about this stuff, and has no desire to talk with me about it. So it's nice to find someone to go back and forth with who knows something about it; that's my most effective way to solve problems, and the only way I can shift my own knowledge and paradigms.

So thanks!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #18

No problem. It is actually nice to be able to communicate with someone that understands the technobabble.

SWMBO hates when I talk about technical stuff too.

And proud of it!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #19

Quote:

Before it went on the float charger, the battery went through a complete charging cycle on the trailer connected to shore power over the course of 2-3 days. Before I unplugged and took the trailer back to storage, I verified that the 3-stage charger was in "float" mode. I took the trailer back to storage; the only item I ran in that process was the power tongue jack, and the truck was still hooked up and running at that time. Then I disconnected the battery and brought it directly home and put it on the float charger in the garage. That was over a week ago.

I will measure the battery again when I get home from work, but I expected there to be more charge on that battery...

I could take it down to the auto parts store and have it tested, charged and diagnosed, but I'm afraid they'll screw it up since they're used to dealing with regular starting batteries as opposed to deep cycle batteries... It's just the standard dual-purpose Interstate Grp 24 that came with the trailer, so if it pukes, no big deal. But we're in the process of planning a long trip this fall and I want it to be squared away before that, one way or another...

Note: I'm not sure this thread belongs in "Tow Vehicles" any more; originally I was asking about voltage at the trailer plug on the truck, but now I'm thinking I could have a battery issue.
for reliability alone, just bite the bullet and replace the battery. 75% after 2+ on the charger, then sitting for a couple of hours. Your battery is worn out.

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Is there a problem with your system? If it ain't broke don't overthink it!

wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote