Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #21

I towed an Outback trailer for six years with a Hensley Arrow. It works exactly as advertised -- no sway, with a feel more akin to driving a motor-home than pulling a trailer. The downsides of the Hensley are cost and weight. The Arrow model adds 190 lbs of tongue weight -- a significant consideration, especially for anyone driving a half-ton truck. As I plan my next trailer purchase, I would consider another Hensley or Pro-Pride, especially if I could find a used one. However, I lean strongly toward buying one of the many other excellent hitches on the market today, that cost and weigh less, and which also excel at controlling trailer sway. My opinion, based on my personal experience.
Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #22

Like others have said, a good hitch is key, but knowing your weights is more important.

Take your setup to a CAT scale. I've been looking at many different payload stickers on truck door jambs, and typically Rams are quite low.

A friend of mine has a 2015 Ecodiesel 1500 and has a payload of just 907lbs.

Many 1/2 ton trucks have payloads around 1200-1500lbs, which is easily exceeded by a 7000lbs trailer.

For example, my 28BHKS (very similar to your 28DSBH) is abouit 6750lbs according to the yellow sticker.

Add all our stuff and I'm easily close to 8000lbs.

When loaded I weighed my tongue and it was 950lbs.

My trucks paylaod is 1813lbs (as per the door jamb)

1813 - 950 - 100 (WDH) - 550lbs (family) - 100lbs (2 bikes) = 113lbs of left over payload.

My truck has a pretty decent payload rating, I purposely bought it that way.

Just check out your weights...safety is a big concern for you (which it should be), you might be surprised what you find out.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #23

I’m almost certain my payload is 1550. The yellow sticker on my camper is 5920, figuring same amounts as you’ve added I’d be right there too. I’m going to hit the cat scale once the salt is off the road. We have one locally so it will be a no brained to gather info.

Out of curiously what are you using for a hitch, basically making out your payload?
Browny0386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #24

Update:

Just a quick update. I had myself sold on the propride hitch, had it in the cart but just couldn’t hit the buy button on a $3000 hitch. I slept on it and as luck would have it, the next morning I found a brand new (bought last July) equalizer 10k hitch 20 mins from my office. I was able to get that hitch for $300 and decided at least this way I’d know how good or bad it could be, and only be out a small amount of money if I jumped ship and went to the pro pride.

I took Rustic Eagles advice and followed his direction at the scales. I was a little light on the front axle with my initial setup but after adding a washer to increase the angle, felt spot on. Truck sat perfect, was almost level with about 1.5” of sag in the rear.

We headed out for our first ever camping trip this past weekend, an 1100 mile trip to Boston, Mass lol (go big I guess). I was shocked at how well the equalizer performed. The first car carrier to pass us, made the trailer sway slightly but nothing major. From that point on it was like the hitch settled in and the camper towed like an arrow. Aside from crap mileage 10.5 there and 9 home the trip was a delight.

For now I’ve got a happy wife, two dirty kids and the camper set to go out again this weekend. All with $2700 still in my wallet. I’m not sure I’ll stick with this forever (some trips out west might justify the propride) but wow, I was glad I tried the $300 option first.

Thanks again for all the advice and input.
Browny0386 is offline   Reply With Quote