Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

WD Hitch setup help

I'm still new to this hitch stuff so need some help to fine tune.

It came to my realization after a couple towings and talking to other that my trailer was sitting to high at the hitch. You could just see it was low in the rear of trailer. So I think my dealer just threw it on and sent me on my way.

I have a Reese round bar setup. Dealer had the ballmount at the hightest setting so I dropped it down 2 holes to the lowest setting and set the adjustable washer to 4, which looked like a level ball.

After dropping the trailer on the truck and installing the round bars with 6 links between bar and hook(2 links not used), my tt is a little hight at hitch, but I think I still need the rear of the truck to come up an inch or so.

Where do I need to adjust yet? I should note that this work so far is with a empty truck in my yard.

2012 Silverado LT 1500 Z71
2009 Jayco 23B
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Your right, ideally it's best to adjust a WDH under loaded TV/TT conditions.

Note that the objective of a WDH is to return the weight that was removed from the TV's front suspension back when the spring bars engaged via proper WDH adjustment. We use fender heights as an acceptable means to get the proper weight distribution in the ball park..., a CAT scale is the only way to confirm. Your correct that moving the ball mount up/down on the draw bar is the proper way to adjust TT levelness.

Today's TV suspensions are a lot different than years ago, so it's normal to Esperance a 1" to 2" drop at a TV's rear suspension when the WDH is correctly adjusted meeting the TV's front suspension requirements (return to it's unhitched height). If one attempts to raise the TV's rear suspension to much via the WDH adjustment it may result in forcing the TV's front suspension below it's unhitched height..... not good. This could result in poor steering and front suspension performance.

If you can post a close up pic of your WDH hitched up, this may help us with your WDH adjustment. Also, review the top portion of the following link on adjusting a WDH, it may provide some insight: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/17730894.cfm

When adjusting your WDH ball mount tilt and number of chain links under tension, ideally you want the round spring bars to be parallel to the TT frame, or a "slight" downward angle is ok.

Hope this helps, but feel free to post any additional question you may have.

Bob

ps: Your right, unfortunate most RV dealers are clueless to adjusting a WDH correctly.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

Thanks. I did find that site last night after a little searching. Pretty helpful, except I wasn't sure on the argument between set ball above coupler vs below. I can't go any lower unless unless I get a longer shank drop. I think I'll be close to lever, but tongue will be a touch higher than level.

I wish I would have done more research before buying trailer. I might have bought something different than Reese round bar and friction sway control.

One thing I didn't see on rv.net write up is which way to tilt the ball mount to correct a rise in the sway bar??
Old 06-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke03 View Post
snip......One thing I didn't see on rv.net write up is which way to tilt the ball mount to correct a rise in the sway bar??
If your referring to the tail of the round spring bar angling upward when you have the spring bars engaged, then you would tilt the ball mount toward your TT to correct this condition. Adjust the ball mount tilt such that you accomplish the required weight transfer and end up with the round spring bars parallel to your TT frame.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote