Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #1

WDH adjustments ...?

Good afternoon -
Loaded up and visited my local CAT scale yesterday morning. Glad I did. I've towed for half a dozen trips this spring and summer already with absolutely no issues, but I need to make some adjustments. Hoping to lean on the collective wisdom and experience of the group to avoid several trips back to the scales and the trial and error involved.

The rigs: 2010 RAM 2500 mega cab, 6.7 CTD, 6 spd manual, 3.73 rear end. 2018 Octane SL 272, 7k dry, 33' long. Blue Ox Sway Pro, 15k GTW, 1,500 lb TW. Toy = 1560 lb side by side.

The numbers:

RAM: factory ratings -
payload - 2,030
GAWR front axle - 5,500
GAWR rear axle - 6,500
GCWR - 20,000
max trailer - 12,300

RAM: TV only, full tank of diesel, 2 people, dogs and dog box in the bed (they generally go where we go)-
front axle - 4,920
rear axle - 3,540
gross weight - 8,460

TV/TH, WDH not engaged, chains and arms hanging free, no toy -
front axle - 4,440
rear axle - 5,280
trailer axle - 6,500
GW - 16,240
max trailer - 7,780

TV/TH, WDH engaged, no toy -
front axle - 4,720
rear axle - 4,880
trailer axle - 6,640
GW - 16,240
max trailer - 7,780

TV/TH, WDH engaged, toy in the garage directly over the trailer's axles -
front axle - 4,860
rear axle - 4,640
trailer axle - 8,300
GW - 17,800
max trailer - 9,340

loaded tongue weight (if I'm reading the directions on the CAT: how/why post correctly) = 1,260, or 16% of TT weight (7,780) wo toy.

So, I'm happy with the numbers with the toy in TH (within 50 lbs of the unloaded TV front axle weight). But I want to reduce the tongue weight and transfer more weight to the front axle when towing wo the toy.

My question is, can I simply reduce tongue weight and transfer more weight to the front axle/trailer axles by raising the hitch ball another 2-3 inches, by cranking the chains tighter (I currently crank down on the 8th link, so plenty of chain to work with).... or do I need to do both? At the current hitch ball height, the TH sits within 2" of level (34" in the front, 36" in the back). With the current set up, my RAM squats 1 1/2" in the rear (from 41.5" unloaded, to 40" loaded) and rises 1" in the front (from 39.5" to 40.5").

Thanks in advance, and pls be kind if I totally goofed on some math or overlooked something obvious. I've hauled horses, farm equipment and boats my whole life by feel and 'eyeing' it but this is the first time I've ever actually weighed a load to check my ratios. My truck has handled this TH wonderfully to date, but I want to make sure I get things right.
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Appears to have been a productive day at the CAT scales , and with TH's it's very important to know the effect on tongue weights under both loaded/unloaded conditions based on one's personal loading habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfredlabel View Post
snip.......So, I'm happy with the numbers with the toy in TH (within 50 lbs of the unloaded TV front axle weight). But I want to reduce the tongue weight and transfer more weight to the front axle when towing wo the toy.....snip
I agree, your WDH is dialed-in well under loaded conditions "with" the toy, but under towing conditions "without" the toy a WDH re-adjustment should be considered. Just curious, how often will you be towing the TH without the toy?

The tongue weight placed on the hitch ball actually remains "fairly constant" unless TH cargo is added/removed/relocated. The main design function of the WDH is to distribute weight "off the TV's rear axle" that was the result of (effect of) the TH tongue weight being placed on the hitch ball.

However, due to the physics behind the WDH when the spring bars are engaged there is a "slight" amount of tongue weight removed off the hitch ball. Most of the WDH weight distributed transfers to the TV's front suspension and some incremental weight to the TH axles.

Quote:
snip.......My question is, can I simply reduce tongue weight and transfer more weight to the front axle/trailer axles by raising the hitch ball another 2-3 inches, by cranking the chains tighter (I currently crank down on the 8th link, so plenty of chain to work with).... or do I need to do both?....snip
The main function of raising/lowering the ball mount (hitch ball) is to level the TH after the WDH has been adjusted to meet proper TV front suspension weight return requirements. Raising/lowering the ball mount has little effect on weight transfer, especially with todays robust TV suspensions. As you are aware, ideally the TH should tow level, or slightly nose down.

Adjusting the "tilt angle" (for/aft) of the ball mount and/or adjusting the amount of spring bar chain links "under tension" will address weight distribution.

Presently your CAT results state that 200lbs needs to be returned to the TV's front suspension (w/no toys). IMO if you can return 100-150lbs I would call it a good day. With "NO TOYS" in your TH I would adjust the spring bar(s) with one less chain link "under tension" (possibly two less), this will distribute more weight off the TV's rear axle to the TV's front suspension.

Note: Most WDH manufactures recommend that at a minimum five (5) chain links be under tension, anything less will compromise the for/aft movement of the spring bars during tight TV turns. In cases where additional spring bar tension is required (less then 4-chain links) adjusting the ball mount tilt (toward TH) will create more spring bar tension without further adjustment of the spring bars.

Keep in mind, your "toys" added another 1,560lbs to your TH (per CAT results), I would confirm with this added weight placement your loaded TH tongue weight still falls within a 13% to 15% of the TH's gross weight for optimum TV handling.

Double check my "weight"math

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #3

Thanks, Rustic Eagle -

Thanks for the insight - you confirmed what I originally thought re: raising the hitch ball height vs applying more tension via the chains/spring bars, but I wanted to make sure.

To answer your question, I'll probably be towing without the toy about half of the time, but most of those times are an hour or 2 from the house, just quick weekend trips.

I thought the same about the spring bar tension and chain links - I'll weigh again without the toy at both the 7th and 6th link to confirm. To be clear, as long as I'm not using less than 5 links, I'm ok, correct?

Lastly, with the toy, my tongue weight is 1,040, or 11% of the gross trailer weight. That is with the toy positioned directly over the trailer's axles. Should I try moving the toy a little forward of the axles in the garage in an attempt to bump the tongue weight up to 13-15%, or leave it as is? It handles great with the toy centered over the trailer axles, but I don't want to find out the hard way that I needed more tongue weight in the event of defensive/evasive maneuvering if you think that could be an issue.

Thanks again for the feedback!
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....... To be clear, as long as I'm not using less than 5 links, I'm ok, correct?
Your correct, not less the 5 chain links "under tension"...., less then 5 can create binding conditions and possibly bend/dislodge the snap-up bracket.

Quote:
snip.....Lastly, with the toy, my tongue weight is 1,040, or 11% of the gross trailer weight. That is with the toy positioned directly over the trailer's axles. Should I try moving the toy a little forward of the axles in the garage in an attempt to bump the tongue weight up to 13-15%, or leave it as is?.......snip
WDH & RV manufactures recommend a 10% to 15% range which may be 'ok' during ideal towing conditions, but with the heavier/longer TT's, TH's, etc., most have found that a 13% to 15% range enhances TV handling "especially" in less then ideal towing conditions (cross winds, poor road conditions, sudden stops/maneuverers, etc.). Under "loaded" conditions is where the 13% to 15% is most effective.

I tend to lean toward moving the 'toy' a little forward that way in the event you add weight behind the TH axles (fuel, misc cargo, etc.) you avoid compromising your loaded tongue weight.

Bob

ps: TH's are a multi-use RV and tongue weights can vary based on the type of use....., you may want to invest in a Sherline Tongue Weight Scale for easy spot checking. I have a 2,000lb rated Sherline Scale and found it comes in handy for both personal use and helping others.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote