Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2020, 11:17 PM   #1

WDH Installation - does the shop not need the trailer?

I'm planning to get a weight distribution hitch installed. If I am not mistaken the shop only wants the TV. But doesn't the installation require the trailer to adjust it properly?
I don't have the tools to do it myself.
FionaGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:20 AM   #2

All the ones I have used needed both the tv and trailer to set it up.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:41 AM   #3

The ball on the hitch needs to be set for the correct height and angle and the spring bars need to be set.This can only be done with with the trailer and tow vehicle.

Also depending on the brand of hitch the brackets that are attached to the trailer frame need to be adjusted.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:44 AM   #4

That's weird. This can't be done without both the tow vehicle and the trailer. Get a clarification. If they only want the tow vehicle, find a different shop.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #5

They most definitely need both as there are attachments to the trailer frame. And, to be remotely accurate both the TV and the trailer should be loaded as close as possible to how you will be when you set out to camp. Tanks, cargo, fuel etc.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #6

I agree that if they're trying to install/setup a hitch without the trailer, I would find someone else to do it. Chances are that even if you bring them the truck AND trailer (as would be required), they still won't do it right.

In fact if I were you, I might go one step further and do it myself anyway. If you have basic mechanical knowledge (like how to tighten nuts/bolts and use a tape measure) you can do it yourself. Beg/borrow/purchase the tools necessary to do it (Harbor Freight hand tools are actually pretty decent). Then just follow the instructions step by step. If you're using a hitch by any major brand, you can find a Youtube video that will help you see what's happening. The only thing that would be all that difficult would be attaching the hitch ball because it may require a large, thin-walled socket, and it requires more torque than most of us can accurately produce. But just about any shop will attach that for you, perhaps for a small fee.

Even if you have someone else do it, download the instructions ahead of time, print them, watch a video, and watch the technician during the install. Ask questions and refer to the instructions if they deviate from your understanding of a proper install.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone who replied. This all confirmed my instincts about what needs to be done.
I suspect there's been a communication breakdown between me and the shop. We'll see.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #8

I have yet to come across a dealership service department that knows how to set up a WDH properly. I'm sure they're out there, but it would be a diamond in the rough. For the most part, RV technicians are idiots. If you come across a good one, establish a rapport and deal exclusively with them. Too many dummies out there. I had a 20yr old kid slop silicone all over the seams of my trailer without me even knowing until it was too late. Bunch of morons.

You most certainly need to have both the trailer and the vehicle there to set it up properly, as it involves measurements on both. Just because it looks level doesn't mean it's set up properly either. Your hitch will come with instructions for install and set up that need to be followed, and I'm willing to bet your dealership service department won't even look at them.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #9

This is actually a hitch company. https://www.burnabyhitch.ca/

I do worry that their focus is slapping hitches on the family car.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #10

If I were you, I would look up the hitch you have/are getting online, and read about the install. Educate yourself so you have an idea of what's supposed to happen. Then call them up, ask to speak to a technician, and ask questions to see if they sound like they know what's required. I take this approach to many things in life, as it makes it much less likely for you to be taken advantage of or lied to.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaGrant View Post
snip......I do worry that their focus is slapping hitches on the family car.
That may be why they stated they only need the TV thinking they are installing a receiver hitch, not a WDH.

If they are providing/installing a WDH, confirm that the WDH is sized to meet your trailer's potential "loaded" weights, not published "unloaded" weights. Also, if your TV/Trailer combination isn't under typical "loaded" (ready to camp) conditions at time of initial WDH installation, you may have to re-adjust the WDH at a later date. Ask for all WDH installation/adjustment documentation at time of purchase.

I assume the TV/Trailer combination in question doesn't exceed their associated weight limits.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote