Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

WDH Truck Mods

Hey guys. Thinking of trading in my 2013 F150 for a later model. Camping World installed a sway control hitch for me when I got my camper. I called and asked them what they actually did to my truck during the installation thinking they could remove it and install it on my new truck. They told me they would charge me to uninstall it and then charge me again to put it on a new vehicle, which I guess is fair, so it would be cheaper to buy another one new. But, when I asked what they actually did to my truck they apparently got the deer in the headlights look cause they started transferring me around to different people who couldn't tell me anything. Can someone on here give me some info on what is actually done to the truck when these things are installed and maybe some guidance on my options?
thmoose51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If they didn't installed a hitch on your truck they did nothing to your truck. Except sliding the WDH hitch in and the pin. They must BS you for charging to do that job.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #3

What brand of hitch do you have? If it is one of the usual kinds, you slide the hitch head out of the receiver on the old truck and slide it into the receiver of the new truck... as long as the receivers are the same size.

Because the truck will be different, the next step is to be sure the hitch is setup correctly for the new truck. What needs to be changed at the hitch head for the new setup depends on the differences between the receiver height etc. of the two trucks.

I highly doubt they modified your old truck or will need to modify your new truck.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #4

X3 to the above!!!

The only thing they may have actually installed in the truck is a brake controller. If the new truck doesn't have a factory brake controller, you would need that moved from the old truck to the new truck. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, it's not that hard to do. Watch some YouTube videos of your model truck, and the new one to see if you can do it.

Swapping the wdh isn't hard either. As mentioned, you will probably need to readjust the wdh for the new truck. If you have some tools, follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #5

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry, slow to respond. Been out of town away from computer for awhile.
thmoose51 is offline   Reply With Quote