Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Site Team

My recommendation is to go with a WD hitch and sway control. You will have a much better towing experience. Some new shocks such as Bilsteins could also enhance the ride and stop the "porposing" or bouncing, but as said do nothing to stop the rear from squatting.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The shocks don't hold your truck up, the springs do. The shocks just controll the wheels so they don't bounce when you hit bumps.
Right, however Monroe is making a shock with a spring to keep height up to 1200 lbs.

http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPar...dStatus=ACTIVE

So we're going to keep the end up and the front down with this right?

sheehast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post
This is the correct answer. When new whether OEM or after market your hitch had two weight ratings,(not to exceed) on a sticker or possibly stamped into the hitch itself.
Most OEM hitches are rated at about six hundred pounds. WDH rating is much higher.
I towed my 23b on the ball about ten miles to my fathers place, never again. The WDH creates a much stiffer unit and except in extreme conditions the bounce is gone and what is left is damped by the whole length of the truck.
I'm not exceeding the capacity, so what are your thoughts on the necessity of the WDH? I took the camper on 3 trips last year without a WDH. Each trip was around 120 miles, I've decided that a sway bar is needed, but again if the back end isn't dropping, do i really need a WDH?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #14

IMO, Rustic Eagle is a towing expert and a valuable resource in this forum. If you take the advice he offers in this thread, you will have a correct setup. He has been offering this advice to anyone who "doesn't/didn't know" for some time. Many of us including myself have followed his lead and had excellent towing experiences.

Your TV was designed and built to function safely. When you put a trailer on the hitch and load the rear with cargo, you change the characteristics that were built into it. Basically, weight that affects steering. A WDH redistributes that weight so the TV can return to its designed capabilities. The amount of rear-end-squat is not important.

Your TT was designed to be towed level. With the proper application and necessary adjustments of the WDH, your TV and TT will function as intended and you will be comfortable while towing.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #15

If you have the OE shocks on a 2008 you may need new shocks. However, shocks, springs or air bags do nothing to replace the function of a WDH. You can tow without a WDH until you tow with one, once tried you will not do it again.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #16

> do i really need a WDH?

For your Dodge 150 (with soft factory suspension) towing a 23ft TT, I would get a WDH System with properly sized spring bars. And, get sway bar for it as well. Money well spend.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehast View Post
snip........ but again if the back end isn't dropping, do i really need a WDH?
Only a CAT scale can answer your question..., and the results will be based on "your" specific TV/HTT combination and loading habits. The fact that the TV back end isn't dropping doesn't mean that weight hasn't been removed from the front suspension

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #18

The receiver on the TV should be labeled with the dead weight rating and with the weight distributing rating.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #19

I have a set of the Monroe shocks with springs on my Ford Ranger. The ride is really rough and bumpy without a load in the truck.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #20

Rustic Eagle-I see you know what you're talking about. I guess part of this inquiry is to determine whether or not the WDH hitch is needed? Or, maybe there are other things that can simply, help towing...Part of my inquiry is also due to the fact that a salesman, prep person, & mechanic, all at the dealership, didn't try to sell me a WDH. I would also say that the dealership had WDH's on site, and i specifically inquired if one would be needed, none of the 3 people at that dealer thought it was necessary. So I feel like simply saying to "Get a WDH" isn't thinking about the need or thinking about the point and result in the purchase. I wouldn't call the 500-1000 purchase of a WDH worth it, if it's not needed.

I think a sway bar seems to make a ton of sense. That is something I've noticed (sway) and would like to eliminate.

I'm not saying buying a new set of shocks is going to equal out to what a WDH will do. But if I don't need the WDH in the first place, maybe some tweaks to the suspension could help add to towing. Does that make some sense at least?

Also, have you ever heard of a WDH by Andersen? It uses chain instead of bars. It also uses the weight of the TT as sway control. Seems like a pretty smart way of doing things as well, have you seen this? And what are your thoughts on this?