Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehast View Post
Rustic Eagle-I see you know what you're talking about. I guess part of this inquiry is to determine whether or not the WDH hitch is needed? Or, maybe there are other things that can simply, help towing...Part of my inquiry is also due to the fact that a salesman, prep person, & mechanic, all at the dealership, didn't try to sell me a WDH. I would also say that the dealership had WDH's on site, and i specifically inquired if one would be needed, none of the 3 people at that dealer thought it was necessary. So I feel like simply saying to "Get a WDH" isn't thinking about the need or thinking about the point and result in the purchase. I wouldn't call the 500-1000 purchase of a WDH worth it, if it's not needed.

I think a sway bar seems to make a ton of sense. That is something I've noticed (sway) and would like to eliminate.

I'm not saying buying a new set of shocks is going to equal out to what a WDH will do. But if I don't need the WDH in the first place, maybe some tweaks to the suspension could help add to towing. Does that make some sense at least?

Also, have you ever heard of a WDH by Andersen? It uses chain instead of bars. It also uses the weight of the TT as sway control. Seems like a pretty smart way of doing things as well, have you seen this? And what are your thoughts on this?
I just ordered one of the Andersen Manufacturing WD hitches. From what I understand the Andersen WD hitches are very mild WD but have good anti sway properties. I got it because my new cargo trailer has quite a bit of sway at highway speeds. If I ever loaded it to the a 750# to 1500# tongue weight it would require WD If I fully load it.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.......the fact that a salesman, prep person, & mechanic, all at the dealership, didn't try to sell me a WDH.....snip
Unfortunately I have found that to many RV dealership representatives think in terms of "unloaded" weights and not "loaded" weights. Also, it's surprising how many don't understand how to size and/or adjust a WDH correctly. Your dealer may have referenced the Jayco published dry (unloaded) tongue weight and felt since it was within your TV's receiver "Weight Carrying" limit a WDH wasn't needed........, I'm only guessing here.

Quote:
snip....... I wouldn't call the 500-1000 purchase of a WDH worth it, if it's not needed.....snip
I would agree.

Quote:
snip....... I think a sway bar seems to make a ton of sense. That is something I've noticed (sway) and would like to eliminate .....snip
Actually a properly matched and configured TV/HTT combination (within weight limits, proper weight distribution, receiver rating, etc..) shouldn't incur any sway under most towing conditions...., without a sway control device. The incorporation of a sway control device should be looked at as a pro-active insurance policy should a true sway event arise.

If you are experiencing a sway event(s) under normal towing conditions, then I would first determine the root cause of the sway condition. The sway condition could be the result of not enough tongue weight based on the actual HTT weight, improper tire inflation, loss of weight on TV front suspension, HTT towing nose high, etc.. This is why I reference a CAT scale often in many of my Towing replies within JOF, the information provided at a CAT scale weigh-in is priceless when dialing-in a TV/HTT combination.

Quote:
snip....... I'm not saying buying a new set of shocks is going to equal out to what a WDH will do. But if I don't need the WDH in the first place, maybe some tweaks to the suspension could help add to towing. Does that make some sense at least?.....snip
Yes, and I believe that we all share in the same thought process when attempting to enhance our own towing experience.

Quote:
snip....... Also, have you ever heard of a WDH by Andersen? It uses chain instead of bars. It also uses the weight of the TT as sway control. Seems like a pretty smart way of doing things as well, have you seen this? And what are your thoughts on this?
Yes, the Anderson WDH is a relatively new product (couple of years), but I personally haven't had any "hands-on" experience with it. The Anderson product claims to provide "integrated sway control"..., similar to the Equal-i-zer WDH product and the Reese Strait-Line WDH product.

Here are two JOF threads on the Anderson WDH product that are worth the read:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...light=anderson

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...light=anderson

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #23

You won't feel the "need" for a WDH until it is too late. Someday, you WILL get into a severe sway condition and as your truck and trailer are being scattered over the road, you'll say to yourself…I wish I had bought a WDH with anti-sway. That day may not happen for several years or it may happen the next tow. It can come from a gust of wind, the wash off a tractor trailer or simple some jackoff cutting you off or pulling out in front of you. A WDH is like insurance…not always needed until something happens. I wasn't taking a chance with my $70k worth of equipment and family, so I bought the best hitch available, a ProPride 3P. I now have NO sway to worry about. It was well over $2k but worth 2x the money! I now out-tow my buddy with a 3/4 ton diesel on windy days! He has a Reese WDH with sway control yet there are days he fights his combo. He tows a Jayco 28BHS.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
I just ordered one of the Andersen Manufacturing WD hitches. From what I understand the Andersen WD hitches are very mild WD but have good anti sway properties. I got it because my new cargo trailer has quite a bit of sway at highway speeds. If I ever loaded it to the a 750# to 1500# tongue weight it would require WD If I fully load it.
Couple of things, first, Michael, when you get this, maybe after you install this, could you let me know your thoughts? I'd like to heae first hand. This really looks like a good move to how things are being towed.

Second I thought this was pretty heavy duty. It's also for horse trailers. 2-3 horses are going to weigh more than my trailer. Their website claims to go up to "14,000 lbs GTWR 2-5/16" ball, 10,000 lbs GTWR 2" ball • 1,400 lbs tongue weight" That's well above my TT.
sheehast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #25

----[QUOTE=Rustic Eagle;163987]Unfortunately I have found that to many RV dealership representatives think in terms of "unloaded" weights and not "loaded" weights. Also, it's surprising how many don't understand how to size and/or adjust a WDH correctly. Your dealer may have referenced the Jayco published dry (unloaded) tongue weight and felt since it was within your TV's receiver "Weight Carrying" limit a WDH wasn't needed........, I'm only guessing here.

That very well may be an accurate statement out of you. Again that's why I'm here, a second opinion. But I also didn't want to buy one, because it's the thing to do. I'd rather find out if it's needed and go from there. If it is indeed need, then I need to start looking at what one to get, what weight I need to get.

----Actually a properly matched and configured TV/HTT combination (within weight limits, proper weight distribution, receiver rating, etc..) shouldn't incur any sway under most towing conditions...., without a sway control device. The incorporation of a sway control device should be looked at as a pro-active insurance policy should a true sway event arise.

Most WDH seem to have some sway control incorporated, but if I don't need it I won't need to make sure it's a package deal.

----If you are experiencing a sway event(s) under normal towing conditions, then I would first determine the root cause of the sway condition. The sway condition could be the result of not enough tongue weight based on the actual HTT weight, improper tire inflation, loss of weight on TV front suspension, HTT towing nose high, etc.. This is why I reference a CAT scale often in many of my Towing replies within JOF, the information provided at a CAT scale weigh-in is priceless when dialing-in a TV/HTT combination.

I mostly notice sway traveling down the west cost of Michigan, we can get some heavy winds along the HGWY coming home.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
You won't feel the "need" for a WDH until it is too late. Someday, you WILL get into a severe sway condition and as your truck and trailer are being scattered over the road, you'll say to yourself…I wish I had bought a WDH with anti-sway. That day may not happen for several years or it may happen the next tow. It can come from a gust of wind, the wash off a tractor trailer or simple some jackoff cutting you off or pulling out in front of you. A WDH is like insurance…not always needed until something happens. I wasn't taking a chance with my $70k worth of equipment and family, so I bought the best hitch available, a ProPride 3P. I now have NO sway to worry about. It was well over $2k but worth 2x the money! I now out-tow my buddy with a 3/4 ton diesel on windy days! He has a Reese WDH with sway control yet there are days he fights his combo. He tows a Jayco 28BHS.
Getting a WDH just to make sure my family is better protected may just make this a simple decision. Need to make sure they're good above all else
Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Couple of things, first, Michael, when you get this, maybe after you install this, could you let me know your thoughts? I'd like to heae first hand. This really looks like a good move to how things are being towed.

Second I thought this was pretty heavy duty. It's also for horse trailers. 2-3 horses are going to weigh more than my trailer. Their website claims to go up to "14,000 lbs GTWR 2-5/16" ball, 10,000 lbs GTWR 2" ball • 1,400 lbs tongue weight" That's well above my TT.
I will do so!
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... Most WDH seem to have some sway control incorporated, but if I don't need it I won't need to make sure it's a package deal....... snip
Just for clarification, most WDH's do in fact have a sway control device associated with them, but in many cases the sway control device is a "separate" item. The Anderson WDH, Equal-i-zer WDH, and Reese Strait-Line WDH products have "integrated" sway control which is part of the WDH design. One disadvantage of the "separate" sway control device is that it is recommended to remove it when backing up, the "Integrated" sway control no removal required.

You will also find as you look into different sway control products, the "integrated" versions can be a little more effective in some sway events (i.e.: Reese Strait-Line is a "pro-active" sway control design).

Quote:
snip....I mostly notice sway traveling down the west cost of Michigan, we can get some heavy winds along the HGWY coming home.
Yes, crosswinds can really be a challenge and a sway control device can be an important enhancement minimizing the effect on any TV/HTT combination. I've been in some nasty crosswinds out west (New Mexico, Arizona, etc.) and they can even give my TV/TT combination a good test, but in most cases the most notable end effect is my MPG suffers.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
I will do so!
Thanks very much.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Just for clarification, most WDH's do in fact have a sway control device associated with them, but in many cases the sway control device is a "separate" item. The Anderson WDH, Equal-i-zer WDH, and Reese Strait-Line WDH products have "integrated" sway control which is part of the WDH design. One disadvantage of the "separate" sway control device is that it is recommended to remove it when backing up, the "Integrated" sway control no removal required.

You will also find as you look into different sway control products, the "integrated" versions can be a little more effective in some sway events (i.e.: Reese Strait-Line is a "pro-active" sway control design).

Yes, crosswinds can really be a challenge and a sway control device can be an important enhancement minimizing the effect on any TV/HTT combination. I've been in some nasty crosswinds out west (New Mexico, Arizona, etc.) and they can even give my TV/TT combination a good test, but in most cases the most notable end effect is my MPG suffers.

Bob
I knew the Andersen had the integrated sway control, but not the others. I'll take a look at those and see what kind of pricing I can find. Any opinion on benefits of one to the other?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #31

Both Equal-I-Zer and Reese are proven over years of service, Anderson is still new to the Market. Although it may prove to be one of the best, I wouldn't want to be someone's field test.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
I knew the Andersen had the integrated sway control, but not the others. I'll take a look at those and see what kind of pricing I can find. Any opinion on benefits of one to the other?

This WDH poll and member discussion may prove helpful.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=poll
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #33

The Equalizer really seems to be the choice. I checked price wise seems to be anywhere from 4-600, does that sound right?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... Any opinion on benefits of one to the other?
IMO the Equal-i-zer brand WDH and the Reese Strait-Line brand WDH will equally provide superior sway control when sized/adjusted correctly.

The one design function of the Reese Strait-Line WDH that I like is the way the spring bar force is placed/applied over the cam surface, it works at keeping the TV/HTT traveling in a straight line .... thus my comment in a prior post, being a "pro-active" sway control design.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #35

So depending on the reviews of the Andersen hitch, maybe I could have you way in on round bars vs trunnion bars. Which is better do you guys think. I'm not sure which is better, or what the actual difference is. Can you give me the low down and let me know the benefits to either?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

A round spring bar WDH and trunnion spring bar WDH of equal weight rating will give the same weight distribution results, but with some WDH manufactures the trunnion bar WDH can be purchased in the higher weight rating class (ie; 1,500lb rating).

I have found that in many cases the round bar WDH works a little better with with TT's that have the ball coupler welded to the top of the TT A-frame (clearances), and the trunnion bar WDH works better with the ball coupler welded to the bottom of the A-frame.

If it's determined that either spring bar WDH will work, I would go with the trunnion bar WDH because the associated Ball Mount allows for additional tilt (over the round bar Ball Mount)..., which comes in handy when making WDH weight distribution adjustments.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #37

We pull a 31 BHS with a 2013 Ram 1500. We use a WDH and wouldnt pull without it.
This spring we are adding either heavier duty coils or Timbrens.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #38

The WDH will actually raise the rear of the truck as you load the proper size bars cause like you mentioned will transfer some of the rear weight forward so less is on the rear, which is why they call them equalizer bars!!!! But with just a have ton, I would definetly purchase a WDH with proper equalizer bars to make it so much safer along with the anti sway bar!!! The vehicle was meant to ride level and not have the front end light and up in the air, plus the first time some idiot jumps the lane in front of you and you have to get on the binders and swerve to avoid the idiot with the anti sway bar and WDH hopefully you will be able to avoid the idiot with out loosing control of your vehicle and TT and sky rocket your insurance rates, lol. Better safe than sorry, there wouldn't be a question in my mind if I was in your position!!!
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #39

Ok, so i picked up the Andersen last Saturday. Looks heavy duty and rated at 14.000 lbs of TC. Can't wait to get it on the camper.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #40
Lost in the Woods

One can install air shocks to help with the weight such as Gabriel High Jackers. I went with the Roadmaster suspension instead.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote