Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2023, 07:51 AM   #1

Weighed my F-150

Took my truck to the CAT scales yesterday afternoon to get my baseline weight.

GVWR: 7050 / Weigh: 5600 / Delta: +1450
FAWR: 3450 / Weigh: 3160 / Delta: +290
RAWR: 4150 / Weigh: 2440 / Delta: +1710

The truck was weighed with a full tank of gas and myself in the seat. Accessories I installed include a Extang Trifecta Signature 2.0 tonneau (canvas), FoMoCo tray liners (the heavy rubber ones), RhinoLiner wheel well liners, and WeatherTech mudflaps.

My observations:
A. I'm a little surprised my front axle weight was as heavy as it is. I suppose that explains the stock Ford rake of the vehicle to a degree.
B. I have enough payload to handle my DW, a 1k tongue, and a few hundred pounds left over for stuff to put in the bed if I so choose. I typically would only put my WeberQ/Cart combo, fresh water bin, and black tank bin in the bed. Not much else, typically.
C. My rear axle can take 17 pounds less than my stickered payload capacity; it was a good move to go for the truck w/ the 4150 RAWR vs. the 3800 RAWR.
D. My axle ratings indicate I could weigh as heavy as 7600 pounds; 550 pounds more than my stickered GVWR. I have to assume there is something else in the truck holding me back from realizing my axle potential.

I'm thinking my truck should be good to go with a 22'-26' TT w/ a GVWR of 7k or less. Perhaps a higher GVWR if the payload on the trailer is such that I'd never fill it to GVWR. I know some makes are more generous w/ CCC than other's.

So far, I have to say I'm feeling pretty good about my truck and my target trailer specs. I feel like I have all the information I need now to be an informed shopper, and eventually a informed buyer in a couple of years.

Thoughts?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
snip....... My axle ratings indicate I could weigh as heavy as 7600 pounds; 550 pounds more than my stickered GVWR. I have to assume there is something else in the truck holding me back from realizing my axle potential........snip
Your correct..., one's specified GVWR rules.

The FAWR & RAWR weight limits are independent, and the CAT scale total weight of the two can't exceed one's specified GVWR.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Your correct..., one's specified GVWR rules.

The FAWR & RAWR weight limits are independent, and the CAT scale total weight of the two can't exceed one's specified GVWR.

Bob
Hi Bob - do you agree with my target trailer specs? Am I inbounds, in your opinion?

Old 05-30-2023, 08:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip........ I have enough payload to handle my DW, a 1k tongue, and a few hundred pounds left over for stuff to put in the bed if I so choose.........snip
Based on the above weights you could be quickly approaching your TV's GVWR which isn't an ideal, so may require keeping a close eye on one's "actual" loaded weights.

Quote:
snip........I'm thinking my truck should be good to go with a 22'-26' TT w/ a GVWR of 7k or less. Perhaps a higher GVWR if the payload on the trailer is such that I'd never fill it to GVWR. I know some makes are more generous w/ CCC than other's........snip
Rule-off-thumb is to consider the worst case loaded TT scenario: ie; TT loaded to it's 7,000lb GVWR would have a recommended loaded tongue weight range of 910lb to 1,050lb (13% to 15% of gross weight).

We all have different loading and travel habits..., and it's relatively easy over a period of time adding incremental cargo weight to our RV's. Yes, a generous 'CCC' can work in one's favor...., but at the end of the day it's the "actual' loaded weight that has to be taken into account.

I tend to load a little on the heavy side because I do a lot of extended stay camping and boondocking. I on occasion carry some 'travel' water in my fresh water tank as well.

Just curious, what is the specified Towing Capacity of your TV?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 05-30-2023, 08:18 PM   #5

GCWR: 19400
Tow Capacity: 13800

I'm feeling relatively confidant in my packing/loading as I've done the majority of my RV'ing in Class C's with limited CCC. My last Jayco had roughly the same amount of CCC as my truck, and I scaled out ok including my family of 4 counting against my cap. This go around it'll just be DW and I, so I'm thinking I should be ok as I'll have somewhat less 'stuff'. Of course, I'll scale it and see when the time comes, I just want to shoot for something reasonable/safe.

I'm not looking to be 'that guy'.

I'm hoping to assemble a list of models that could work for me, and hopefully see them at Hershey this year. I figure this is a good way to start. Get the truck, understand what the truck is capable of, set my expectations accordingly, and finally shop around those expectations.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Your due-diligence will pay dividends once you decide on your future TT purchase.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 05-31-2023, 10:36 AM   #7

Don't forget to add the weight of your hitch as payload. I know it's only 100-ish pouinds but they do add up.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:31 PM   #8

Depending on my trailer selection, I might evaluate the Anderson hitch as opposed to the Weigh Safe middleweight. I understand the Anderson is pretty light and some on this forum regard it pretty highly. Especially if I'm not towing long or heavy.