Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
amabee, you're making me remember the ease of hitching up the popup.

7000 lbs is two fully loaded x17Z's, and we only haul one.
Yep, popups are definitely easy to hitch up.

I know I could get away without a WDH with my setup, but I have towed enough cargo trailers with 500lbs or more TW to know what it does to the steering. Even though it's within the weight carrying capacity of the hitch, 500-600lbs on the hitch is noticeable. This is the first WDH I have ever used and it is, to me anyway, a big difference. You don't really feel the trailer back there and steering feels very "normal". Makes for a much more comfortable towing experience.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....... it's going to take some real convincing numbers to sway me to accept that 100% is not the desired result, with 50% being the minimum.....snip
That's where I'm at as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #43

Quote:
I guess you, like the rest of us interested in this issue, will watch it play out.
Having been exposed to the development of new and/or changed engineering standards in my working life, I can say it may take many months or maybe a couple years, for any kind if consensus to be reached for something like this. The Europeans have never had any applications of the WDH concept. In fact I have heard the EU has rules on their books banning the use of a WDH. Politics plays into it as much as any kind of hard science the engineering community might have. I think Rustic Eagle makes a good point about the new towing standard maybe triggering this 50% FALR recommendation. The playing field has changed somewhat with the new standard, and now they need to come to grips with how all the different weight and load factors come into play. Keep in mind, Ford, GM and Dodge don't make a WDH. In the past, they left that product to others, and now they need to think more and deeper about how the WDH systems tie into the new towing standard they are expected to test to and comply with.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #44

I thought I read somewhere that only Toyota is in compliance with SAE J2807 to date and they actually de-rated their pickups. Haven't seen any evidence of compliance from any of the big three, just "ours tows more than yours", or "ours gets 3 feet more mpg's than yours". Blah, blah blah. Also on the Ford WDH setup, that is also verbatim in my Super Dutys owners manual. IMO, they may be starting/ playing a somewhat dangerous game. Maybe if the engineers were to pull a 10,000lb TT down the road with a 1/2 ton pickup at 60mph, things might change, especially after you pried their knuckles off the steering wheel. JMO, Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
I thought I read somewhere that only Toyota is in compliance with SAE J2807 to date....snip
Terry,

Your correct.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #46

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that only Toyota is in compliance with SAE J2807 to date and they actually de-rated their pickups. Haven't seen any evidence of compliance from any of the big three, just "ours tows more than yours", or "ours gets 3 feet more mpg's than yours". Blah, blah blah. Also on the Ford WDH setup, that is also verbatim in my Super Dutys owners manual. IMO, they may be starting/ playing a somewhat dangerous game. Maybe if the engineers were to pull a 10,000lb TT down the road with a 1/2 ton pickup at 60mph, things might change, especially after you pried their knuckles off the steering wheel. JMO, Terry
In order for Toyota to "comply with" the new standard, they needed to test their vehicles under the conditions stipulated in the standard, and report the results to the governing body. Probably the DOT. Usually the governing body insists on a qualified third party being the one performing the tests. There are upwards of 30 or so parameters to measure under real world towing conditions. This is a very good thing for us TT owners, but is kind of a separate issue from the WDH adjustment goals.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #47

Sorry David, did not mean to drift off the original post. I guess my thought was that the 2013 model pickups were produced in 2012, shouldn't they be in compliance this year. I agree, this is a separate issue and may warrant further discussion somewhere else. Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #48

Quote:
Sorry David, did not mean to drift off the original post. I guess my thought was that the 2013 model pickups were produced in 2012, shouldn't they be in compliance this year. I agree, this is a separate issue and may warrant further discussion somewhere else. Terry
Terry,
No need to apologize.....in my view, it's all grist for the mill, and worth mentioning in the discussion.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #49

... got an email response from Progress Mfg. It's stuff we have all read many times. In other words, a full return, or close to it, is desireable.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #50

... my final post regarding a height / weight return during WDH application. Nothing new here.

Equalizer, in a customer service response, states a full return is desired. Ford, in a customer service response, states a 50% return is desired because you have to factor in all things in the TV’s setup. These would both be height measurements because of how the measurements are taken.

So, if you have a Ford and an Equalizer WDH, you have a decision to make.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I've also been following some threads at other RV forums on the subject of Ford & GM "50%" front fender height return, and a 50% to 100% weight return seems to be an acceptable range depending on the vehicle in question. What I have seen noted on a number of occasions is that dropping the TV's front fender height "below" it's unhitched height with WDH usage is not recomended..., which we knew (avoiding an oversteer condition).

I have yet to run across any data addressing the relationship of 50% front fender "height" return and how it relates to front suspension "weight" value return.

In a thread at RV.NET I did find the following statement of interest: "I think Ford and others are using front-end height only as an indicator of axle load. They probably assume many more people will attempt to measure height changes than will go to a scales and measure load changes. Unfortunately, it's the load changes which are the important parameter."

Source: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...3.cfm#26769143

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #52

Quote:
.....snip..... Ford, in a customer service response, states a 50% return is desired because you have to factor in all things in the TV’s setup. These would both be height measurements because of how the measurements are taken. ......snip......
A couple things come to mind when I was thinking about this;
1. Many Ford truck owners are contractors who tow large utility trailers. When Ford makes recommendations, they will try to encompass all their owners/users.
2. When they say you have to factor all things in the set-up, perhaps they mean when an owner such as a contractor sets up a hitch, they likely do so with none of their crew in the truck, and maybe not all their tools. Maybe this is what is meant by "factoring in all things in the TV set-up"???
Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #53

David472, That was part of the discussion I had with Ford. I suggested a contractor might load a truck heavy in the rear with an air compressor, welder, tools, etc., and the front end might never return to where it was before they started. I'll bet there's far more work applications than recreational, and yes, they do have to satisfy those folks too.

They wouldn't get into any engineering applications, and stayed close to the customer service script. That's to be expected.

Edit: I would never recommend to any one that close is good enough, but there is probably more than a few folks who are in that category. I wonder what percentage of TV's have between 50 and 100% weight return?