Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

Weight Distribution Questions

My parents just bought their first camper on eBay it's 2 states away and I get to go get it. I have a 165 sport which doesn't require a WD hitch. The new camper is an ultra lite 4400 lbs dry with a 550 lb hitch weight. They have a crew cab 4x4 half ton 2008 Silverado. Will I need a WD hitch just to get it home or can it handle it? I didn't know if I could buy one and take with me and install on the new camper before I head home with it. I've read the links about these hitches and they sound like they aren't simple to set up or get dialed in. I have used one before on a race car trailer but I didn't set it up just used it on a buddies truck. Guess I'm asking if it's do-able. Thanks in advance.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #2

Just my opinion but being you ask for advice I would guess you most likely know the answer. Personally I would tow it without a WD hitch and sway control.

But I also feel you should have given more information such as engine and axel information on the TV and year model and length of the TT

Also ask yourself what is your parents intended use for the camper. Are the going to be towing it or is it going to be put on a lot?
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Were you planning on getting a WD hitch? If you were, make arrangements to have one installed near the purchase. I bought an equalizer WD and it was bolt on only. If you have the right equipment it is fairly simple to install. It took me ~ 2 hours to get it installed, re-align and finalize, never having installed one before (or pulled a trailer).

Did the individuals you are purchasing one pull the trailer use one? Perhaps you can buy the one they were using or at least get an idea how they felt about pulling with or without one. I'd find out what the previous owners have to say (use a WD or need to have one). If you end up not using one take the long way home going slower until you are more comfortable and have more experience pulling this trailer.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #4

It's a brand new 25 foot camper from a dealer. 1/2 ton crew cab Silverado will be the tow vehicle. I'm sure the dealer could sell one but I figured they'd stick it to us. I can buy the hitch and research it and install it just wasn't sure what I could accomplish on the side of the road somewhere. I know the mounts that go on the tongue just clamp on I wasn't sure if they had a standard install location or if that was what everyone talks about adjusting. I guess what I'm asking is 550 lbs to mice tongue weight without WD
Old 06-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #5

You "could" install one on the side of the road if you made sure to have the correct tools. May want to see how much the dealer would charge to install and set up then you can buy it anywhere.

Remeber that the 550 pounds toung weight is advertised weight, actual weight will be more with propane and batteries installed.

I personally prefer to use WD hitch even if it's not really needed.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverta16 View Post
It's a brand new 25 foot camper from a dealer. 1/2 ton crew cab Silverado will be the tow vehicle. I'm sure the dealer could sell one but I figured they'd stick it to us. I can buy the hitch and research it and install it just wasn't sure what I could accomplish on the side of the road somewhere. I know the mounts that go on the tongue just clamp on I wasn't sure if they had a standard install location or if that was what everyone talks about adjusting. I guess what I'm asking is 550 lbs to mice tongue weight without WD
This is one item I would absolutely pay the dealer to install and configure. 25' trailers are big enough to easily really get overloaded. So arnt 1/2 ton trucks. Have the dealer bolt it on, align it, and check it.

Heck, 3/4 ton crews are easy to overload without even knowing it... Until you run it over a CAT scale. (Don't ask me how I know that so well...). . Lol

Point is, the WD will save your bacon someday. If you get one with integrated sway control, you'll be even happier. Trust me.
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... Will I need a WD hitch just to get it home or can it handle it?.
Based on the information provided, IMO yes, you need a WDH to safety tow the trailer home, even under ideal towing conditions (which aren't guaranteed). A sway control device would be recommended as well for the tow home.

My opinion is based on the following:

* The dry weights stated are "published" weights, not factory weights (yellow sticker) which are heavier. If purchased from private owner it will weigh even more.

* The 2008 Silverado will be the tow vehicle with standard OEM receiver (I believe is 600lbs maximum "Weight Carrying").

IMO the tongue weight that will be placed on the hitch ball of the Silverado will effect the TV's front suspension and possibly compromise TV steering and/or handling.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #8

You need a WDH

According to the Costco Auto sales web page a brand new 2015 Silverado 1500 crew cab standard bed 4WD is only rated to tow a 5000 pound trailer with a 500 pound maximum tongue weight when not using a WDH. Additionally, the weight ratings with a WDH are listed as 7000 lbs trailer weight and 1050 lbs tongue weight even though the truck is advertised as being able to tow 9100 pounds! Your folks 2008 is probably very similar.

See it here: Costco Auto │ Car buying made easy │ new vehicles & more! Go to the Specs & Features tab and scroll down.
All that said, I think you could probably get away with it once if you aren't going too far and if you exercise great care but I'd recommend going straight to a dealer upon arrival.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #9

The dealer may not really be sticking it to you although I wouldn't be surprised. I would check with Camping World or someone else who would sell and install one to see if the dealer is competitive. If the dealer is trying to be exorbitant I would point out the competitive pricing you found and see if they would work with you. They might want to maintain some sort of positive relationship in hopes of getting some service and/or future purchase business with you in the future. Is there a camping world nearby where you could get one installed? IMHO I think I could install one myself too, in my garage, but not too confident I would tackle the job on the way home.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

Couldn't you just buy the one you want, from where you want, and carry it with you? Then have the dealer set it up for you.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #11

I called the dealer just then and spoke with him, they only sell Reese Pro Series and he gets $400 installed which sounds fair. I asked if they were round bar, trunion, and sway and he couldn't answer my questions. I've read alot about WD hitches on here and believe I've heard that trunion style with chains is best. When I lookup the reese pro series I see they make all styles so now I'm in the dark as to what they actually have. I think I'll look at buying my own and taking with me. I just want something simple my parents can use.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
I called the dealer just then and spoke with him, they only sell Reese Pro Series and he gets $400 installed which sounds fair. I asked if they were round bar, trunion, and sway and he couldn't answer my questions. I've read alot about WD hitches on here and believe I've heard that trunion style with chains is best. When I lookup the reese pro series I see they make all styles so now I'm in the dark as to what they actually have. I think I'll look at buying my own and taking with me. I just want something simple my parents can use.
Ive got the Reese Strait Line trunnion style. LOVE it!!!!! 35 feet tongue to bumper, with a gross combined of 16,000 pounds. I'll only use strait line trunnion style from now on.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #13

A trailer that lite empty, I'd tow without WD if I didn't have one. I would head directly to a cat scale to see if I needed to adjust the tongue weight by putting bottled water front or rear of the axle.

I also have the Reese straight line with dual cams and love it.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

You'll need at least a Class III 2" ball no matter what you do. Your parents will most likely wind up getting a WD hitch so I would let them buy one for you to use on your trip. You don't need a real heavy duty expensive one for that trailer. You can buy the big box wrenches at Northern Tool or someplace like that to set it up yourself as it is fairly easy. My experience has been that the dealers just slap them together and they are never set up right so you may wind up redoing it yourself anyway. Put some grease on the ball and grease any grease fittings if it has any.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #15

Called them back got a part number to what they stock. It's the reece flat bar trunion style with chains, and dual friction sway. Just going to let them install it and it ready for us to hit the road. I'll double check everything when we get it home I'm sure they set it up correctly. I have alot to learn still. Thanks all for the help.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
According to the Costco Auto sales web page a brand new 2015 Silverado 1500 crew cab standard bed 4WD is only rated to tow a 5000 pound trailer with a 500 pound maximum tongue weight when not using a WDH. Additionally, the weight ratings with a WDH are listed as 7000 lbs trailer weight and 1050 lbs tongue weight even though the truck is advertised as being able to tow 9100 pounds! Your folks 2008 is probably very similar.

See it here: Costco Auto │ Car buying made easy │ new vehicles & more! Go to the Specs & Features tab and scroll down.
All that said, I think you could probably get away with it once if you aren't going too far and if you exercise great care but I'd recommend going straight to a dealer upon arrival.
The 2" receiver that is stock on a chevy (ford and dodge for that matter) are only rated for 5000# trailer/500# tongue weight without a WD hitch. Also most 2" receiver ball adapters are similarly rated. Additionally, a dealership might not let you leave with the trailer unless you are towing under the hitch ratings.

50# over tongue weight is only 10%, but it is still over weight. I have taken a trailer only on the ball to my local dealership 5 miles away, but two states away? get a WD hitch. Buy and set it up yourself, or buy from them and let them set it up.

Contrary to the general impressions of negative experiences you read here, nearly all dealerships can set up a WD hitch right. they want to keep your business and their reputation, therefore they want to do it right. (Yes, occasionally dealerships screw it up).

If you buy from the dealer and have them install it, they will warranty their work. Any catastrophe on the way home, they will probably own up to fixing.

when I bought mine, I didn't buy their recommended hitch, I told them the brand and model I wanted, they ordered it, and they installed it. Nominal hourly rate for their labor, and I got to drink coffee and read a book.

2010 ram 2500 cclb
2008 jayco 26bhs
reese strait-line hitch with 1000# trunion bars.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You can find the class rating specs on your hitch on line from most truck mfg's
If you have a tow package it usual a class IV. on the 1/2 ton series trucks.
Some people have a notion to think "doomsday", it is just a matter of using common sense and know your specifications of your equipment.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Yeah right. I've had four dealers tell me that my Tundra will pull a 16,000 lb 5er. Not one has ever set up a WD hitch correctly.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Called them back got a part number to what they stock. It's the reece flat bar trunion style with chains, and dual friction sway. Just going to let them install it and it ready for us to hit the road. I'll double check everything when we get it home I'm sure they set it up correctly. I have alot to learn still. Thanks all for the help.
Good call!

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Yeah right. I've had four dealers tell me that my Tundra will pull a 16,000 lb 5er. Not one has ever set up a WD hitch correctly.
I thought Tundra can pull the space shuttle? 16K should be a walk in the park
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote