Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Weight Distribution Setup

I'm reading about this for one year now and I have a question:
Most of the instructions and videos I found says that you should set up your bars tension in a such way that the front of the car would be back to the height it was before hitching the trailer.
But I found some that said that you should set up the WD bars in such a way that the amount of reduction in height in the front and in the rear are the same, lets say 1" or 1.5" , etc - Basically the same amount, whatever it is....

What you guys think about it?
Have you tried it?

Tks,

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #2

The goal with weight distribution on your vehicle is to return weight to the front axle that was removed by the tongue weight of the trailer placed behind the rear axle. It's acting like a teeter totter and the fulcrum is the rear axle. You're looking to return the removed weight to the front axle - rear end ride height is merely a bi-product of the weight shift.

Some vehicles have recommendations in the manual to return front end ride height to a certain height compared to unloaded, if not the same. You do not want to exceed the unloaded front axle weight (transfer too much weight forward).

Old 02-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #3

Trying to get the front down further than it was originally is transferring too much weight forward, and is impossible on some trucks (there are stops that prevent it from sinking down too far).

A properly adjusted setup should come down to the same original level or higher; some manufacturers recommend reducing by half of the rise (if your front is up 2" without the bars, you want the front up 1" with the bars). Most truck owners manuals include instructions on what the TV should end up at with a properly setup WDH.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #4

My Reese Dual Cam has you set it back to preload height in the front. And the trailer is to be level. It took some doing, but I got my trailer level, my ball 1" lower than unloaded, and my front fender equal to unloaded. It works great and is so much better than how the dealer originally had the hitch set up on our Tahoe.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Bankr63,
does the Traverse manual has the Chevy recommendation for the front high under towing?

Tks,

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

RACarvalho,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
snip....... Most of the instructions and videos I found says that you should set up your bars tension in a such way that the front of the car would be back to the height it was before hitching the trailer.....snip
That is correct and ideal. Using front "fender heights" gets one close when adjusting a WDH (CAT scale is best way), the main abject is to return the same amount of "weight" back to the front suspension that was removed do to effect of the TT's tongue being placed on the TV's hitch ball. As mentioned, check your owners manual it will state the TV's front suspension requirement when using a WDH.

Quote:
snip......But I found some that said that you should set up the WD bars in such a way that the amount of reduction in height in the front and in the rear are the same,.....snip
That's an inaccurate statement. The main design/function of a WDH is to address/maintain the integrity of a TV's front suspension (steering, braking, alignment, etc.). In almost every case after a WDH has been properly adjusted the TV's rear suspension may incur a 1" to 2" squat....., this is normal. All TV suspensions and TV/TT combinations aren't created equal, so there may be some cases where the rear suspension may not incur any squat after proper WDH adjustment, but not very often.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #7

The instructions for my WDH have two parts: (i) levelling the truck through adjustment of the tension on the bars and (ii) levelling the trailer through adjusting the height of the ball.

Once everything is setup, my truck is almost level and so is the trailer. This results in a balance of the weight of the truck on the front and rear axles (approximately). This ends up being 3000-3200# per truck axle which are both rated to 3900#. I also assume that this results in a balance of the remaining weight of the trailer on both its axles.

I had to readjust the WDH as soon as I left the dealer, they really botched it up!

Quote:
I'm reading about this for one year now and I have a question:
Most of the instructions and videos I found says that you should set up your bars tension in a such way that the front of the car would be back to the height it was before hitching the trailer.
But I found some that said that you should set up the WD bars in such a way that the amount of reduction in height in the front and in the rear are the same, lets say 1" or 1.5" , etc - Basically the same amount, whatever it is....

What you guys think about it?
Have you tried it?

Tks,
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

RAC,

As mentioned, look in your tv owners manual to see what the manufacture recommends for a properly adjusted wdh. Since most tvs today have a rake to their stance, they may very well end up being level, or slightly lower in the rear once you have adjusted the wdh per the tv manufacture's recommendation. Don't worry if the rear is squaring a little more that level, as long as you are within all the tv specs (rear axle, gvwr, etc) you are good to go! Some manufactures have even changed their recommendation from one year to the next. Ford for example used to be to return 50% of the lost weight to the front axle. It is now suggested to only return 25% of the lost weight for the new trucks (since '15 I think it is) from what I have read (I don't own a Ford). Most if not all wdh manufactures will give a suggestion for adjustment, but also state to refer to the tv owners manual and follow that if different.

Concerning the "equal squat" for front and rear of the tv, that was what was suggested up until somewhere around '03-'05ish or so.... After some studies and tests were done, the recommended way of adjusting a wdh changed. From what I have read on RV.Net, there are a few who still follow the old school way.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

Thanks need-a-vacation !
Do you have the link for the studies that changed the mindset on this?

Tks,

Old 02-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #10

A little squat is fine. More than say...2"...you need to readjust.

Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote