Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2023, 11:33 PM   #4421

I didn’t do anything to my current truck, but I did spend time online researching a new one. I’m still on the fence between a 3/4 and 1 ton truck.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:49 AM   #4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
I didn’t do anything to my current truck, but I did spend time online researching a new one. I’m still on the fence between a 3/4 and 1 ton truck.

Fun decisions. The newer 3/4 ton trucks are pretty capable. If your sticking to a travel trailer, I’d go 3/4 ton. If a FW and you don’t yet know what model you’d want, I’d go with a 1 ton SRW to cover yourself in case you go big. 1 ton DRW if your thinking of a wide body FW(Pinnacle).
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:27 AM   #4423

Quote:
GM 3/4 tons have a pretty high CCC compared to Ram and Ford. Pretty sure you can get a GM 2500 with a 11,300-500? GVWR
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:45 AM   #4424

We got a 3/4 ton. Wish we had a 1 ton. You will always want more capacity, not less.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:22 AM   #4425
Site Team

I've always owned 3/4 tons. Registration costs in PA are significantly more expensive as the GVWR increases and that has played a role in my decision. Our trailers have always been on the lighter side so it has worked out fine.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:56 PM   #4426

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
GM 3/4 tons have a pretty high CCC compared to Ram and Ford. Pretty sure you can get a GM 2500 with a 11,300-500? GVWR

11350 on mine.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
Old 01-18-2023, 11:25 AM   #4427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I've always owned 3/4 tons. Registration costs in PA are significantly more expensive as the GVWR increases and that has played a role in my decision. Our trailers have always been on the lighter side so it has worked out fine.
opposite here in MN... a one ton is tabs are $149.. a 3/4 ton is 10% of MSRP... it was a no brainer.. 1 ton all day... ;o)
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:37 PM   #4428

Here in Nevada the registration fees are based on the value of the vehicle. So the registration fee to register a 1 ton is t much different than a 3/4 ton.
Weimaraner Duke
Old 01-26-2023, 09:48 AM   #4429

What did you do to your Tow Vehicle today?

Yesterday I did Firestone bags and Bakflip bed cover. I was going to stick with the Timbrens, but figured I’d complicate things and have some adjustability. I’m sore today from crawling around on the garage floor. Also, trying to route coiled plastic airlines in 40 degree temps is not recommended.

Now I need to find a couple 3’s and 0’s to replace the 2 and 5 on each side of my truck. Make it a 3000HD. Now it’s 4/5 ton. Lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2590.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	86008
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2582.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	86009
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
Old 01-26-2023, 12:33 PM   #4430

LOL I was thinking the same thing. I have a F-200.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:56 PM   #4431

Brushed the snow off of it again!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:28 PM   #4432

thought about it hibernating in the shed up north... one less rust winter to be driven in..
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:37 PM   #4433

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Also, trying to route coiled plastic airlines in 40 degree temps is not recommended.

Attachment 86008
Attachment 86009
That’s why you do it in a heated garage.
Weimaraner Duke
Old 01-27-2023, 10:40 AM   #4434

Dodge bearing

Quote:
I finally got my ram back from the stealership. One morning I heard a noise coming from the rear of the truck. I stopped a couple times and looked to see if there was anything that looked wrong. I didn’t have time to do anything more. At lunch I looked and saw that the rear was leaking oil. I figured the axle seal had failed. Since I bought the lifetime powertrain warranty from Chrysler when I bought the truck new, I took it to the closest dealer, Reno dodge. They examined it and told me the noise I heard was the axle bearing. It disintegrated and sent metal through all the gears in the rear end and taking out the axle seal. The service advisor said he submitted the claim to stellantis, the European parent company of ram, Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep. It took them a week before they looked at the claim and rejected because the incompetent service advisor filed it wrong. So he refiled it the correct way. It then took them another week before they looked at the claim again. Before the service advisor filed the first claim he told me that there was a 50% chance it would be approved. He told me that Stellantis tries to find loop holes to get out of paying for repairs. If it wasn’t approved the repair would cost me $6500. He also told me since the brakes got oil on them that they needed to be replaced. Since brakes are wear items they wouldn’t be covered by the warranty so it would cost me $1100 for new brakes. I talked to a reputable shop and told them everything that the stealership told me and he was in disbelief. He gave me a ruff estimate range and the high part of the range was way cheaper than what the stealership had quoted me. He also confirmed what I already knew, that the rotors that were on replaced last year could be cleaned and only new pads were needed. Since the brakes were removed to do the repair work it should be cheaper than a regular pad replacement. He told me they were trying to double dip in addition to over charging. Luckily stellantis approved the work and it was done and I just had my $100 deductible to pay. Last year when I did the brakes I replaced the pads, rotors, and calipers using a kit from PowerStop. The pads and rotors perform much better than oem. The calipers are mopar calipers that were rebuilt with better than oem parts. They are also powder coated red. The stealership installed a new axle assembly which consists of a new axle housing, axles, gears and brakes. All they had to do is remove the old assembly, install the new and fill with fluid. Since my calipers and rotors are better than oem I had them use them instead of the new ones. All they had to do was remove 4 bolts to remove the calipers and then install the old ones on the new axle housing. It is much faster and easier than bleeding the air out of the brake lines if they replace the calipers. They charged me $195 to reuse my parts. A process that saved them time and expense. They tried at every point in the process to milk as much money out of me that they could. I was treated as if I was too stupid to understand the work they were doing. Every bit of work they did is something I’ve done myself before while working on my own vehicles over the years. They told me the repair is a 6 hour job, but it still took them 3 days to do it. They had my truck for 3 weeks. I wish I had taken the time to have my truck hauled on a flatbed truck to the next closest dealership 35 miles away in Carson City. They are much more competent and honest. If you are ever in the Reno area and need a dodge dealership avoid Reno dodge at all costs.
Have a 06 Dodge Ram 3500 bought was new doing rear brakes at 150000 miles found left rear bearing and seal shoot. Replaced both sides OK now. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:18 AM   #4435

Previously posted...

Quote:
I finally got my ram back from the stealership. One morning I heard a noise coming from the rear of the truck. I stopped a couple times and looked to see if there was anything that looked wrong. I didn’t have time to do anything more. At lunch I looked and saw that the rear was leaking oil. I figured the axle seal had failed. Since I bought the lifetime powertrain warranty from Chrysler when I bought the truck new, I took it to the closest dealer, Reno dodge. They examined it and told me the noise I heard was the axle bearing. It disintegrated and sent metal through all the gears in the rear end and taking out the axle seal. The service advisor said he submitted the claim to stellantis, the European parent company of ram, Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep. It took them a week before they looked at the claim and rejected because the incompetent service advisor filed it wrong. So he refiled it the correct way. It then took them another week before they looked at the claim again. Before the service advisor filed the first claim he told me that there was a 50% chance it would be approved. He told me that Stellantis tries to find loop holes to get out of paying for repairs. If it wasn’t approved the repair would cost me $6500. He also told me since the brakes got oil on them that they needed to be replaced. Since brakes are wear items they wouldn’t be covered by the warranty so it would cost me $1100 for new brakes. I talked to a reputable shop and told them everything that the stealership told me and he was in disbelief. He gave me a ruff estimate range and the high part of the range was way cheaper than what the stealership had quoted me. He also confirmed what I already knew, that the rotors that were on replaced last year could be cleaned and only new pads were needed. Since the brakes were removed to do the repair work it should be cheaper than a regular pad replacement. He told me they were trying to double dip in addition to over charging. Luckily stellantis approved the work and it was done and I just had my $100 deductible to pay. Last year when I did the brakes I replaced the pads, rotors, and calipers using a kit from PowerStop. The pads and rotors perform much better than oem. The calipers are mopar calipers that were rebuilt with better than oem parts. They are also powder coated red. The stealership installed a new axle assembly which consists of a new axle housing, axles, gears and brakes. All they had to do is remove the old assembly, install the new and fill with fluid. Since my calipers and rotors are better than oem I had them use them instead of the new ones. All they had to do was remove 4 bolts to remove the calipers and then install the old ones on the new axle housing. It is much faster and easier than bleeding the air out of the brake lines if they replace the calipers. They charged me $195 to reuse my parts. A process that saved them time and expense. They tried at every point in the process to milk as much money out of me that they could. I was treated as if I was too stupid to understand the work they were doing. Every bit of work they did is something I’ve done myself before while working on my own vehicles over the years. They told me the repair is a 6 hour job, but it still took them 3 days to do it. They had my truck for 3 weeks. I wish I had taken the time to have my truck hauled on a flatbed truck to the next closest dealership 35 miles away in Carson City. They are much more competent and honest. If you are ever in the Reno area and need a dodge dealership avoid Reno dodge at all costs.
After eight trips, 12 days, numerous calls and six months, even before Stellantis, FCA was no better. Lemon-lawed my purchased new 2019 Ram 1500 with the State of Texas first week of October 2019, it spent 20 more days in the shop in October, and from November 8 until Lemon Law was executed January 23, 2020. It then took FCA until November 2020 to fix and dispose of the vehicle at auction with branded title. During the process, even corporate couldn't get anyone to answer the phone at the stealership. When the settlement agent asked "would you consider an 'in kind' replacement vehicle?" I laughed and gave them a FIRM NO.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:47 PM   #4436

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Have a 06 Dodge Ram 3500 bought was new doing rear brakes at 150000 miles found left rear bearing and seal shoot. Replaced both sides OK now. Thanks
Mine went at 101,000 miles.
Weimaraner Duke
Old 01-27-2023, 10:49 PM   #4437

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
After eight trips, 12 days, numerous calls and six months, even before Stellantis, FCA was no better. Lemon-lawed my purchased new 2019 Ram 1500 with the State of Texas first week of October 2019, it spent 20 more days in the shop in October, and from November 8 until Lemon Law was executed January 23, 2020. It then took FCA until November 2020 to fix and dispose of the vehicle at auction with branded title. During the process, even corporate couldn't get anyone to answer the phone at the stealership. When the settlement agent asked "would you consider an 'in kind' replacement vehicle?" I laughed and gave them a FIRM NO.
I would have given a firm NO too.
Weimaraner Duke
Old 02-15-2023, 07:17 PM   #4438

Considering New TV Dodge Ram with eTorque

We have a 199MBS Feather Micro weighs in around 4780# empty and are looking at a new tow vehicle. Our old 2005 GMC Sierra 1500HD quadrasteer has had two transmission failures in the past 6 months so thinking of upgrading before we spend a great deal more on it. The two front runners are the GMC 1500 Sierra with the 6.2l V8/10 speed, and the Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with the eTorque/8 speed. We've driven both. Just want to poll everyone here that has either of these two vehicles to hear your thoughts of ownership and towing.
Thanks for any info.
mtjag7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:28 PM   #4439

Dodge tha' Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjag7 View Post
We have a 199MBS Feather Micro weighs in around 4780# empty and are looking at a new tow vehicle. Our old 2005 GMC Sierra 1500HD quadrasteer has had two transmission failures in the past 6 months so thinking of upgrading before we spend a great deal more on it. The two front runners are the GMC 1500 Sierra with the 6.2l V8/10 speed, and the Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with the eTorque/8 speed. We've driven both. Just want to poll everyone here that has either of these two vehicles to hear your thoughts of ownership and towing.
Thanks for any info.
I traded a 2015 F-150 SC XLT 2.7 eb for a 2019 "new" Ram Hemi. I "lemon lawed" it 10-1-2019, FCA (now Stelantis) processed the claim 12/19/2019 and I gave it back to them 1/23/2020. The Ford did just about everything better than the Ram, except contain its engine oil. I replaced it with a Nissan Titan that is more comfortable than either of my previous tv's and has been flawless. Towing with Ford: 10-12mpg. Towing with Ram 8-10mpg (E-Torque will not help) and Titan 9-12mpg. Four friends have GMs and every single one (all 2015-newer) have bowled bucket seats that do not support. Two have had engine problems at less than 50k, one lost a transmission at 37k. Three people I know lost their Ram Eco-Diesels (2016-2018) to fire (same dealer that caused Lemon Law action) under 100k miles.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:49 PM   #4440

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjag7 View Post
Thanks for any info.

Stay far away from the ram.
Weimaraner Duke