Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 973
Quote:
The only possible thing I can think of is a denial of a warranty claim if your truck damage was due to an (proven) overloaded condition.
I think that's about it.

For what it worth:
If there were laws on the books we would all be hitting the scales on the interstate and paying the fines. I can't imagine any state not wanting to cash in on this.

The RV lifestyle is still mostly personal responsibility driven. That might change at some point down the road because I am sure there are plenty of folks that want others to do what they have decided is correct and safe. And when you get enough of those you get new laws.
__________________

__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
The only possible thing I can think of is a denial of a warranty claim if your truck damage was due to an (proven) overloaded condition.
How about the insurance claim? I wonder if the insurance company would demand the weights and measures of the setup. Say for example, you're in a collision, you injure the other party, you were significantly overloaded, your insurance finds you willfully neglectful and refuses to cover anything, and you're stuck covering the injured party's costs, and your own costs.

Heaven forbid someone was killed in the accident, then you could have a civil case against you? I wonder if there are any cases out there like that? Seems like it could happen... More likely to be against a commercial operator as that's where the big money probably is.

My dad rents commercial trucks and has to address weight tickets all the time as part of his job. 9 times out of 10 (or more), the operator of the rented commercial truck didn't understand the weight specifications and were in fact overloaded and ticketed. I've never heard of a personal vehicle being weighed, but the "weight police" (troopers who enforce commercial vehicle weights) carry portable scales in the back of their Tahoes. They will weigh a commercial rig right there on the side of the road. Again, never seen or heard of it for non-commercial haulers (RVs & such).
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
How about the insurance claim? I wonder if the insurance company would demand the weights and measures of the setup. Say for example, you're in a collision, you injure the other party, you were significantly overloaded, your insurance finds you willfully neglectful and refuses to cover anything, and you're stuck covering the injured party's costs, and your own costs.

Heaven forbid someone was killed in the accident, then you could have a civil case against you? I wonder if there are any cases out there like that? Seems like it could happen... More likely to be against a commercial operator as that's where the big money probably is.

My dad rents commercial trucks and has to address weight tickets all the time as part of his job. 9 times out of 10 (or more), the operator of the rented commercial truck didn't understand the weight specifications and were in fact overloaded and ticketed. I've never heard of a personal vehicle being weighed, but the "weight police" (troopers who enforce commercial vehicle weights) carry portable scales in the back of their Tahoes. They will weigh a commercial rig right there on the side of the road. Again, never seen or heard of it for non-commercial haulers (RVs & such).
True enough in commercial, no argument there at all.
However, there is not a single case to be found anywhere that I can find that involves a light duty truck that deals with these numbers, and I have asked this question on several web sites.

My issue is the way this stuff gets discussed as though it's a legal thing. It's not.
But we should stress the responsibility and safety issues and common sense.

People are leaving Grandma at home and putting the cat in a kennel because of a CAT scale and a marketing sticker. That's foolishness IMHO.

Just don't do stupid stuff, that's what the sticker should say. IMHO
__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #64
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
The only possible thing I can think of is a denial of a warranty claim if your truck damage was due to an (proven) overloaded condition.

*****
As an aside, the ONLY difference between my 2010 ram 2500 and a 2010 ram 3500 SRW is the rear spring pack.

The frames, axles, brakes, engine, transmission are all the same.

The 2500 has a max payload of 2270#. The tow rating maxs out at 12,500 with a diesel, auto trans, and a 3.73 rear end.

With only a change in the rear spring pack, the 3500 has a max payload of 2990#. The tow rating with the same 3.73 rear end is 13,750#

I would get an extra 720# of payload and an extra 1250# of tow capacity - with just a change in spring pack.

But if I swapped out the springs myself, a RV dealership would still only recognize my 12,500 tow capacity - as that is what is listed on the build sheet for my truck.

**************
Tim
I'm in the same boat on the other side of the equation, I have a 1500 Mega Cab, built completely on the heavy truck (2500, 3500) chassis with the only difference being a lighter rear spring pack (3 springs vs 4 in the 2500). My door sticker says max payload is 2328 lbs.

Ross..
__________________
2006 Ram Mega Cab
2011 Octane T26Y
RoscoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 973
The Weight Game: Understanding Pickup Classes--And Where They Came From - PickupTrucks.com News

Good read on the history of pickups. Notice the comment on the lack of engineering or regulatory body with respect to payload claims.
Also notice that the first of the "tons" trucks were 20 to 40 horse power. And this was back when truck sales were based upon replacing real horses in the military.

Not that many years ago people pulled campers, horse trailers and race car trailers with trucks and cars that were no where near the sticker weights we have in todays trucks. There was no internet, and we lived though it.....amazing luck I am sure.
__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #66
ADK
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
The F350 can be ordered with the 10,000 GVW. That would put it near the F250 diesel in payload.

FWIW, I read an article on Pickuptrucks.com about a 2013 I(IRC) F250 6.7 King Ranch that had a 1972lb payload. A 10,000lb GVW F350 would be about the same.

^ this is a key point. the 10,000 GVW is an option on the F350's. Same truck either way, but capped legal rating. I believe this helps out to avoid commercial use requirements.

I do not have this cap option and GVW is 11,500. Cat scale weighing with just me is about 8,000. Giving me about 3,500 lbs payload.
__________________
Scott
Upstate NY

2014 264BH
2006 F350 6.0 CCLB SRW
1999 Lance Lite 915 - Sold
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 201
2799! This is about 1000 lbs more than my F150 which was around 1700 lbs. When I look at how the F250 is built vs the F150 I am surprised that the F250 isn't rated higher. Everything is significantly bigger and stronger. I would guess if I towed at the max of my F250 ratings every day for 10 years the F250 would take it as it is more of a work truck and is designed to take that kind of usage. I wonder if the F150 would do the same under similar conditions. Don't get me wrong, I loved my F150, but the 2 units are so vastly different in construction. Soooo much more steel in the F250!
__________________
Tim

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post
2799! This is about 1000 lbs more than my F150 which was around 1700 lbs. When I look at how the F250 is built vs the F150 I am surprised that the F250 isn't rated higher. Everything is significantly bigger and stronger. I would guess if I towed at the max of my F250 ratings every day for 10 years the F250 would take it as it is more of a work truck and is designed to take that kind of usage. I wonder if the F150 would do the same under similar conditions. Don't get me wrong, I loved my F150, but the 2 units are so vastly different in construction. Soooo much more steel in the F250!
I agree. Big big difference. My 2013 ram 1500 weighed 6180 with me in it and full tank. My 2014 ram 3500 weighs 8700 with me in it and full tank. The cummins adds a lot of weight but almost a ton more steel on the hd truck. And it makes a big big difference
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #69
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Roxbury Twp
Posts: 78
2012 Ram 2500 SLT 5.7 crew cab 6'4" bed. Payload is 2,398lbs.
__________________
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2015 Jay Feather SLX 26BHSW
njdanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Home
Posts: 101
Mine is 27??, just looked today and forget.
__________________

__________________
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie, MegaCab, 6.4 Hemi with 4.10
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.