Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #1

What to look for in a used TV

So. I've begun my search for a TV, no TT as yet, but will likely be along the line of the 34RKDS or similar. And based on the price range I want to pay for a TV, I'm looking at years 2005-2011.

Background, I'm still full-time employed and will be traveling with my bride only a few times a year with maybe a couple of week long trips added to the mix until we get closer to retirement.

The assistance I'm looking for is what details I should focus on in the adverts, or specs that are indicative of a suitable TV; such as, aux transmission cooler, etc, as the advert may not specifically state that it was equipped with the 'tow package.'

Thanks for your help. There are a lot of trucks out there and I'd like to narrow my search to suitably equipped tow vehicles.

-John

javankrona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

At nearly 8000 lbs dry, that TT needs a 2500/250 minimum. Most 2500/250s and up already have tow packages that include a trans cooler as a standard feature, not as an option like most half tons. I'm a GM guy and if I'd buy another TV, it would be a newer one with the 6 speed transmissions. If I had the money, it would be a diesel for those long, steep grades but a gasser does well for where I live and the trips we have taken. I'd also look at a 3500...if I decided to buy a bigger TT 2 years down the road, I'd already have the TV to handle it.

Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Be extra careful on a truck more than 3 years old. Do you have a mechanic you can trust? Somebody that will give you an objective opinion on the new-to-you vehicle before you buy it?

Since you don't own a tow or trailer yet, have you considered buying a motor home and towing a small car or SUV for the local trips?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

I'll second what IraqVet said, you need to be looking at 2500/250 series trucks.

Here's a question, have you ever owned a trailer before? The reason I ask is that I've seen too many folks get into a trailer/truck or a motor home, find out it's really not their cup of tea, and end up taking a bath on it.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

My experience says stay away from what the ads say! Focus on payload, not "towing capacity".

I bought a Ram 1500 with the 3.92 gears because it could pull 10k lbs, but when I put the family in it, I can't have a tongue weight greater than 750 lbs or I exceed the GVWR of the truck.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #6

Update: I should have stated originally that I have ruled out any 1/2-ton models. I was hoping to make a new Ford F-150 ecobeast the one, but research has ruled this out. That's why I'm going with a used, older model 3/4 to 1-ton TV. I haven't ruled out diesel as a used unit is affordable, what I don't know acceptable mileage on a used diesel.

Again, thanks. I have read some posts that seem to be warning me away from this venture, but this is what my bride and I plan to do. I'm an old tent camper, she grew up in a coleman pop up. We plan to travel, park in a campground and visit the surrounding area at our leisure.

Cheers
Old 07-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by javankrona View Post

Again, thanks. I have read some posts that seem to be warning me away from this venture, but this is what my bride and I plan to do. I'm an old tent camper, she grew up in a coleman pop up. We plan to travel, park in a campground and visit the surrounding area at our leisure.

Cheers
Great! You're experienced then and you'll love every minute of the RV lifestyle.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Site Team

My 06 PSD just turned 100,000 and it runs better than when new.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by javankrona View Post
Update: I should have stated originally that I have ruled out any 1/2-ton models. I was hoping to make a new Ford F-150 ecobeast the one, but research has ruled this out. That's why I'm going with a used, older model 3/4 to 1-ton TV. I haven't ruled out diesel as a used unit is affordable, what I don't know acceptable mileage on a used diesel.

Cheers
I think you guys are thinking Too Big. If you are both used to pop-up or tent camping a 20' travel trailer will be plenty adequate.

We run a 1/4 ton class TV and 23' trailer for the 2 of us. The only reason we went that big was because I HAVE to have my oven.

----

A Diesel engine will last 2.5-3 times the number of miles of a gas engine. But, the transmission and bodywork are still the same. Plus (do the research) some Diesel engine models were more trouble-prone than others.

------------

From re-reading your last post, a class-C motor home with a 5-6 liter Diesel and using a car you already own as a dingy, could be a nice path.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #10

Nope. We're both well into our fifties and are pretty well done with canvas ... Now luxury camping ... That's the ticket ... Stick me in fort wilderness resort for a month.