Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #1

What to look for in a used TV

So. I've begun my search for a TV, no TT as yet, but will likely be along the line of the 34RKDS or similar. And based on the price range I want to pay for a TV, I'm looking at years 2005-2011.

Background, I'm still full-time employed and will be traveling with my bride only a few times a year with maybe a couple of week long trips added to the mix until we get closer to retirement.

The assistance I'm looking for is what details I should focus on in the adverts, or specs that are indicative of a suitable TV; such as, aux transmission cooler, etc, as the advert may not specifically state that it was equipped with the 'tow package.'

Thanks for your help. There are a lot of trucks out there and I'd like to narrow my search to suitably equipped tow vehicles.

-John
javankrona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

At nearly 8000 lbs dry, that TT needs a 2500/250 minimum. Most 2500/250s and up already have tow packages that include a trans cooler as a standard feature, not as an option like most half tons. I'm a GM guy and if I'd buy another TV, it would be a newer one with the 6 speed transmissions. If I had the money, it would be a diesel for those long, steep grades but a gasser does well for where I live and the trips we have taken. I'd also look at a 3500...if I decided to buy a bigger TT 2 years down the road, I'd already have the TV to handle it.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #3

Be extra careful on a truck more than 3 years old. Do you have a mechanic you can trust? Somebody that will give you an objective opinion on the new-to-you vehicle before you buy it?

Since you don't own a tow or trailer yet, have you considered buying a motor home and towing a small car or SUV for the local trips?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

I'll second what IraqVet said, you need to be looking at 2500/250 series trucks.

Here's a question, have you ever owned a trailer before? The reason I ask is that I've seen too many folks get into a trailer/truck or a motor home, find out it's really not their cup of tea, and end up taking a bath on it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #5

My experience says stay away from what the ads say! Focus on payload, not "towing capacity".

I bought a Ram 1500 with the 3.92 gears because it could pull 10k lbs, but when I put the family in it, I can't have a tongue weight greater than 750 lbs or I exceed the GVWR of the truck.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

Update: I should have stated originally that I have ruled out any 1/2-ton models. I was hoping to make a new Ford F-150 ecobeast the one, but research has ruled this out. That's why I'm going with a used, older model 3/4 to 1-ton TV. I haven't ruled out diesel as a used unit is affordable, what I don't know acceptable mileage on a used diesel.

Again, thanks. I have read some posts that seem to be warning me away from this venture, but this is what my bride and I plan to do. I'm an old tent camper, she grew up in a coleman pop up. We plan to travel, park in a campground and visit the surrounding area at our leisure.

Cheers
Old 07-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by javankrona View Post

Again, thanks. I have read some posts that seem to be warning me away from this venture, but this is what my bride and I plan to do. I'm an old tent camper, she grew up in a coleman pop up. We plan to travel, park in a campground and visit the surrounding area at our leisure.

Cheers
Great! You're experienced then and you'll love every minute of the RV lifestyle.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Site Team

My 06 PSD just turned 100,000 and it runs better than when new.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Update: I should have stated originally that I have ruled out any 1/2-ton models. I was hoping to make a new Ford F-150 ecobeast the one, but research has ruled this out. That's why I'm going with a used, older model 3/4 to 1-ton TV. I haven't ruled out diesel as a used unit is affordable, what I don't know acceptable mileage on a used diesel.

Cheers
I think you guys are thinking Too Big. If you are both used to pop-up or tent camping a 20' travel trailer will be plenty adequate.

We run a 1/4 ton class TV and 23' trailer for the 2 of us. The only reason we went that big was because I HAVE to have my oven.

----

A Diesel engine will last 2.5-3 times the number of miles of a gas engine. But, the transmission and bodywork are still the same. Plus (do the research) some Diesel engine models were more trouble-prone than others.

------------

From re-reading your last post, a class-C motor home with a 5-6 liter Diesel and using a car you already own as a dingy, could be a nice path.

And proud of it!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #10

Nope. We're both well into our fifties and are pretty well done with canvas ... Now luxury camping ... That's the ticket ... Stick me in fort wilderness resort for a month.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Nope. We're both well into our fifties and are pretty well done with canvas ... Now luxury camping ... That's the ticket ... Stick me in fort wilderness resort for a month.
I'm 54 & she's [we don't discuss it] and are both through with canvas [ok, rip-stop nylon] too!

We were pretty happy with an 18 footer. That (after a bit of work) had 100% of the amenities we wanted.

The new trailer (23') has a queen-sized bed, plenty of room to sit and watch the television.

The fridge holds more than enough food for two weeks! The tanks are good for 5 days. The only downside to the 19RD (and all such owners will agree) is countertop space is a bit limited.

I had looked at a 28' (can't remember the model) that had a similar floor plan. Those 5' added a wall with a pocket door to the bedroom. Moved the entrance door to the back, added lots of cabinets, plenty of kitchen counter space and a much more airy feel to the dining area. According to the salesman, that trailer could have been pulled by our 1/4-ton.

I say, start serious shopping now. We looked at several kinds of RV's a year before I was ready to buy.

Consider your process an attempt at a balance. With a truck and TT, you will have budgeted a certain amount. A used truck is clearly cheaper than new. Generally smaller trucks are less costly than bigger ones. Then you have to consider parking your truck at the local attraction, market, theater, etc.

How much trailer do you need? Will you be hauling grandkids from time to time? Or is it just you two?

How handy are you? Can you fix (or at least get it closed) a balky slide out? Will you be able to change a flat tire yourself?

What about electrical or plumbing annoyances? Will those ruin a trip or are you a duct tape ninja?

Welcome to the Wonderful World of RV's. Its fun as all-get-out! But be prepared for the bumps in the road!

Keep shopping, keep thinking, compare notes with your other half. You will find a combination that is right for you.

And proud of it!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #12

We have been looking and shopping for two years. Unfortunately, I'm an engineer, so I have been reading and studying up for about as long. We were originally sold on Heartland but watching their owners board for two years, I'm not happy with the amount of complaints. My bride's career had her working with people if all walks including a handful of RV techs whose experiences have been picked. So, here we are at jayco. We will eventually move to s 5th wheel, but not for at least 5-years. We have a trip planned to Hershey this September for the RV show. We have been to quite a number of shows already, but the most satisfying was a trip to a close by Jayco dealer. I have to tell you, I'm in love with the patio door option on the front kitchen 34FKDS. I suspect we will have visitors, the grands will stay in a tent outside ... That's my plan. And we will use the TT to visit our kids and grands who are already being disbursed around the country.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #13

The only cheap late model used trucks had salvage titles. The other used ones I found were either very used, or had really high miles. Because of incentives and financing options, I went for a new truck.

I also agree, you need a 2500/250 truck.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #14

I read somewhere that buying used 3 years old is the magic number. Hits the initial max depriaciation so you are looking at usually half price from new and it a lot of cases still have a couple years left of factory power train warranty. if your going 3/4 ton half to go diesel imo.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #15

After 30 satisfied years with a gasser + tent-trailer, we graduated to a diesel + 25' travel trailer ~ a perfect transition we'd do again!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #16

I bought my diesel ~5 years used with 95k miles. I have had it for 3 years and been very happy. I did have to replace the Body Control Module (BCM) last fall. The repair cost $700. I paid mid-$20s opposed to mid-$50s for new. For that savings I'm ok with a repair now and the.

The Allison transmission on my duramax has been excellent and I expect to get as many miles from it as I do the engine.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Yeah man, that's the ticket!
I'm less that a year from "graduation" and we upgraded to a 5th about a year ago. The TV upgrade hadda come first. I knew the target weight I was aiming for and chose the F350. Mt first pickup and first diesel. The 5.4 Expe gasser gave us mpg in the 9's pulling maybe 4500#, the 350 piuls about 12700# and returns solid 12's. With no load I get 21 on the highway.
So, my opinion (that and $3 gets you a coffee at Starbuck) for a DD it's not too bad and for a TV it's awseome. I'm a Blue Oval guy from day one but in general a diesel is the thing for a heavy TT and I would expect 150-200k mi from a "Big3" brand with a few minor repairs along the way. Periodic PM is an absolute must!
IMHO, there are many people that just expect their vehicles to just "work", hop in, turn the key, fill the tanks.... And go. Your car, RV, boat, airplane.....(toy) NEEDS regular maintenance. Give it and it will return reasonable dependability, fail to maintain and it will leave you on a dirt road, empty beach, corn field....
Sorry, couple of glasses of wine and I hadda pontificate.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote