Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #11

Not real familiar with the Toyotas, but with the correct motor and gearing, if the truck has enough payload then it should do the job just fine.

Any of the 1500/150 trucks with the proper equipment will have more than enough "power" to tow the trailer, but as we have mentioned, look in the drivers door for the available for that actual truck's payload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
There will be a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb stating "All passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". The weight of all the passengers, cargo in the tv (coolers, firewood, etc), any accessories added to the tv, the wdh (weight distribution hitch), and the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) should not exceed the stated payload.
From my earlier reply, all the above counts toward the stated yellow sticker payload. How much is the passenger weight? How much cargo do you plan to carry in the truck bed? Will you add any accessories: truck topper/ cap, step bars, etc, that will subtract from the payload?

So pending the above estimated passenger/cargo weight of the truck, plus the tw of ~850lbs (estimate ~13% of a 6500lb loaded tt), will it be less than the yellow sticker amount of the truck you are looking at?

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #12

I love my tundra, cant go wrong with that 5.7, plus it has 4.30 gear ratio so its made for pulling, dosent get the best gas mileage, plus its made(75%) and built here (Texas). Only 2 trucks can say that.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keperone View Post
I have always been a Toyota person. I am considering a new Tacoma with a tow package and 2-wheel drive. Any opinions?

Go for it. And let us know how it does..,
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by keperone View Post
I have always been a Toyota person. I am considering a new Tacoma with a tow package and 2-wheel drive. Any opinions?
Any of the Tundra's with the tow package is more than enough for the trailer you listed. I fell in love with the Platinum Tundra when I was looking to buy a new Toyota pickup but, the Tacoma made more sense for my lifestyle. Never once have I been disappointed with any of my Toyota purchases especially when it comes to selling them!

Good luck and please share pics of your new pickup with your trailer!

Edit, just realized you said Tacoma, still have not had all my coffee this morning... I think the only numbers you will need to be aware of and double check will be the GVWR of the pickup. I tow the x17z with my Tacoma and it pulls it beautifully with no problems at all.

Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote