Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

What tow vehicle?

Hopefully I am on the correct thread. You guys seem to know what you are talking about. I just bought a Jayco WhiteHawk 24rdb. It is a beautiful "tiny house" until I build my home. I currently own a Toyota Prius which, obviously, can't pull an RV. What vehicle should I get to pull my Jayco? I am retired and want to do some traveling in Colorado so I need good towing capacity. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
keperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #2

Keperone,

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

You will probably get better replies if you start a new thread, either in the travel trailer section or tow vehicle section.

Mods: could you possibly move keperone's post and my reply to a new thread please? TY!!!

Without knowing the trailer specs, even being the "brochure" dry weights, or how youngish pack (trailer and truck) it is hard to say. The dry tw (tongue/hitch weight) does not include the propane tanks or battery weight on the tongue. Add ~120lbs for 2-20lb tanks and a battery, ~160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery to the tw. A lot of people suggest using about 13% or the trailers gvwr to estimate the loaded tw to properly choose a tv (tow vehicle). There will be a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb stating "All passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". The weight of all the passengers, cargo in the tv (coolers, firewood, etc), any accessories added to the tv, the wdh (weight distribution hitch), and the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) should not exceed the stated payload.

Get a good wdh with integrated sway control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money!

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. As requested, I moved this to a new thread for better response.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #4

6750 is what the GVWR is listed as (the max it should ever weigh, totally loaded).

Many if not all full size 1/2 ton pickups and such can tow it safely. Many of the bigger SUV's can as well and full size vans.

If you are going to be boon-docking (camping at areas without services) then you may need to carry a generator, water, and sewage, making a pickup a must (although I do that stuff and I don't have a pickup).
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #5

F150 eco boost should do the job. There is a max tow version but it is hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Welcome to JOF. As requested, I moved this to a new thread for better response.
TY Norty!!!

Now Keperone will be wondering where his post went!!! Lol

A 6750lb gvwr, as long as you don't load the bed full with a generator and a load of firewood, a properly equipped 1500/ 150 will probably be sufficient. Just make sure you get the best axle ratio for towing if possible. GM: at least the 3.42, or the 3.73's if you can, Ram: 3.92's I think they are, Ford: 3.73??? Not sure.... hopefully others will chime in on the Ford gears.

And every truck that may be "the one" open the drivers door and look for the payload sticker. Anything less than 1500lbs I would say scratch it. No more the better!!!

Good luck!!

Old 04-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keperone View Post
Hopefully I am on the correct thread. You guys seem to know what you are talking about. I just bought a Jayco WhiteHawk 24rdb. It is a beautiful "tiny house" until I build my home. I currently own a Toyota Prius which, obviously, can't pull an RV. What vehicle should I get to pull my Jayco? I am retired and want to do some traveling in Colorado so I need good towing capacity. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Site Team

I pm'd him earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

When looking for TV's, payload will be your primary concern as most 150/1500 trucks run out of payload long before they reach their advertised maximum towing capacity. I would also strongly recommend getting a tow package (not just a brake controller) on the vehicle. These often come with upgraded transmission coolers which will reduce the heat in your transmission while towing as well as built in stability aids which will increase stability while towing in windy conditions and rough roads. Do not assume the advertised towing capability in the brochure is the same as the truck you are buying as the small print will state that these advertised maximums require special equipment or tow packages. Finally, do not trust the assurances of the TV or TT salesmen that X vehicle will suit your needs as their goal is to get you off the lot with a purchase regardless of whether it is the right vehicle for your situation.

We really like our V8 5.4 F150 but if I was towing in the mountains a lot, I would go with the V6 turbo Ecoboost as the turbo will provide more power at elevation. I would make sure it had the Max Tow package and price out a Heavy Duty payload package to see what it would cost to have the future expandability of a larger trailer in future if that is a possibility. I am unfamiliar with the new turbo diesels in the Chev and Nissan, but I would give those a look if I was shopping for TV right now. With the Ram Eco-Diesel, some have been disappointed with the available payload.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #10

I have always been a Toyota person. I am considering a new Tacoma with a tow package and 2-wheel drive. Any opinions?
keperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #11

Not real familiar with the Toyotas, but with the correct motor and gearing, if the truck has enough payload then it should do the job just fine.

Any of the 1500/150 trucks with the proper equipment will have more than enough "power" to tow the trailer, but as we have mentioned, look in the drivers door for the available for that actual truck's payload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
There will be a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb stating "All passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". The weight of all the passengers, cargo in the tv (coolers, firewood, etc), any accessories added to the tv, the wdh (weight distribution hitch), and the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) should not exceed the stated payload.
From my earlier reply, all the above counts toward the stated yellow sticker payload. How much is the passenger weight? How much cargo do you plan to carry in the truck bed? Will you add any accessories: truck topper/ cap, step bars, etc, that will subtract from the payload?

So pending the above estimated passenger/cargo weight of the truck, plus the tw of ~850lbs (estimate ~13% of a 6500lb loaded tt), will it be less than the yellow sticker amount of the truck you are looking at?

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #12

I love my tundra, cant go wrong with that 5.7, plus it has 4.30 gear ratio so its made for pulling, dosent get the best gas mileage, plus its made(75%) and built here (Texas). Only 2 trucks can say that.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
I have always been a Toyota person. I am considering a new Tacoma with a tow package and 2-wheel drive. Any opinions?

Go for it. And let us know how it does..,
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Any of the Tundra's with the tow package is more than enough for the trailer you listed. I fell in love with the Platinum Tundra when I was looking to buy a new Toyota pickup but, the Tacoma made more sense for my lifestyle. Never once have I been disappointed with any of my Toyota purchases especially when it comes to selling them!

Good luck and please share pics of your new pickup with your trailer!

Edit, just realized you said Tacoma, still have not had all my coffee this morning... I think the only numbers you will need to be aware of and double check will be the GVWR of the pickup. I tow the x17z with my Tacoma and it pulls it beautifully with no problems at all.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote