Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

RAS won't work for coils. Sorry, I thought those had leaves in the rear.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I've installed air bags on past trucks and they made for a great ride when loaded down. If you do air bags get the on board compressor, it's well worth the extra money. I had Air Lift brand bags. The technology has changed a lot since I had them so I can't make any recommendations.

If you have concerns about "settling" suspension I'd be looking at replacing the factory springs before adding any helper springs then go from there.
I have been looking at airbags as well, but I was just going to get a set with the airlines to the back bumper as I already carry a Sears 19.2v portable air compressor with rechargeable batteries for topping up tires on the TT and TV. Given that the airbags max out at 100 psi and have a relatively small volume of air I would think it would work fine. Trailer weight won't vary much from trip to trip and once I figure out the correct pressure, it would be relatively simple to inflate them to that psi each time. Based on experience of those that have used airbags, is there something I am missing that would make the on-board worth the extra money, i.e. do you have modify pressure in transit with temperature changes or do the bags have slow leaks sometimes ?

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #13

I was thinking of going airbags as well to in general smooth out the ride, and for those rare occasions where I'm taking a short trip and don't want to bother with the weight distribution hitch. I never thought of the airline setup you're describing, what a great idea.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Based on experience of those that have used airbags, is there something I am missing that would make the on-board worth the extra money, i.e. do you have modify pressure in transit with temperature changes or do the bags have slow leaks sometimes ?
Nope, you already carry a small compressor. Most of us don't. Which is why I recommend the onboard one.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #15

I have air bags now- In the old days, I added an overload spring- The advantage of airbags is the ability to pump them up for towing and reducing the air pressure when not towing for an easier ride- JMHO- DD
Old 03-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #16

Went with the Timbrens... After reviewing some of the reviews on the air bags, I decided I would deal with a bit of a harsh ride when not towing, vs worrying about leaks pinching a bag (as they go inside of the coil springs on the Tahoe's). Placed the order today from etrailer.com. Seems like the best deal I could find and had free shipping...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:42 PM   #17

I have air bags and they have been trouble free. I really like the adjustability. When towing our Jayco which has a rather heavy hitch weight I simply add more air. If the quad is in the truck I add a few more pounds of air. If I am towing the small summer trailer I air down to 5psi.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #18

I am in the same situation of just purchasing a new trailer and not wanting to get a new truck. I talked with the local 4x4 shops in town and they all recommended airbags because of the ride when unloaded. We are taking our camper out this weekend (2nd trip) and then I plan to get them installed when I get back. Now to decide whether to get the on board compressor or not.
KD0JCJ
troutboy365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #19

Troutboy, really interested to hear about ease of installation and your impressions towing after installation as I am also towing with an F150. I carry a portable air compressor from Sears (uses the same 19.2v batteries as my cordless drill and a dustbuster vacuum) for blowing up tires on TV, TT and bikes which should work on the air lines to the back bumper. Having a compressor on-board with a control in the cab would definitely be more convenient, but it comes at a price. Interested to hear your final decision.

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
I have been looking at airbags as well, but I was just going to get a set with the airlines to the back bumper as I already carry a Sears 19.2v portable air compressor with rechargeable batteries for topping up tires on the TT and TV. Given that the airbags max out at 100 psi and have a relatively small volume of air I would think it would work fine. Trailer weight won't vary much from trip to trip and once I figure out the correct pressure, it would be relatively simple to inflate them to that psi each time. Based on experience of those that have used airbags, is there something I am missing that would make the on-board worth the extra money, i.e. do you have modify pressure in transit with temperature changes or do the bags have slow leaks sometimes ?
I used airbags (Firestone) on my other truck for several years and never had a leak. I pulled a 33' 5'er and only ran about 25-30psi in them. That set the truck fairly level, took out the bounce and made for a pleasent ride. The only real reason to do the onboard compressor is for convenience. Once I knew a good psi, that's what it was set to and never needed to change it. I will be installing them on my new truck shortly. They do make a difference...
You can always adjust at your first couple of fuel stops to get what you want, after that you got it.

EDIT: I had the onboard compressor last time, but probably won't do it this time.

Hope this info helps

TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote