Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2020, 04:58 AM   #1

White Hawk Towing

Hey guys. Our new white hawk 31Bh was delivered yesterday. The guy that delivered it had a 3500 dually with no WDH . I know the truck he has is way more than capable and he says he typically doesn't use WDH on any deliveries but said it was the first time pulling a white hawk and it pulled better than any other trailer he has ever pulled

Just wanted some input from other white hawk owners.

I'll be setting up my equalizer 4 point 14,000 lbs this weekend and will try a test pull. I'm pulling with a 2018 f150 3.5 Ecoboost with 1670 lbs of payload so I know I'm within the limits.

Really just interested in others experience towing these trailers

Thanks!

wraenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #2

We purchased a new White Hawk 32KBS this spring. I am pulling it with a 2019 F150 3.5EB. It has 1829lbs of payload capability. I am using a Equalizer 4-point WDH. The first pull home from the dealer was over 100 miles and a mixture of interstate and highway. I was very impressed with how the truck handled it trailer and how the trailer pulled. I did not have any "white knuckle" experiences as I thought I might.

I weighed my rig empty on the way home and have weighed it after loading it. I had to make some adjustments to the WDH and will re-weigh to make sure I am good.
finalcountdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #3

Thanks for the input - makes me feel better. What size Equalizer are you running. Looks like we have about 5 Lbs difference in tongue weight. I installed Air Lift 2000 and the wireless compressor kit just to get rid of any sag if i have it.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #4

I am running the 1,200/12,000 lb hitch. I had air bags in my mental list but I don't think I need them. After getting the WDH setup correctly, the truck sets level.

Someone on this forum suggested getting a set of these for quieting the hitch:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I pulled once without them and twice since. They make a difference.

I also am using this grease on my hitch:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #5

Thanks again - I think i already have the pads somewhere and the grease ill definitely order!

Would love to see a pic of your hitch setup since our TV and TT's are so similar if you have one
Old 06-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

wraenking,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraenking View Post
snip...... I'll be setting up my equalizer 4 point 14,000 lbs this weekend and will try a test pull. I'm pulling with a 2018 f150 3.5 Ecoboost with 1670 lbs of payload so I know I'm within the limits.
Your 31BH has a GVWR of 9,500lbs....., under 'worst case' loaded TT weight conditions (9,500lbs) the recommended loaded tongue weight range would be 1,235lbs to 1,425lbs (13% to 15% of gross)....., your 1,400/14,000lb Equal-i-zer is a good choice. This WDH rating on the 31BH will work fine with your lighter typical 'loaded' weights when adjusted properly.

If you get the opportunity......, once you have your TV/TT combo under typical 'loaded' conditions (ready camp), a visit to a CAT scale will confirm all your weights and WDH adjustment. If you normally tow with water in your fresh water tank, add water prior to the CAT visit.

CAT Scale: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Enjoy the new TT!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #7

As you can see in my signature, I'm pulling a 30RDB. My tow vehicle is a Titan 1/2 ton with the complete tow package and basic Reese set up with torsion W/D and the friction plate anti-sway. I believe the tracking of this trailer is impacted greatly (in the positive!) due to the wider front to back axle spacing from other dual axle trailers I've pulled.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the welcome and thanks to both of you for the additional info. Feel a bit better about towing it. I have towed all my life but this will be the biggest by far.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraenking View Post
Thanks again - I think i already have the pads somewhere and the grease ill definitely order!

Would love to see a pic of your hitch setup since our TV and TT's are so similar if you have one
I don't have picture of my hitch setup but I will try to remember to take one the next time that I tow in a few days.