Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

Whitehawk, truck and WDH...

Sadly, have to say goodbye to the fifth in my sig. Availability and cost considerations mean it can't be replaced. So now I'm entering the world of Travel Trailers, which has it's own considerations.

Very close to pulling the trigger on a Whitehawk 27DSRL (685 dry hitch weight).

Will be pulling it with an F-150, EB, HD Payload, Max Tow. Ford says max. tongue is 1,130

I would hope to be able to upgrade the batteries to 2 6v. Dealer is suggesting a Lippert front bike rack for the two bikes with a combined weight of 80 lbs.

We're pretty light packers, and the truck will have about 1,000 lb of payload for passengers and stuff left over, if I max the hitch.

So, any guess on how close to max I might be getting?

Dealer is recommending an Equalizer hitch. Any concerns if I go with the 1200 lb version vs the 1000 lb version? Any other WDH I should consider instead?
Old 01-31-2017, 05:50 PM   #2

We bought a 2017 27DSRL this past fall. Coupled it with a 2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost max tow 4x4. The dealer provided a Reese 1200lb WDH. The TT max is 7500 lbs. We currently have it loaded to just under 7000 lbs. We measured the tongue weight and it was at 1000 lbs. that includes 1 battery and 2, 30 lb propane tanks. With the tongue weight and the 2 of us, we were close to the max weight for the truck without "stuff" in the bed of the truck. We made the decision to upgrade to a 3/4 ton to be able to carry extra stuff without continuous calculations. Being a test pilot I'm anal about weights, loads and distributions. That said, there are lots of folks that are quite successfull with that combination. We were for a while and happy but needed the extra capacity.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

I vote for the Equalizer brand 4 point hitch. We have one and it is easy to use. It works as advertised too. I would think the 10k bars would be sufficient for that trailer. I can't help you much on the weights other than to suggest going to a Cat scale to see where you are at with the truck fueled and loaded up.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert RVers View Post
I vote for the Equalizer brand 4 point hitch. We have one and it is easy to use. It works as advertised too. I would think the 10k bars would be sufficient for that trailer. I can't help you much on the weights other than to suggest going to a Cat scale to see where you are at with the truck fueled and loaded up.
I agree with the Equilizer. Most everyone I know has it and loves it. Will probably trade mine in for one before we start serious camping.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
We bought a 2017 27DSRL this past fall. Coupled it with a 2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost max tow 4x4. The dealer provided a Reese 1200lb WDH. The TT max is 7500 lbs. We currently have it loaded to just under 7000 lbs. We measured the tongue weight and it was at 1000 lbs. that includes 1 battery and 2, 30 lb propane tanks. With the tongue weight and the 2 of us, we were close to the max weight for the truck without "stuff" in the bed of the truck. We made the decision to upgrade to a 3/4 ton to be able to carry extra stuff without continuous calculations. Being a test pilot I'm anal about weights, loads and distributions. That said, there are lots of folks that are quite successfull with that combination. We were for a while and happy but needed the extra capacity.
With the HD Payload package, the sticker on the truck door says I have a payload capacity of 2,160. Worked great for the old fifth, although with everything, I was right at the line (but not over). Interesting that the tongue weight max. is comparatively low. Your 1K tongue bothers me - that's getting close to max!
Throw on an extra battery and the bikes and......
Old 01-31-2017, 06:43 PM   #6

I'd check out the Blue Ox hitch because the trailer you're buying has an under slung coupler, instead of a top mounted coupler. I'm about to order the BXW1503 hitch because the one I currently have isn't designed for the type of coupler we have.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #7

We have the 2017 27DSRL as well and ran into the same issue. Initially we had an F150 Eco 4x4 ,max tow pkg, long bed. The problem was payload capacity of 1477 , couldn't carry anything in the bed without overloading. Must of had to many options. It pulled fine but I was stressing about it every time we went out. Solved that problem by replacing with an F350 diesel with the thought in mind of a larger TT in the future. Currently have the Equalizer brand 10,000 lb hitch. Totally satisfied with the combination.
Max Tow Pkg. 6.7 diesel

jagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

[QUOTE=Flapper;486277]

I would hope to be able to upgrade the batteries to 2 6v. Dealer is suggesting a Lippert front bike rack for the two bikes with a combined weight of 80 lbs.
QUOTE]

We have looked at a number of options for carrying bikes as well. We are currently using the Jayco factory "Bike Tray" which really does not work that well for bikes. They are secure enough, but it takes too much time to secure cut up pool noodles to stop rubbing and then multiple ratchet straps so they don't move around during travel.

This spring I am going to remove the tray and have a receiver hitch installed mounted to the frame to insert a bike rack into. That way if we want to go biking somewhere away from the campsite for the day, I can pull the bike rack out of the hitch on the rear of the TT and then slip it into the truck and away we go.

Would be interested in seeing pictures of the Lippert rack referred to if you end up having it installed.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 AM   #9

Here's the link to the Lippert front bike rack. Looks neat. Some others have mentioned that bugs accumulate on the bikes a lot. Jack-It Double Bike Carrier

I had a receiver and swagman rack on the rear of the fifth. Because of the bumper and shape of the rear wall, I had to put a pretty long receiver extension on, so the bikes didn't contact anything if they jiggled about. Looks to be the same kind of issue with the Whitehawk on the rear, plus I'd have to figure out something to do with the spare tire, as that may get in the way.

Between the 117 lb Equalizer, and the ~85lbs of bikes and front rack, and a second battery, I'm really limiting the amount of stuff I can load into the trailer, before I exceed the truck's receiver rating. I'd also start to edge past 15% tongue weight, slightly.

So stay tuned for another post asking about lighter WDH's...and I'll continue to play with the numbers to estimate whether adding rear receiver and rack will take enough off the tongue to get me more payload in the trailer....
Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #10

I was in the same situation. I have dual 6V on the tongue and twin 30lb propane tanks. My published dry tongue weight is 690lb but I'm sure I'm close to 1000lb. I wanted to bring bikes as well so they had to go on the back of the trailer. The custom welding, receiver, bikes and rack all help counteract the added tongue weight.

I have the Equalizer 10K running 7 washers.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Any concerns if I go with the 1200 lb version vs the 1000 lb version? Any other WDH I should consider instead?
I love my Equal-i-zer WDH! I was also ending up between the 1000 and 1200; I went with the 1200. I'd rather have more that not enough.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote