Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #31

Switch out your gears 68 Camaro. 3.73's will work in that rear.

Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSerendipity View Post
After reading all of the Posts, you guys almost had me rethinking my Gas vs. Diesel purchase. But the Math I used with the initial cost of the Diesel option @ $9,000, plus the price of Diesel here in Pa & NJ is over a dollar per gallon more than Regular, it just did not make sense at the present time. I remember a couple of posts about the cost of diesel averaging out at approx. 75-80,000 miles. I'm happy with the gas F250 at present but as they say, Time will tell. Heading out west in the Fall and will report back then

Thanks for all the great posts.
Your F250 gasser will be great, and a whole lot better than a 150/1500. However what you didn't include in your calculation is residual value of a diesel. When the time comes to sell, a diesel will command significantly more than a comparable gasser.

As for the cost of fuel -- I think it's about even. Gasoline being $1/gal more where you live is probably pretty close to a 30% increase; however the fuel economy in my diesel is the same 30% improvement over my previous gasser both towing and unloaded highway mileage. The gasser does win in unloaded city driving.

Fortunately for me, currently in my area of California reg unleaded and diesel are the same price. There has been as much as a .80 premium for diesel in the past cour years, but as recent as s month ago Diesel was less than reg gas.

My Duramax doesn't require DEF do I have never factored that into the calculation.

clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Your F250 gasser will be great, and a whole lot better than a 150/1500. However what you didn't include in your calculation is residual value of a diesel. When the time comes to sell, a diesel will command significantly more than a comparable gasser.

As for the cost of fuel -- I think it's about even. Gasoline being $1/gal more where you live is probably pretty close to a 30% increase; however the fuel economy in my diesel is the same 30% improvement over my previous gasser both towing and unloaded highway mileage. The gasser does win in unloaded city driving.

Fortunately for me, currently in my area of California reg unleaded and diesel are the same price. There has been as much as a .80 premium for diesel in the past cour years, but as recent as s month ago Diesel was less than reg gas.

My Duramax doesn't require DEF do I have never factored that into the calculation.
Spot on when it comes to resale value! Good call Clubhouse!
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Old 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #34

Lovin my 6.2 gasser . Pulls like a champ. Although it was sagging quite a bit so I added air bags. Still sags a little but not nearly as much and rides nice at 30psi.

edit: I forgot to mention I found this truck on a lot with 4500 miles for under 40k .
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDriver View Post

Lovin my 6.2 gasser . Pulls like a champ. Although it was sagging quite a bit so I added air bags. Still sags a little but not nearly as much and rides nice at 30psi.

You know it's funny you say that. I'm having auxillary springs added (just like factory). Should help with squatting. Ford has a TSB on the ride height issues when a trailer is connected. "Lower than desired" per TSB. The squat won't harm it..it's doing it's job. Most trucks with a heavy load will squat a little...it's a normal thing. Unless you use Timbrens or bags of some sort.
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Old 04-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
You know it's funny you say that. I'm having auxillary springs added (just like factory). Should help with squatting. Ford has a TSB on the ride height issues when a trailer is connected. "Lower than desired" per TSB. The squat won't harm it..it's doing it's job. Most trucks with a heavy load will squat a little...it's a normal thing. Unless you use Timbrens or bags of some sort.
We had a '11 F250 when we had our lite weight 5th wheel. After one trip I added air bags and it helped a lot. Ford really softened the rear suspension on the current generation trucks. We have a '14 Ram 2500 now and it doesn't squat near as bad and oddly rides better too. (Not meant to start a truck brand battle)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSerendipity View Post
After reading all of the Posts, you guys almost had me rethinking my Gas vs. Diesel purchase. But the Math I used with the initial cost of the Diesel option @ $9,000, plus the price of Diesel here in Pa & NJ is over a dollar per gallon more than Regular, it just did not make sense at the present time. I remember a couple of posts about the cost of diesel averaging out at approx. 75-80,000 miles. I'm happy with the gas F250 at present but as they say, Time will tell. Heading out west in the Fall and will report back then

Thanks for all the great posts.
Diesels owners don't spend the money because they believe it will pay for itself, they buy them for the increased power and towing ability. I don't care if I ever get my "money" back, Ive towed with both and will continue to pull with a diesel.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #38

Yeah, Ram really has their stuff together. They're really nice trucks.
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
Diesels owners don't spend the money because they believe it will pay for itself, they buy them for the increased power and towing ability. I don't care if I ever get my "money" back, Ive towed with both and will continue to pull with a diesel.
I agree... I ran the numbers and they don't sway in the diesel's favor... but after towing with a diesel and a gas.... I threw my spreadsheet away and bought the diesel.
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Drivetrain is exactly the same in the HD trucks gas or diesel unless you buy a Ram with the Aisin trans.
Not true. My $9000 Duramax Plus Package included: 1) Duramax engine, 2) Allison 1000 transmission, 3) Front & Rear Park Assist, 4) Engine Block Heater, 5) Heavy-duty dual 730 cold-cranking amps batteries, 6) Engine Exhaust Brake, plus, 7) Navigation & IntelliLink, and, 8) Bose Sound System. I know some of these aren't drive train related but they are $1500 worth of options that are included in the package.

Additionally, I believe the drive shaft on the diesel is a larger diameter but I haven't compared the 2015 GMC 2500HD gas to the 2015 GMC 2500HD diesel yet so I can't say for sure.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote