Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #1

Why No Spring Bars?

I just bought a new Toyota Highlander and took it to an aftermarket shop to have a hitch installed. When I looked at the new DrawTite hitch the other day I noticed a sticker on it that said that spring bars were not allowed.

I looked on etrailer and found four hitches available for my SUV. Only one of them, a Curt C45CR, was rated for weight distribution. When I ordered the hitch we never had a conversation about weight distribution which I may or may not need as my trailer is on the small side. I guess I just assumed that as long as the SUV could handle weight distribution the hitch would be fine with it.

Does anyone know why there is a difference? What would I happen if I put spring bars on my current hitch? I won't be able to hook up the trailer 'till spring and the possible future spring bars would be the least aggressive ones available due to the small trailer size.

Thanks, Bob
Old 01-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #2

I would never tow a 3,000 pound trailer with a car rated for 5,000 pounds max without some kind of weight distribution. Your factory tongue rating is over 400 lbs without battery and extras inside adding to the load. Most likely you will tow with to much weight taken off the front axel, a huge safety problem and lights pointing up in the air. Even if you have load leveling system you do not add weight back to the front.

Added to that you need to have sway reduction in my opinion. I would go with the Andersen WDH as it is relatively light, great for sway and will help with the weight distribution. Plus the on and off ease compared to spring bars.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #3

A friend of mine towed a Starcraft 19ck with a 2014 highlander for a few years. He got the factory hitch dealer installed and he used WDH without issue for years.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #4

As an engineering thought and not specific to the mfg of any of the hitches, the forces applied to the hitch for a wdh are much different than a non wdh. What I suspect could happen, especially with time and when\if you hit some dips in the road is that the front mounts of the hitch may not be able to handle the downward pressure that wouldn't occur with using a regular trailer hitch.

My recommendation would be to take the loss and purchase a hitch rated for using the springs as a wdh is very important in a setup like you described. I agree with RogerR's comment that I wouldn't tow your RV w/o a WDH, but I would add that I wouldn't use a WDH if there was a label on the hitch specifically stating not to do that as they obviously know that the hitch isn't rated for that or is unsafe to do so.

Also to add, I have heard nothing but great reviews for the Anderson Hitch as Roger mentioned, I would highly suggest to research and consider that hitch over others. Many years ago I towed something similar and everything matters, even how you load the RV, where you want to put all the weight you can in front of the trailer axle, while being careful not to have too much hitch weight.

Best Wishes, Craig
Old 01-20-2021, 12:47 AM   #5
Site Team

I would call DrawTite at 800-632-3290, give them the part number from your receipt, and the year, make, and model of your Toyota. Ask them the same questions, and I'll bet you get a definitive answer.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #6

Thank you all for your interest in my problem. I may go back to the guy who installed it but I can't see him taking back a special order hitch and doing all the labor to swap it out. I really wish I would have known about this.