Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #1

Worth the money....

We all may not like it, but I now have a better idea why repair labor costs are so high on our TV (and other vehicles). The past 2 days my son (soon to graduate as a diesel mechanic) and I spent 11 hours changing both front wheel bearings, left upper ball joint, left lower control arm, and the right front u-joint. NOTHING was easy to remove! We spent 3 hours alone removing the right side wheel bearing housing. I swear some of those parts were the originals.

On the positive...the truck is good to go, safe, and he saved me $800 with discount on the parts (being an UNOH student, he gets a discount) and labor costs.

And my body will recover...eventually.

"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #2

Mechanicing is not always plug and play with a computer. Some jobs are just plane nasty.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #3

Contrary to some young whippersnapper's opinions, there are still some jobs that computers won't do, and you actually have to get dirt under your fingernails. In a body shop recently, when I heard a young fella saying he just couldn't see how he was going to sand around some trim without the air sander damaging said trim, I said "what - are your hands painted on ? You don't know how to sand a body by hand ??" Sheesh. JMHO, of course.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #4

I'm patiently waiting for the day when Machine Repairmen get paid handsomely because all the children listened to the school counselor and went to college instead of serving an apprenticeship for the trades. The day is approaching when there will be very few souls around that know how to fix stuff and are experts at it.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Mechanicing is not always plug and play with a computer. Some jobs are just plane nasty.
Very true. Just getting increasingly difficult to find technicians that are more than "code readers" and parts changers..........
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I'm patiently waiting for the day when Machine Repairmen get paid handsomely because all the children listened to the school counselor and went to college instead of serving an apprenticeship for the trades. The day is approaching when there will be very few souls around that know how to fix stuff and are experts at it.
mcfarmall, I'm not being a smart-aleck, but could you enlighten me as to why you feel it is an advantage to go to college? I am glad my son went to college, but some kids are competent, just not "college material".
"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

Glad to hear you and your son could do this work. Working on modern vehicles is something I know very little about. I have said if I ever won the lottery, I would go to a trade school for automotive repair and machining.

As for schooling I did it the hard way. Two year community college, as I knew schooling was important, but I had no focus. Worked a few dead end jobs. Then got smart and went back for my engineering degree. Funnest job I ever had was working as a Campus Security Officer at a major private university while working on my engineering degree.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

In germany mechanics are paid like the professionals they are. It seems to only be a north american thing to under pay our trades people. Now having said that, I know a couple of dry wallers and plumbers make more in a year then I do and I have 2 degrees.
Days camping in 2013 - 33 so far
2 more 3 or 4 day trips planned.
salexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #9

I have saved a lot of money over the years by doing my own work. My most recent project was not one that had to be done, but I did because I wanted to. I upgraded my transmission with a transmission kit, which was not a bolt on item. It consisted of pulling the valve body and replacing some of the valves and lot of the springs, as well as replacing the separator plate. Wow! What a difference! A 5 hour job for me, and one that transmission shops charge about $500 for. I paid $100 for the parts. It was fun and I learned a lot. Oh, yea, and my day job? I sit at a desk and support computer systems. A computer is just a machine that uses software instead of moving parts. They are all machines to me. Skill is needed for for both.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman View Post
mcfarmall, I'm not being a smart-aleck, but could you enlighten me as to why you feel it is an advantage to go to college? I am glad my son went to college, but some kids are competent, just not "college material".
Hey Soul, I think he was making the opposite point.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote