Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #21

Is that why Ford is going to a fully boxed frame for the Super Duty trucks in 2017? There are two reasons for c-channel. It's cheap and easy to modify.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #22

Because I admit total ignorance on this subject I would ask all knowledgeable parties to summarize their explanations of this.

Admittance: as an ignorant bystander, I am currently inclined to believe that this demonstrated flexing is a somewhat better than the alternative - cracking; which obviously leads to many greater problems.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 AM   #23

well this definetly sums it up for me.....I will now after seeing that video NOT take my Ford rock crawling. And here I thought that my tow vehicle would work for both!
All kidding aside the debate will go on forever about what is better and why but but ask Toyota how box frames have been working for them! In the winter climate where salt calcium brine and whatever else they are putting on the roads these days gets into the frame and cant be easily selfcleaned out the result is not good. This coming from a Toyota person who is only driving a domestic because of towing capacity. After personally changing dozens of rusted out box frames it leaves me wondering?

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #24

Imagine this in the video. WHAT IF..this was conducted on a grade? Say 10-15%..somewhere in between...sideways. THEN what truck would you wanna be in? I could see the Dodge tipping more and more. I for one, would want all four paws on the ground. I've seen this video a thousand times (working for FORD) and it still doesn't prove a thing. There are thousands and thousands of videos on the subject. Both trucks are equally as nice..in my opinion. I wouldn't kick either one out of bed for eating cheese crackers. If you get where I'm coming from.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chata View Post
There is a reason for Ford to build the frame that way. It has to do with durability and longevity . Pickup trucks are not built for off road, especially heavy duty ones. They are meant to haul and tow heavy loads. The frame being exposed to cycles of no load to heavy load is under stress. By being able to flex under a heavy load and snap back into its original shape, it does not crack , stays bent or damaged. Semi trucks' frames are built the same way. The video proves that heavy duty Fords are perfect for towing. Do some more reading on that one before jumping into a wrong conclusions. It is all just PR stunt from other manufacturers. By the way, I am a Toyota guy

I thought I was going to see one of the Toyota videos when I read the title........

I guess I will have to sell my flexible Ford and get a Ram.
Or as others have mentioned avoid big offset ramps that are often set up in campgrounds.

Cheers
Old 04-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #26

That is precisely why a Dodge will get stuck in a paved parking lot! The flex frame keeps the wheels in contact with the ground. The old 50's and 60's Ford 4x4s were much more flexible that any of the new pickups, and they were much better off road than the new trucks. They were also much worse on the highway.
Drive what best suites your needs.
Rumblejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblejohn View Post
That is precisely why a Dodge will get stuck in a paved parking lot! The flex frame keeps the wheels in contact with the ground. The old 50's and 60's Ford 4x4s were much more flexible that any of the new pickups, and they were much better off road than the new trucks. They were also much worse on the highway.
Drive what best suites your needs.

I drove my Ram HDs a combined 170,000 miles and never got stuck anywhere. I want my suspension to do the work of keeping my tires in contact with the ground. The less torsional movement in the frame, the better.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #28

Who cares about the truck. Let's do that test with a fifth wheel. Now that would be cool.....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Who cares about the truck. Let's do that test with a fifth wheel. Now that would be cool.....

Ha!