Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #1

06 4Runner and x19h

I have an 06 4Runner and I’m looking into getting the x19h. The 4Runner has 5000 lb tow rating I believe and the x19h 3800 day weight and a 4950 gross vehicle weight. Can I safely tow with this combination and does anyone have any experience towing the x19h with a 4 runner?

Thanks
Greg
Ghoffman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Forum, Greg.

What is your payload on your 4Runner? Fully loaded, the 19H could have nearly 750 pounds of tongue weight. Add your weigh and your family and supplies weight, do you exceed the 4Runner's payload (sticker on drivers door jamb).

Your 4Runner will be pretty maxed with this trailer and may be a white knuckle experience.

Hopefully, other 4Runner owners will weigh in.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #3

I have a 2014 4Runner, which, depending on where you look for numbers, has equal or greater towing capacity. Others will probably do the math, but I can tell you that I absolutely wouldn't do this. I tow a 195RB Baja, 3750 gross, and that's the max I would be comfortable with. My philosophy of towing, if you would call it that, is that, unless I will only tow on flat ground and straight roads, I want a pretty good size margin of error. Even with my setup, I often have to slow way down on even moderately steep grades (FYI, I'm mostly towing in the Montana Rockies). As for braking, I can really feel the effects of that much weight back there and really wouldn't want more.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

Towing Guide will tell your your tow rating. Then you need to look at the yellow door sticker for your payload rating.

https://www.veurinksrv.com/fckimages...wGuide2006.pdf

The lowest gross rating is 6,400#. A 5000# trailer should be okay by the gross rating.

Payload is the next thing to look at.

After that look at frontal ratings.

Then look at where you will be towing. Flats and hills are much different than mountains.

Nothing worse than white knuckling on longer trips wishing you had a smaller TT or a bigger TV.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #5

The one other thing to consider here is the age of your 4Runner. At 14-15 years old, your vehicle generally does not have as much oomph as it did when new. By that age with typical mileage engines are getting tired, and power output is often down from original. Springs and shocks are getting worn. I would absolutely tow this combo with a new 4Runner, but if yours has had a good useful life, the load might do it in.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote