Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2022, 09:32 AM   #1

16XRB Battery replacement (AGM)

I have been putting this off as we have been using powered sites but its finally time to get a new battery. I am new to all this but I am thinking of going AGM just for the maintenance free aspect. Will an AGM work with my 16XRB or do I need to modify anything? This is the one I am considering.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...2498p.html#plp

Alternately I could save $100 and buy this wet battery but I do not know much about battery maintenance(filling with water ect.), what would you do?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...2492p.html#plp
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:53 AM   #2

I believe an AGM should work fine as a drop in replacement. I was originally considering using AGM batteries but went with lithium.

If you are into RVing for a long time maybe look into a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. Supposedly last for years, lighter, more usable capacity and also no maintenance.
Downsides-
1.Cost. Probably at least 2x of the AGM battery, but if you buy 2 AGM over the years as compared to 1 lithium it may pay off.
2. Possibly a need to change existing battery converter to support lithium's slightly higher voltage. Some newer converters may support lithium batteries, usually a small switch. Or keep using what converter you have and loose approximately 20% of battery's capacity by not fully charging it. But with that lower charge level you will extend it's life. Still ahead in that you can only draw a lead acid to 50% before damage starts, yet the lithium will have 80% usable.
3. Cold weather- Below 32deg F (of course 0C for you Canadians!) the lithium shouldn't be charged, but most decent Lithium batteries have a low temp cutoff.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:53 AM   #3

My 16XRB came with a Group 24 Marine battery. I just up graded to a group 27, and use my solar panel to charge. One of us uses a CPAP, and went 10 days Boondocking at Assateague island last year.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:07 PM   #4

Do you know what converter you have in your HTT? What year is your HTT?

I installed an AMG 2 years ago. I did not check my converter, and it has been working flawlessly. I only went to an AMG to try maintenance free.

Maintenance on a battery is not a big deal. It is really easy. A couple times a year, take a screw driver and pop the caps off (there is 6). Check the fluid level. The "water" level should be above the cells, and below the lower rim of the opening. The cells can be damaged if the water level drops below the top of the cell. If and when you need to add water, ONLY use DISTILLED water. Not filtered water, no bottled drinking water, no RO water, no tap water. Only Distilled. Once topped off, put the caps back on.

When I get a new camper, I check the cells monthly, which was good, as this HTT had a bad converter that was over charging and boiling the water out. after a new replacement converter (warranty item) I have never had any issues. I believe my last old wet cell battery, I think I might have added water once in the previous 4 years. The year it died, I added water that spring. It was 9 years old at that point and I was not nice to it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
My 16XRB came with a Group 24 Marine battery. I just up graded to a group 27, and use my solar panel to charge. One of us uses a CPAP, and went 10 days Boondocking at Assateague island last year.
Did you need to change the battery box to fit group 27? Or were u able to fit it in the original battery box the 16XRB came with?
Old 07-19-2022, 02:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Do you know what converter you have in your HTT? What year is your HTT?.
No idea what converter I have it’s just the factory one. The trailer is a 2016 Jayco XRB. I’m hoping the AGM works with what I have as I’m leaning towards getting the one I linked above.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #7

Yes. The group 27 box is the same width, but longer. It fits on top of the angles like before, but I had to make up some plastic pieces on the sides, to keep the box centered. While I was at it I added a battery disconnect switch, and duel propane tanks. I also mounted the regulator on a steel bracket, to remove it from the front of the camper. Never did like how that was mounted
Attached Thumbnails
910DB16D-8917-4248-B9B5-648990977D7F.jpg   FBD2B2C1-1FFE-4989-B761-BBB8A78DA9B5.jpg  
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:00 PM   #8

Thank you everyone for the battery tips and advice. Would love to go Lithium but we don't use the trailer enough to justify the expense. I think it will be around $1200 by the time the dust settles!

One thing I read about AGM batteries is they can suffer from over charging, can anyone comment on this and how to prevent this if its true?