Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #1

16XRB sofa to storage conversion?

We never use the sofa on our hybrid except to put stuff on it. I'm thinking it's time to make a way to formalize this arrangement and get the stuff to actually stay put in travel. I was thinking about building a framework and using mesh fabric between them to basically make a box that I could fill. But now I'm wondering if it might be as simple as hanging a "trunk organizer" across it. Has anyone done anything like this?

Sarah94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
M&A

Wow, that's interesting. We never use the dinette and were contemplating deleting it.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #3

Consider extending the countertop so you have more room for food prep, etc., and put storage below.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #4

There are a couple of spots on our X19H where I have used hooks and a strong bungee cord to keep items in place during transit. We keep all of our tall items (tables, chairs, paddles) in the shower with a bungee to hold them. I do the same to cordon off the area in front of the fridge to keep a case of beer etc from sliding across the floor. You could easily do the same across the sofa area. The nice thing about doing this is that the cord pops off easily on arrival, stores away, and you don't even notice the hooks.

Like the idea of more counter space over top.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
...I have used hooks and a strong bungee cord to keep items in place during transit. We keep all of our tall items (tables, chairs, paddles) in the shower with a bungee to hold them...
Hi,

Please let me know what hooks you use in the shower area that can take the pulling of a strong bungee with a table pushing against it on the turns.

Thanks!
DavidAUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #6

When we had our pop-up many moons ago, it had a "gaucho" which is similar to yours but had a flip out board for an extra bed. We never sat on it, we never used it for a bed. I build a box on top of it for storage. It worked great. I built it to be easily removed when sold. A few screws and throw the cushions back on, viola!

In your case, it looks like what ever you do will need to allow access to the removable panel. Just make sure to keep the cushions for later when you sell/trade it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

When we bought our tt the owner has the couch out with bins in its place. The extra storage was nice but I wanted the couch so I put it back in. Now that I have finished redoing the floor I am going to put drawers under it since the space is totally open and the extra storage will be nice.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #8

16XRB sofa to storage conversion?

Took out the cushions, stained the plywood with a leftover waterproofing stain from our deck, mounted hooks for a cargo bed / truck tie-down net, and went camping. Love it! It holds the camp chairs and camp stove in transit, and once those go outside it gives a place for duffels for clothes and baskets that get a top for extra counter space. This was once of the best things I've done to the trailer thus far.
Sarah94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

I'd love to do this, but it is the Dog's Day bed. (yea sleeps with me at night, mama in the back bed).
I keep lots of stuff in plastic milk crates, and then just slide them under the table. I have some outdoor rubber back carpet runners (what you get off the roll at depot or lowes, 3" wide) under the table to keep stuff from sliding around.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote