Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

17C New to Me: Question#3: Wheels & Tires

Round three: As per the Jayco Owners manual I have looked up online, my camper should have D load range tires, however, the previous owner has put C load range tires on it. Do I need the D rated tires? I know that is factory spec. But my other question is this, is it possible to upgrade to 14 or 15" wheels or should I stay with the 13" wheel? I'm pretty sure that newer models with upgraded aluminum wheels have I think 14's???? Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
mck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #2

My 2011 with aluminum rims has 14". I replaced with load "C" tires. I think they have 1,700+/- rating. The GVWR of the 17C is 3,500#, Don't think you'd go wrong with "D"s if that's what you chose.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

penguin149 - Thanks for the response! What size tires are on your 14 inch wheels? Just trying to remember off the top of my head but I think my 13's are 180 or 185's?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #4

Sorry for the delay! The weather here has been awful for the past couple of days! My tires are ST205/75/R14. Got 'em at Sam's for about $55/each in 2014.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #5

No worries at all....I'm assuming since both are basically the same, I should be able to use the same wheel tire combo that you have?!?!?!
Old 04-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #6

Personally, I would run the numbers. There should be a yellow sticker on a cargo hold with the gvw numbers. Technically about 10-15 percent of that weight is on the tongue. I would split the GVW number in half and that is the absolute minimal load rating of the tire you need. Personally, I would upgrade at least one load rating.

I looked up a 2010 17C specifications, which has a GVW listed as 3500 pounds, and estimated tongue weight of 350 pounds (10%), weight on each tire is 1575 pounds. A TowMax ST185/80R13 tire which was the stock Load C tire on my htt, if it was installed on a single axle trailer has a load rating of 1480 pounds. The tire would be overloaded by 95 pounds each. I bought a new Carlisle RH(??) load D tire and as I recall the load rating was over 1700 pounds each. This would be a good tire.

An overloaded Trailer Tire has a great chance of blowing and tearing out the wheel well, causing a lot of damage.

I have a twin axle HTT, I had load rated C tires that were nearly 100 percent at capacity per the yellow sticker, utilizing Towmax load C tires, when I had to replace the tires upgraded to load D, to improve safety factor. The tires require an additional 15 psi, and I believe the HTT tows better.

I would run the numbers and do not run under rated tires, unless the unit only goes from the storage lot to the season campsite.

I see that Carlisle still does not have the ST175/80R13 load range D tires on their website. I bought them through Discount Tires, and they do not have them listed either, they just became available about a year ago.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Personally, I would run the numbers. There should be a yellow sticker on a cargo hold with the gvw numbers. Technically about 10-15 percent of that weight is on the tongue. I would split the GVW number in half and that is the absolute minimal load rating of the tire you need. Personally, I would upgrade at least one load rating.

I looked up a 2010 17C specifications, which has a GVW listed as 3500 pounds, and estimated tongue weight of 350 pounds (10%), weight on each tire is 1575 pounds. A TowMax ST185/80R13 tire which was the stock Load C tire on my htt, if it was installed on a single axle trailer has a load rating of 1480 pounds. The tire would be overloaded by 95 pounds each. I bought a new Carlisle RH(??) load D tire and as I recall the load rating was over 1700 pounds each. This would be a good tire.

An overloaded Trailer Tire has a great chance of blowing and tearing out the wheel well, causing a lot of damage.

I have a twin axle HTT, I had load rated C tires that were nearly 100 percent at capacity per the yellow sticker, utilizing Towmax load C tires, when I had to replace the tires upgraded to load D, to improve safety factor. The tires require an additional 15 psi, and I believe the HTT tows better.

I would run the numbers and do not run under rated tires, unless the unit only goes from the storage lot to the season campsite.

I see that Carlisle still does not have the ST175/80R13 load range D tires on their website. I bought them through Discount Tires, and they do not have them listed either, they just became available about a year ago.

My 2009 17C came from the factory with 13" load range D tires. I can tell you from experience that they're a bit hard to find. I had to get one changed out and the tire store installed a "C" by mistake. When I questioned them about it they said not to worry; they would have had to order a "D". I'm living with the "C" because I couldn't wait and I'm worrying.

My plan is to get some 14" rims and put on some "D" tires which will give me a bit of wiggle room. I do worry a bit about the outside diameter as there is not a ton of room in the wheel well. I suppose I can use the "C" as a spare.

If I go with 14" I think I can get radials--is this a good idea?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #8

JaGiven - Thanks so much for the response. As I stated earlier, I understand that my camper came equipped with the "D" range tires. I didn't know what tires came on the newer models of the X17Z with the 14" aluminum wheels as it is essentially the same camper with a slightly different floor plan. Most of those that I have seen have the aluminum wheels, but I haven't physically gone to look at the tire size. I just want to do what is best and if I have to stay with what I have as far as size that's fine, I was just wondering what my options were. I really appreciate your insight on the issue.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #9

Isaacs - Thanks for the response! You are in the same boat with me! I have done some research on this and it seems to be a mixed bag of thoughts on this issue. I was wondering the same thing as you as far as radials go for the camper. I have always preferred a radial tire, but still debating on the camper. You gain sidewall strength with the bias which I do think is important. BUT, the radial is also going to run cooler which is also a plus!!! I would love to know other folks thoughts on this as well!