Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #1

17Z Owners

I have a 17Z on order; guess I should have asked earlier but are you pleased with your trailer?

I ordered with the extra 2 inch lift; anyone have that and did it make a difference?

My order was sight unseen as no dealers in Virginia had any in stock to view. I liked the size and weight; suits the two of us.

Last question; do you think we can fit two bikes inside the trailer while underway. We will be towing with an SUV and cannot come up with any other way to transport them.

Anything else you would like to offer would be appreciated, we expect delivery in March.

Thanks much,
Rich
powhatanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #2

I almost bought the same camper, we got the 184bh over a coin toss. I like the 17 my wife wanted the 184 but I love it also. We thought the same and really looked at both. You can fit 2 bikes easily in there. We do the same but wrap blankets on either side to save the furniture
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

We carry two bikes in our X18D. I bought a two bike stand to keep them upright and cover them with an old blanket.
mnebinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
Site Team

The only concern I have seen on this forum regarding that model is limited cargo carrying capacity. Just have to watch how you pack, and you are good to go!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #5

I'm encouraged,
thanks folks,
Rich
Old 01-18-2015, 12:41 AM   #6

Just picked up our 17Z today, towed it 200 miles home behind our Honda Pilot. Unloaded at 3060 lbs and no problems with a standard hitch and brake controller (no WDH). Plenty of room inside for bikes and other gear.

Love it so far, driveway camping tonight!
norcalRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:08 AM   #7

Congrats to both of you new owners!
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #8

Thanks NorCal and Gilly, one more concern solved. By March, we'll be ready to go.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalRVer View Post
Just picked up our 17Z today, towed it 200 miles home behind our Honda Pilot. Unloaded at 3060 lbs and no problems with a standard hitch and brake controller (no WDH). Plenty of room inside for bikes and other gear.

Love it so far, driveway camping tonight!

We used to have a 17Z and towed with the Honda Pilot. We used a WDH, though. I know the Pilot doesn't recommend a WDH, but towing a trailer without it would tend to put a huge tongue long on the hitch. Do you have airbags installed to keep the Pilot level during towing?

Since it was only the two of us, we used to put the bikes in the back of the Pilot -- take the front wheel off and the seatpost, and they stack up nicely with some blankets between them.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #10

Didn't have airbags and the Pilot only dropped an inch or two when towing the new 17Z (unloaded of course). Once I get it loaded up, I'll need to get to a CAT scale to check the weight. But it didn't feel unstable or any sway when towing at highway speeds. I may add the WDH if the TT with the added weight in the future....
Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #11

Have had our 17Z for 5 seasons with no problems. Everything still works like new. I use a 600/6000 Equal-i-zer WDH and Prodigy brake controller. I bring it to the dealer every other year for axle maintenance (bearings, brake adjustments). Still have the original battery. I replaced the tires/rims last year and went to 14". 2" lift is a great idea, they didn't offer that back in 2010. We carry 2 small 20" bikes in the RV with no problems (use towels/blankets for padding). There are lots of good mods from other 17Z owners around, look here and on RV.net.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #12

thanks much folks, good info.
Rich
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #13

Hey Rich there is a lot of good camping around Powhatan. Best place has got to be James River State Park. Also check out Rudd's Creek West of South Hill. Hope to catch you at a CG with that rig. Have the Starcraft equivalent and love it.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #14

We used to have a Kiwi 17A, an ancestor of the X17Z. We carried our bikes in the trailer. Tie them down with bungie cords. Things can and do bounce around pretty good in there. Even doing this for the 10 years we owned the trailer, the last summer we had it, the bikes moved and scratched the refrigerator door. We have a PU now and the bikes go in the bed.

Quote:
Didn't have airbags and the Pilot only dropped an inch or two when towing the new 17Z (unloaded of course). Once I get it loaded up, I'll need to get to a CAT scale to check the weight. But it didn't feel unstable or any sway when towing at highway speeds. I may add the WDH if the TT with the added weight in the future....
It's not the rear squat that's an issue, it's the weight, that is steering control, you're taking off the front end. Without WD, that's why Honda has rated that hitch so low, so that you don't lose the steering control. Even using air bags doesn't help this because all they do is raise the rear end, they don't redistribute weight back to the front wheels.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #15

Did you have any issues installing the Equalizer hitch? Looking at the frame on my 17Z, there doesn't appear to be much room to secure the hitch bar support brackets. If you made it work, can you send a photo over to give the approx. measurements where you found room to attach the brackets? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Did you have any issues installing the Equalizer hitch? Looking at the frame on my 17Z, there doesn't appear to be much room to secure the hitch bar support brackets. If you made it work, can you send a photo over to give the approx. measurements where you found room to attach the brackets? Thanks!
RV is in storage so I can't take pics. Many 17Z owners use the Equalizer so it shouldn't be an issue, unless Jayco has made some new configuration changes in the tongue area. Ideally the L brackets should be mounted 32" from the hitch.

Per the install manual:
"Placing the brackets at 32” back puts the least amount of stress on the trailer and hitch components, and provides the most comfortable ride. Brackets should be placed at 32” whenever possible. In some cases where there is an obstruction at 32” that cannotbe easily moved, like a battery rail or propane tank support, the link plates may be moved forward toward the coupler to a minimum distance no closer than 27” on center."
Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #17

Congratulations on your new X17Z! It is a great unit packing a lot of camper into a small , easy to maintain unit.

We have had our X17Z since 2010 after downsizing from a Class A motorhome. Our only regret is not having made the switch sooner.

You should check to see if a front mount receiver hitch is available for your particular tow vehicle and if so, consider that as an option for carrying your bikes. As noted previously, the X17Z has limited cargo carrying capacity, which is not a problem with proper planning.

I think it would be difficult putting a fully assembled bicycle in the Z and little cumbersome having it there while travelling, but i guess it would be doable.

Again, congratulations on a wise choice and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #18

We have had our 17z for three years now. Great trailer. Bought it used. The previous owners took good care of it - with one exception. They had new tires put on because they suffered a blow out. After picking up the trailer and while driving it home I figured I should stop at a gas station and check the tire pressure. It was at 35 PSI! Needless to say it's no wonder they suffered a blow out. Tire pressure on this single axle trailer is critical - make sure it's 65 PSI and no less - better to be higher than lower. If too low the tires will build up heat and fail. Also discovered that the new replacement tires that were put on by the local RV shop where they bought it were the incorrect model with too low a weight rating. I promptly replaced them. I check tire pressures before each trip. I use a black and decker battery operated air pump which has made life so much easier. I do use a weight distribution hitch when towing with my Ford Flex- makes a big difference. Have had problems with the water heater and stove burner, otherwise it's been a good trailer - not too big, not too small. Enjoy!
Bluedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #19

2008 Jayco 17c ex-port, gross 3,500 lb. I tow with sway and stabilizing bars. We routinely carry one bike in the camper and have carried 4 bikes over 1,000 miles with no issues other than putting bike in/out in such position as they do not shift.

Weight distribution bars are need on my truck to keep level. I'm about 350 lb hitch weight. I can tell on highways when sway bar is on and when off each time a vehicle, especially a truck, passes, but I do not feel unsafe without them.

Figure out how many gallons of water are needed for the number of flushes, hand washing and lunch prep needed for a day of travel. Then figure house many seconds of water from your hose equals a gallon. That is the number of gallons (actually seconds) we travel with fresh water. We do not travel empty water, nor full.
Frank Rader is offline   Reply With Quote