Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

2000 23b sofa cushions

We just purchased a 2000 23b. Obviously it is old and used, but for the most part is in good shape.

I have several questions:
1. How do you know when to replace the pop-out tent canvas? Ours look a little stained and mildewy... so I'm not sure if we can clean them somehow or if I need to purchase replacements.

2. Also, the cushions on the dinette and sofa sections are old and tattering. I think I can reupholster the dinnette cushions with some efforts, but I don't think I can access the sofa cushions. Does anyone have tips on how to solve these problems? With either links for places to purchase replacements, or tips on how to recover the sofa? I would prefer a DIY option.

Thanks!
adayfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #2

I can't answer #2, but for #1, use 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Have that and a bucket of clean water. Take a sponge and soak in the bleach, wipe it on the stained canvas, followed a few minutes later with the clean water. Don't be afraid to soak it. You may have to repeat the process once or twice. This will not get out all the really dark stains out, but it will kill the mildew and the odor and take care of lighter staining.

Let it dry and air out really good and then reseal it with some tent waterproofing spray. Also reseal the seams with seam sealer, both of which can be found at any camping supply store.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #3

There's also some stuff sold at my local hardware store for mold/mildew but not sure if its really any more effective than a light bleach mixture and soap. You can find variety of cushions on ebay for instance.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #4

I have a '00 23b also. Even though all my upholstery is in great condition, I'm not fond of the pinkish, flowery decor....so....when you figure it out, PLEASE share!!!!
Good luck
Kennedy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

When cleaning the canvas with bleach, do i take the canvas off the camper, or leave it on?
adayfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adayfam View Post
When cleaning the canvas with bleach, do i take the canvas off the camper, or leave it on?
Our 2001 Kiwi tent ends were in generally good condition, but because there were some pretty significant mold and stains we removed the tent ends for cleaning. It sounds like a bit of work, but it was really pretty straightforward. The cleaning is much easier once the canvas is removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
I used an automotive brake star wheel adjusting tool and then a paint can opener with 90 degree bent end to seat the edge home into the track. For the top J channel I found it easiest to flip the canvas back onto the top of the camper roof. That allowed me to stand up and insert the rubber. Much easier than working over my head as I started to do. FWIW. vic
This is the thread for the above quote.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...1-a-11609.html

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote