Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

2003 23b Kiwi AC roof sag

We bought this unit last year as our first camper other than a beat up old pop-up we owned over 15 years ago. As usual, you learn the things to look for on the next purchase, but we've got what we've got for now. Overall it's in great shape, but we've got a good amount of roof sag around the AC. It has the roofing material with the "cotton-ish" backing, like the canvas coverings on 70's car roofs. With the roof sag, probably 1 inch, it gets a pretty good puddle and a little leaking. This leaking has caused the roof to weaken in that area, and of course, that roofing material then "wicks" the water all over the place. That wicking has caused some lifting of the roofing material as well. Even though the roof material is lifted in places, there's no leaks or tears anywhere else. I'd like to hear if anyone has done anything to re-support that area of the roof.

I had found a thread last year on the forums with a write up and pictures of something a member did, and now can't find it for the life of me. It was something to the affect of braces he made that went over the cabinets and re-supported the roof from the inside. Being a 2003 model, the overall value of the trailer isn't worth some major roof repair or replacement, especially since this is the only problem area. I'd just like to alleviate this puddling of water, which asks a lot out of any sealing job I can do. Also figure it would be nice to show a potential new owner when it comes time to sell that it's already taken care of. While an interior roof support may be a bit unsightly, it looks better than the water damage that it could have.

For the time being, we've been keeping it covered when not in use, and jacked to a slight slant while camping. But the sag is just enough that you can't slant it enough to get rid of the entire puddle, you need to tow it to make it all go. So I'd like to get rid of as much of the sag so we don't have to worry about being in a decent rain while camping. I'm one of those people that sits there knowing it's puddling, and it drives me nuts LOL
kmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote